Menu
Expat.com

Proving My Financial Situation

Last activity 22 January 2023 by Sunshine03

masycheff

Hi Everyone,

We are moving to Germany in coming months. My wife is a EU national (Lithuania) and I'm holding an Israeli passport. We are going to live in Berlin. My understanding is that while my wife is entitled to live and work in Germany (she just needs to register in a local Bürgerbüro), I'd need to show that I have sufficient funds on my bank account.

I'll appreciate an advice on the following:

1. Should I show the money on a bank account in Germany (that is I'd need to transfer finds from my Israeli bank account to Germany)?
  2. I was said in the German embassy in Israel that the amount of money I need to show depends on where I'm going to live. Does anybody know what's the required amount in Berlin?
  3. Do I really need to show any finances if I'm going to begin working in a German company as soon as I get the residence permit?

Thank you very much,

Alex

beppi

You can prove sufficient finances by having a valid employment contract, yes. But if you come without job, you need to have, I think (but please confirm with the embassy) the amount in a blocked account.

I never heard that the amount differs with location. Normally it is around 10000€ per year of visa (the amount is adjusted yearly for inflation).

Sunshine03
You can prove sufficient finances by having a valid employment contract, yes. But if you come without job, you need to have, I think (but please confirm with the embassy) the amount in a blocked account.
I never heard that the amount differs with location. Normally it is around 10000€ per year of visa (the amount is adjusted yearly for inflation).
-@beppi

Do you have a source for that misinformation?  Please remember that the rules for EU citizens and their families are not the same as for TCN.

@Yoginee, here is another example

Articles to help you in your expat project in Germany

• Getting married in Germany
    Getting married in Germany

Non-German citizens can get married in Germany, whether to a German citizen or another foreign national. However, ...

• Entry requirements for Germany
    Entry requirements for Germany

Nationals of the EU and EEA can travel to Germany as short-term visitors without restrictions, with a national ...

• Summer jobs in Germany
    Summer jobs in Germany

The summer season in Germany begins in June and lasts until the end of August. These three months of the year ...

• Elderly care in Germany
    Elderly care in Germany

Germany may not have the sunshine and beaches of the Mediterranean or Southeast Asia, but it is among Europe's ...

• Buying property in Frankfurt
    Buying property in Frankfurt

Frankfurt has a very lively real estate market, and buying a house there is, without a doubt, a worthy long-term ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Frankfurt
    Popular neighbourhoods in Frankfurt

Frankfurt is an international city and an important financial center in Europe, and each neighborhood has a story ...

• Connecting to the internet in Germany
    Connecting to the internet in Germany

Staying connected in Germany is easy thanks to its advanced telecommunications network and the widely available ...

• Accommodation in Stuttgart
    Accommodation in Stuttgart

Stuttgart, the capital city of the Baden-Württemberg region, is one of Germany's most diverse cities, ...

All of Germany's guide articles