Citizenship by a descent "jus sanguinis"

Hello everyone, recently found out my family is eligible for Croatian citizenship through ancestors born in Croatia back in 1878 and 1911.

Already contacted the embassy and they confirmed i/we are eligible to apply(just received the forms to start the process).

This is mostly regarding my brother who has Serbian citizenship so he can visit me in USA through ESTA program(otherwise impossible).

Guess i have two questions here:

1. If you went through this process please share your experience(how long it took, any complications, was there a language test..)
  2. Is it really that easy to get the visa through ESTA program or that is not a guarantee by any means that you will be able to travel abroad? Friends of mine just paid $21 online and filled out the forms after which they were good to travel to USA..

Thank you all and hopefully this post gets some attention and replies.

Hello Ivan Crawford,

Thank you for starting this new thread to ask your questions.

Let's hope you will be able to gather the needed information on the Croatia forum based on people's personal experiences with such cases.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Ivan Crawford Hey Ivan, I know this inquiry is a couple of months old by now but I couldn't log into the forum for some silly reason. I know one person born in Slavonia with citizenships of BiH, Croatia, and Serbia and I know of another woman born in Slavonia who gave up her Croatian citizenship years ago to obtain German, and was still ineligible to renew Croatian citizenship a couple of years ago. I'm mentioning these two cases because they might be relevant to how and when your brother obtained Serbian citizenship.

I highly recommend contacting the lawyer network through Expat in Croatia as I wish they existed when I applied for Croatian citizenship a few years back--they have a lot of incredibly useful info on their site if you haven't had a chance to look at it yet. It was a bumpy road and involving paperwork from the states and BiH (were my father was actually born) but eventually the process turned out in my favor.

Good luck!

@lucyland please tell me next process

Balram, I recommend visiting the "Expat in Croatia" website.