Re-locating to Zanzibar from Port Elizabeth SOUTH AFRICA with my dog

Hi,

I will be relocating to Zanzibar towards the end of this year with my dog. He is a 4yr old Yorkie (beaver yorkie)

What do I need to do to get him allowed to Zanzibar?

Thanks

Odette Stevens

Hello Odette,

Welcome on board !

Till members provide you some feedback, have a look at the official website : https://www.de.tzembassy.go.tz/services … 0Tanzania.

Regards

Bhavna

@ostevens7652

Hi there

As they say in Tanzania, Karibu sana!

We have moved to Dar with our pets and it's not too difficult. Tanzania does require a permit and the original needs to be presented at the airport for clearance. It is much easier to use someone here to sort out that for you. There are a couple of things like how is your dog travelling, ie cargo, hand luggage, and excess baggage which affect where you pick him up and the clearance. Are you going to Dar and disembarking or are you going directly to Zanzibar? The best though is to have a Tanzania Pet services company/person to help in Tanzania.

We used a vet here and someone to meet us at the airport but we were coming from Zambia. We've lived in five African countries and moved three dogs and a cat around with us, so I have some idea of moving and really WHAT NOT TO DO!!!. Let me know if you need someone to contact you to assist you.

Really exciting times ahead for you.

Hi Pippa,

Thank you so much fo the info and reply.  I am looking at using a MOVE A PET service so i hope they know all this..

Kindest regards,

Odette

:)

@Bhavna  thank yo so much for the info.

Kindest,

Odette

:)

@Pippa Dones hi, I wonder if you have any useful info for myself. I am sailing with my dog and want to visit Tanzania. Do you have any contacts I can get in touch with to find out which port u can enter at. Thank you :) simone

Depends on where you are sailing from.  I am going through MOVE-A-PET here in Port Elizabeth SA, they are arranging all permits for me.  Make sure your doggie has its updated rabies injection and its booster, it has to be chipped too apparently.  and there are permits that you will have to buy to allow him in.  I have to pay 785US$ for these permits...

@Pippa Dones Thanks a lot! I intend to travel with my 15-year old son our two dogs. And am kind of worried. We plan to spend there about 1 month from the mid of july and figure out wether we would like it in order to relocate. We live in Sofia, Bulgaria and guess will be much more different and exotic to us.