Help with cell south african phone on contract with vodacom!

Using a vodacom pre paid contract phone.

Can someone explain in plain language the steps when traveling from south africa

1. On leaving Cape Town I type  "Roamon"?

2. This means on arrival in Maritius I can send & receive whatsapp without extra cost.

3. Will I have Gmail & Google maps & Facebook?

4. Can I get calls without extra.

Can I make calls using my contract airtime.?

Really needed some advise.

Thank you for any assistance 😊

Hi Cynthia.  It is very expensive to do all your business and calls on roaming when you are abroad from SA through Vodacom.  Tariffs are very high and your contract conditions and tariffs in SA do not apply to abroad.  So be very careful.  You even pay a tariff per minute for RECEIVING calls.   When you arrive in Mauritius you must register on a network that is compatible with Vodacom.  We always use EMTEL.

The better suggestion is for you to obtain a little dongle/router in Mauritius and buy a package of data.  They have very good value and encourage all your friends and contacts to use WhatsApp calls.  Then you are not going through Vodacom but through your local Wifi.

I do not know for how long you intend staying on the Island but you can get a WiFi number and card valid for a month for RS999 (which is just about R400) with uncapped internet use.

Hope this will help,

@Katrienkatryn yes thank you, it helps. Have a great weekend 😀