Menu
Expat.com

Credit Zero card

Last activity 20 March 2023 by Fred

Santiago102

Hello,

Does anyone have experience of this card?  Is it essentially a free credit card or are there hidden charges in having to take out a loan at high interest rates?  Can one just avoid the loan aspect?

Many thanks

Fred

Best I can tell, they offer zero percent interest for a specified time, then you get charged at whatever rate they fancy.

I'm guessing the intention is to suck in fools who think they're getting some sort of wonderful deal then, when you've spent too much to pay back, they charge you stupid interest rates.

Credit cards, unless you pay back the full balance every month, are a very easy way to empty your bank account but get nothing back for your money.

Tanuki714
Best I can tell, they offer zero percent interest for a specified time, then you get charged at whatever rate they fancy.
I'm guessing the intention is to suck in fools who think they're getting some sort of wonderful deal then, when you've spent too much to pay back, they charge you stupid interest rates.
Credit cards, unless you pay back the full balance every month, are a very easy way to empty your bank account but get nothing back for your money.
-@Fred

To Fred’s point, check the grace period (when interests start accruing, for most « reputable » cards, same as billing cycle) and pay off the full balance before that.  That way you get whatever benefits (miles, cash back etc.) without paying interests.

HTH

Tanuki

Santiago102

Thanks to both.  I now gather that, like any credit card in the UK, failure to pay in full by the due date renders you liable to interest payments, and these can be quite steep in this case.  I have not paid any interest in the past as the payments are automatically deducted by my bank each month.  Carte Zero seem able to do the same through the IBAN system.  Getting a debit or credit card from the bank is an expense, so this free card may be a good idea. But beware anyone who habitually runs up a debt on cards!

Fred

Unless you have advantages such as insurance on air travel or whatever, I strongly recommend avoiding credit cards.

Double that if, as in this case, the company is trying to sucker you in with a sweetener that hides the poison.

Santiago102

I have had credit cards before without problem, although in the UK.  I have never used the credit facility and would be happy if this were a debit card instead (please advise if you know of a free debit card).

Please elaborate on what is the sweetener and what the poison.

Thanks.

Tanuki714

@Santiago102

Hi,

A debit card and a credit card are two different products.

A debit card draws the funds « immediately » from a checking account (for a savings accounts, you are limited to x number of transactions a month -I want to say 10 but to confirm-). A credit card is basically a line of credit so you draw funds and don’t get charged until the grace period (as I said, usually on a decent card billing cycle meaning if you pay off the entire balance at the due date, no interests are incurred).

You can set a credit card to have automatic payments for a set amount OR for the full balance (what you mention already) on a specified date from a checking/savings account at the same bank or a different one.

Another key difference between debit and credit cards are is what happens in case of fraud. Usually (again, read the Terms and Conditions), fraudulent credit cards charges are « insured » and the bank must pay you back. In case of fraudulent debit card charges, limits are much higher (meaning it’s easier to empty your checking account).

Lastly, credit cards sometimes come with « extra » benefits like purchase protection, miles, cash back etc. Some debit cards do as well but typically less so.

If you can make sure you pay off the full balance within the grace period, a credit card is actually a better bet than a debit card (which is also why if you fall in the category of « pay off the full amount every billing cycle » credit card companies don’t make any money off of you).

It’s all about the terms and conditions of the card and understanding when interests start accruing, what protection you have if the card is used fraudulently and what benefits (miles, cash back etc.) you get out of using the card.

HTH

Tanuki

Santiago102

Thanks.  I have had several of both in the UK for over 40 years.  The difference is quite clear.

Fred
Please elaborate on what is the sweetener and what the poison.

Thanks.
-@Santiago102

The sweetener is looking like you get a free ride, thus are encouraged to build up debt.

The poison is the high interest people they con have to pay.

Articles to help you in your expat project in France

All of France's guide articles