Menu
Expat.com

Visa for Kids

Last activity 13 March 2023 by Leeds forever!

babayaga

Hello everyone 👋

Would someone please give me some guidance?

I'm a Belgian citizen.

My companion is a Russian citizen.

She has two girls.

She obtained a while ago her student visa, so is able to stay in Thailand for a prolonged time.

For her children, she has had to do border runs for them to still be accepted in the territory.

Now, she has "ran out" of border runs.

As they are now (as I understand it) limited to twice in a year.

As Russian citizens, I don't believe they're allowed to extend their stays simply by going to immigration (whereas I can).

Could you first confirm this information?

Therefore, in lacking solutions to stay longer in Thailand, we're considering to move very soon to another country.

Do you know if there are other solutions to prolong the children's visas without risking an overstay?

Do you know what would be the consequences of their overstay?

As I understand it, there's no fine for children below the age of 14.

The "only" risk would be for the parent, if the period of that overstay woud exceed 90 days, risking a ban from Thailand.

But also from the perspective that, if we would decide to move to the US, for instance, the US government could start to ask questions, and even maybe ban her from their territory.

That is my understanding, at least...

But maybe you have practical experiences to share to help me deal with this reality that we're facing.

Maybe one of you was in that situation and could share what they did... ?

I would be grateful...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read me 🙂

Leeds forever!
Hello everyone 👋
Would someone please give me some guidance?

I'm a Belgian citizen.
My companion is a Russian citizen.

She has two girls.

She obtained a while ago her student visa, so is able to stay in Thailand for a prolonged time.
For her children, she has had to do border runs for them to still be accepted in the territory.

Now, she has "ran out" of border runs.
As they are now (as I understand it) limited to twice in a year.
As Russian citizens, I don't believe they're allowed to extend their stays simply by going to immigration (whereas I can).
Could you first confirm this information?

Therefore, in lacking solutions to stay longer in Thailand, we're considering to move very soon to another country.

Do you know if there are other solutions to prolong the children's visas without risking an overstay?
Do you know what would be the consequences of their overstay?

As I understand it, there's no fine for children below the age of 14.
The "only" risk would be for the parent, if the period of that overstay woud exceed 90 days, risking a ban from Thailand.
But also from the perspective that, if we would decide to move to the US, for instance, the US government could start to ask questions, and even maybe ban her from their territory.

That is my understanding, at least...

But maybe you have practical experiences to share to help me deal with this reality that we're facing.
Maybe one of you was in that situation and could share what they did... ?

I would be grateful...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read me 🙂
-@babayaga

After a border run you can extend the stay at the local immigration office. It works for Russians,too. How do you think Russians in Thailand at the moment extends their stays? So,it means 2 border runs + 2 extensions at the local immigration office. Even if there are no fines for young kids, immigration won't accept overstay,even for kids. Why didn't she apply for dependent visas for her kids when she got her student visa?

Guest8552

You need to go and see a local 'Visa Agent' - there are many complications involved in this situation and IMO this is best asked of the 'real' experts.  Maybe try contacting your/her Embassy and ask if they will recommend any local Agents - some Embassies keep a list of 'approved' Agents and/or Lawyers.  I would definitely seek out a local Agent/Lawyer - each Immigration Office/Province does things 'their own way'.  A lawyer/agent in Bangkok is not necessarily the best option for someone staying in Yasothon or Udon Thani etc etc.

babayaga

@Leeds forever! I've had many conflictual informations about Russian visa extension. On Internet, in Immigration, now in a law office. No extension for Russians, only 7 days, 30 days...

Have you had direct experiences? And also, do you believe that the 30 days extension applies in that case?

As for the dependent visa, I'll meet someone else tomorrow to study the question. But from what I understand, there should be a document attesting they're in a Thai school to get that sort of visa. Which they are not.

Thanks 🙏

babayaga

@AussieBob99 Thanks for the advice 🙏 I have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow.

babayaga

By the way, can you confirm that information... ?

Maximum border runs by land: 2

Maximum border runs by plane: 6

Thanks again for your time 1f600.svg

Leeds forever!
@Leeds forever! I've had many conflictual informations about Russian visa extension. On Internet, in Immigration, now in a law office. No extension for Russians, only 7 days, 30 days...
Have you had direct experiences? And also, do you believe that the 30 days extension applies in that case?

As for the dependent visa, I'll meet someone else tomorrow to study the question. But from what I understand, there should be a document attesting they're in a Thai school to get that sort of visa. Which they are not.

Thanks 🙏
-@babayaga

The dependent visa has nothing to do with attending a school. Being dependent means you're piggy backing on a parents permission of stay.

Why do you listen to people at so called "law offices" when you can ask at the local immigration office? Why would I have "any direct experience" to know about immigration issues for Russians? Russians are allowed to enter on a visa exempt (not a visa), and are of course allowed to extend the stay (still not a visa) at the local immigration office. In this case these kids should be able to extend their stay once,but also be able to apply for an extension based on being dependent (on their mother).

Leeds forever!
By the way, can you confirm that information... ?
Maximum border runs by land: 2
Maximum border runs by plane: 6

Thanks again for your time 1f600.svg
-@babayaga

Two border runs per calendar year.

There's no official law saying six visa exempts per year when arriving by air is the maximum amount. Immigration simply wants you to arrive on a tourist visa instead of endless visa exempts.

babayaga

@Leeds forever! I went to immigration. The answer was vague and fast. No extensions allowed. Or a misunderstanding.

As for direct experiences. Because I've learned living in Thailand now that most of the information on Internet cannot be trusted. And also that the laws change all of the time.

Also, if you think of extension for Russians, do you think it 30 days?

Leeds forever!
@Leeds forever! I went to immigration. The answer was vague and fast. No extensions allowed. Or a misunderstanding.
As for direct experiences. Because I've learned living in Thailand now that most of the information on Internet cannot be trusted. And also that the laws change all of the time.

Also, if you think of extension for Russians, do you think it 30 days?
-@babayaga

Immigration officers speaks normally very little English and you can't speak Thai. I've been living in Thailand many years and I know how it works and information online works fine as long as you find correct websites. Immigration laws haven't had any major changes in years, especially not when it comes to visas (including dependant visas) and extensions. The change from 30 days to 45 days visa exempt is a move from the government and tourist authorities to make money on tourists after the pandemic. Immigration didn't take that decision. Russia has a bilateral agreement with Thailand and Russians (together with people from many other countries) can from October 1 2022 arrive on a 45 days visa exempt. It means they can extend the stay another 30 days at the local immigration office.

babayaga

@Leeds forever! Thanks for this information.

babayaga

@Leeds forever! I was nonetheless recontacted by the Law Office that's been contacting the Immigration Office.

According to them, there's an unlimited amount of border runs allowed by land. And that for all nationalities and all ages.

Of course, I'm just conveying the information I got.

Source: Phuket Visa Law Office in Chalong.

Leeds forever!
@Leeds forever! I was nonetheless recontacted by the Law Office that's been contacting the Immigration Office.
According to them, there's an unlimited amount of border runs allowed by land. And that for all nationalities and all ages.

Of course, I'm just conveying the information I got.

Source: Phuket Visa Law Office in Chalong.
-@babayaga

Not entirely correct. Read this,an update from last week, March 7:

"Update 7th March 2023@04:15am:

In 2023 you're allowed 2 visa exempt entry via land border, BUT, Russian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Laotian, Vietnamese and Singaporean can do this kind of OUT/IN unlimited times.

The reason for letting Russians do this is because of the Russia-Ukraine war.

So,it does help your Russian gf. But,it will cost to do this every 45 days. A dependent visa/extension is still the best choice.

babayaga

@Leeds forever! I was nonetheless recontacted by the Law Office that's been contacting the Immigration Office.According to them, there's an unlimited amount of border runs allowed by land. And that for all nationalities and all ages.Of course, I'm just conveying the information I got.Source: Phuket Visa Law Office in Chalong. -@babayagaNot entirely correct. Read this,an update from last week, March 7:"Update 7th March 2023@04:15am: In 2023 you're allowed 2 visa exempt entry via land border, BUT, Russian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Laotian, Vietnamese and Singaporean can do this kind of OUT/IN unlimited times.The reason for letting Russians do this is because of the Russia-Ukraine war.So,it does help your Russian gf. But,it will cost to do this every 45 days. A dependent visa/extension is still the best choice. -@Leeds forever!Information that you got on thaivisaservice.comWhich is not an official source of information.

babayaga
Information that you got on "Thai Visa Service".
Which is not an official source of information.

But rather a border run agency.

Leeds forever!
@Leeds forever! I was nonetheless recontacted by the Law Office that's been contacting the Immigration Office.According to them, there's an unlimited amount of border runs allowed by land. And that for all nationalities and all ages.Of course, I'm just conveying the information I got.Source: Phuket Visa Law Office in Chalong. -@babayagaNot entirely correct. Read this,an update from last week, March 7:"Update 7th March 2023@04:15am: In 2023 you're allowed 2 visa exempt entry via land border, BUT, Russian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Laotian, Vietnamese and Singaporean can do this kind of OUT/IN unlimited times.The reason for letting Russians do this is because of the Russia-Ukraine war.So,it does help your Russian gf. But,it will cost to do this every 45 days. A dependent visa/extension is still the best choice. -@Leeds forever!Information that you got on thaivisaservice.comWhich is not an official source of information.
-@babayaga

The info you got is not an official source of information either.

babayaga

@Leeds forever! I got it from the the Immigration Office. Although through a third-party indeed.

Let's now stop this unproductive conversation.

I'll come back as soon as I get closer to the facts.

Leeds forever!
@Leeds forever! I got it from the the Immigration Office. Although through a third-party indeed.
Let's now stop this unproductive conversation.

I'll come back as soon as I get closer to the facts.
-@babayaga

You got it from a clueless law office. 

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

• Work visa in Thailand
    Work visa in Thailand

To be able to work in Thailand and stay in the country without needing to apply for visa extensions regularly, you ...

• Retiring in Thailand
    Retiring in Thailand

I have lived in Thailand for over a year now, on a variety of visas. This week I applied for and received a ...

• Work Permit Renewal
    Work Permit Renewal

Work Permit renewal must be done prior to the expiration date of the permit term. You could locate this date from ...

• Connecting to the Internet in Thailand
    Connecting to the Internet in Thailand

Having reliable internet is a priority for many foreigners living in Thailand — not just for work reasons if ...

• Getting a landline or mobile phone in Thailand
    Getting a landline or mobile phone in Thailand

Once you touch down in Thailand, you will probably want to get a mobile phone with a local Thai SIM so that you ...

• Dating in Thailand
    Dating in Thailand

Thailand is one of the top destinations in the world when it comes to travel, but not only that. In recent years, ...

• Healthcare for the elderly in Thailand
    Healthcare for the elderly in Thailand

Thailand is one of the world's most popular retirement destinations. There are a number of reasons for that, ...

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

All of Thailand's guide articles