Are expats/retirees happy in Belize?

Married American man (mid 60s) and Colombian woman (mid 50s) live near Washington, DC. Plan on retiring/selling home/relocating in 2024. Both love beaches, cultural diversity, friendly people, open air bars/restaurants, laid back Caribbean vibe.  I love to fish; my wife loves to eat whatever I catch.

This is my first post and I'd very much appreciate hearing any words of wisdom that expats/retirees are willing to share. All my best. dsparks

Married American man (mid 60s) and Colombian woman (mid 50s) live near Washington, DC. Plan on retiring/selling home/relocating in 2024. Both love beaches, cultural diversity, friendly people, open air bars/restaurants, laid back Caribbean vibe. I love to fish; my wife loves to eat whatever I catch.
This is my first post and I'd very much appreciate hearing any words of wisdom that expats/retirees are willing to share. All my best. dsparks
-@dsparks

DC? ... Are you ready to sloooooooooooooow down? Belize operates on its own unit of time for everything except taxi cabs. If you can tolerate that, it offers all on your list and then some. We've only been here a year, others could offer more based on their experiences, but we are quite happy being here. I'd investigate BTB's (Belize Tourisim Board) QRP program. If you're not a dog owner, become one, large breed preferred, for security. Belizeans are severely economically disadvantaged, with little government support, so people are going to do what they need to do to put food on the table or support their habits. Being American makes you a target. That being said the Belizean people are what sold us on living here, they are precious.  There are various Expat enclaves throughout the country, with your love of beaches, and your interested in living on the mainland, look to the north or far south of the country. Unless you're prepared to make a sizable investment avoid Placencia seemingly the area with major focus right now. If you consider inland, the western / southern portion of the country is "mountainous", think Shenandoah, and is the agricultural centers of the country. With your love of fishing avoid the Belize/Macal river, you'll be disappointed as recent hydro electric projects, severe overfishing, and agriculture run off is killing the river. I live on it in Cayo (the "a" in Belize is an "i") and while it is incredibly beautiful, fishing, a love of mine, hasn't been what I perceived what it should be. Consider the Sibun, still a native river and I've heard great fishing reports (well as much as fisherman can be trusted).  The Belize river also floods during the rainy season (one of two seasons here) typically 40' change in our area. There are the cayes, but for ourselves, we did wish to live in a tourist area. As to real estate, trust no one, engage a lawyer and even then be absolute on the status of title before investing. We are aware of numerous situations where land has been purchased with an apparent clear title, only to have some previous owners distant family member showing up and laying claim or unscrupulous government officials changing ownership with a stroke of a pen. Also do not believe values you see on the internet. The market is being driven by American realtors and corp investors and is quickly rising.

Prepare to be bit by bugs. There are a thousand species of ant in Belize and it seems they all bite, mosquitos, ticks, chiggers, no seeims, beetles I have yet to identify all like "fresh meat" as the natives call us in this regard, and they are not as impacted it seems, so there's truth to it. I've yet to find a bug deterrent fully effective. with no cold season die off, insects are the dominant fauna here.

There are no Walmarts, large chain stores, Burger Kings and the like. More locale groceries than you can count, well stocked, and pricing generally much lower than you're accustomed, unless you have to have that American branded product where you'll pay a premium.  Prepare to learn Spanish, a large percentage of product (labeling) comes from Latin countries, also the demography is shifting. Native language is english, but Spanish and creole is seemingly more comfortable to those in our area.

There are 4 what you would call highways here. All the rest of the country are well worn gravel roads at best, mud pits at its worst. A good 4 wheel drive vehicle, though not absolutely necessary, would be advised if you wish to enjoy the incredible beauty of nature here.

Well, I've rambled enough. As I said, we've been here only a year and absolutely love it. I'd welcome folks with a longer term expound of correct me where I may have misstated or failed to present a relevant point. Be happy to discuss specific questions.

I'd recommend coming down and spending an uncommitted two/three weeks, just to explore

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. Re fishing, I enjoy saltwater surf casting, especially in areas where I can drive my SUV (loaded with fishing gear) on the beach. I'd happily fish in freshwater rivers, but just haven't done it much. Btw, we'll definitely spend at least 3/4 weeks exploring Belize, hopefully this year.

Question: Does this forum have any protocols/guidelines regarding users exchanging personal email addresses or cell numbers? I'm certain I'll have many specific questions as we explore/decide where we're going to relocate.

@dsparks Not a moderator, but direct messaging is likely best.

Don't mean to disappoint. Beach frontage is premium property, often private. I've yet to discover a drive on beach, but I've yet to explore the entirety of the coast. Also the Belize coast is reef bound, coastal waters are clear, relatively shallow. I've seen plenty of small fish taken off piers, here again resort/private, you'll likely need to come down and make a friend with a boat to fully appreciate the salt water fishery here Which is incredible I understand, but then again ... it's fishing.

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the Off-topic. YES the forum has a code of conduct. Contact details should not be posted on the open forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system as we are an open/public forum - it means that bots, scammers, spammers, google etc has access to your contact details if posted on the forum.

The Forum Guidelines are pinned at the very top of the forum so as members get to see those before posting on the forum :

BELIZE FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

For further questions, you may reach the team through the contact us form : https://www.expat.com/en/contact.html

All the best

Bhavna

Most expats in Belize are very heavy drinkers

@Steve Soma Not when they first get here.... 1f600.svg