Menu
Expat.com

Are expats happy in Belize?

Last activity 18 August 2023 by ClarkForestryLLC

dsparks

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Yesterday, I posted the following under the "new members" category:

"Married American man (mid 60s) and Colombian woman (mid 50s) live near Washington, DC. Plan on retiring/selling home/relocating in 2024. Both love beaches, cultural diversity, friendly people, open air bars/restaurants, laid back Caribbean vibe. I love to fish; my wife loves to eat whatever I catch. This is my first post and I'd very much appreciate hearing any words of wisdom that expats/retirees are willing to share. All my best. dsparks"

I'm reposting my inquiry today under the "everyday life category" in the hope that more folks will see and respond to it. Thanks for reading. dsparks

DnBR

Welcome to you both. It seems like your likes and Belize match up pretty well! I'm guessing you'll be choosing to locate on a Caye or the coast. Have you selected where?

dsparks

From everything I've read/researched, I think we'd be happiest around Placencia. I'm hoping to hear from expats/retirees living there (or elsewhere) as to such things as where (generally) they live, how long they've been in Belize, and whether they're happy there.

marthaodom

We just moved to Placencia yesterday!  If you like partying and activity, choose the village which is on the southernmost point of the peninsula!  We are about midway up in the Maya Beach-Plantation area!  We can decide whether to have a quiet evening on the deck or a lively evening out with friends!  I am absolutely enthralled and in love with this place!  Everything that you described is here!  All the boxes are checked!  Come on!  Just pull the trigger and do it! 

dsparks

Thanks. Did you buy or are you renting? House, condo, private community? I've heard that housing on the peninsula has become expensive, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about that. We are also thinking about somewhere midway up the peninsula. Love your enthusiasm and upbeat vibe!

marthaodom

@dsparks We are renting a house from Flowers Properties!  There are many options as far as housing—apartments, condos, cabanas!  We like the privacy of a free-standing, single-unit home!  Prices vary according to amenities!  Beach, pool, washer-dryer can run $2500+/mo.  Sometimes includes utilities! 

Steve Soma

I don’t think you will get a honest answer to this question from most expats. And this is the reason. Most expats are trying to sell you some thing, a lot next to there’s, a home they are trying to get out of, a business they have, or just a dream they don’t believe in any more. It’s like the person that went on a vacation and didn’t like it.

Aerodex

@Steve Soma That is some of it.

It is not uncommon for folks to not actually do their due diligent' before make the big move here.

I have long recommended spending a month or two in several different areas, over different seasons before Selling everything at home and moving down. It takes a special kind of person to adapt to living in the real Belize. You can watch all the videos and stay a couple of weeks at a resort, and fall in love with that experience. But its NOT the same as living here. I love the people and the country, but Belize it not a full time place for most folks used to North America.

ClarkForestryLLC

@dsparks Late response.  Haven't been on this site in a while.  Price and expense to live is relative.  Depending where in DC you lived, Placencia is super cheap or kinda of expensive.  Recommend you get with two different Realtors.  Tell them what you're looking for and visit 3 houses each to get a feel for what you can get for the price.  During Covid about 1/2 of all the houses were for sale.  Recommend you do an AirBNB in the type of house you might like, to get a feel.  We are not beach type people, but built a place in Cayo district and travel to Belize about 1 week per month.  So don't live there fulltime.  Have a caretaker and his wife.  Placencia is great, slower than San Pedro, but quite livable.  Can be humid.  Plenty of fish boats to go fishing on.  Ask a captain to  go fishing with them and give them the catch.  Or go down to the end around 3 pm and buy fish as they come in.  Or go to the Fishermans coop at the end of the road near the airport and buy fish.  All water is run on "Queens" rules, 60 feet you can walk on and swim.  Just went to Lobsterfest about a month ago.  Was a lot of fun.  Best Italian Gelato outside of Italy.  Rentals are a little different down there, you can be kicked out anytime, even on a long-term rental.    If you want a more lively spot move to San Pedro.  Less lively and less expensive move to Hopkins/Dangriga/Corozal.  If it was me with a Boat, I would live off a river near Hopkins or Dangriga and go out into the ocean.  Or check dock slip costs on the West side of Placencia.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles