Best way to proceed (retire/nomad/business...)

Hi,

My name's John (based in Ireland). I'm looking to move to Mauritius and will probably head over in the next few months to get things rolling. I do, however, have a bit of a conundrum: I'm 58 (so I believe I can retire; seems bizarre as I feel like a 20yr-old) but I also run an online service-based business (small but global) and I'm not sure which way to proceed (retire/nomad/business. etc). Once I work out the best option, I'll head over for 3 months (probably in June) or permanently if I can get everything organised. I'll be looking for accommodation in the Grand Baie/Perebere area. I'll be looking for a 3-bedroom house with a pool (I'm moving by myself but my daughters will visit, etc). I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance...

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Title edited for a better fit
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Tiddles hello sir

Reason : Accommodation offer/ad + contact details

Unsafe to post contact details here on the open forum.

Please use the message system to exchange.

@Tiddles

Hi John, I am planning to move to Mauritius too later this year.  I currently live in Cape Coral Florida and Washington, D.C.  Want to talk?  Kemi

Hi Kemi,

Definitely. Drop me a message.

Hello everyone,

@ Tiddles, welcome on board !

Please create an advert in the Housing in Mauritius section of the website so that members can reach out and make offers (agents and individuals)

In regards to your online business, are you expecting to get clients from Mauritius ?

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna, thanks very much.

I'll do the advert.

I'm a running coach. I won't be taking on clients from Mauritius.

Cheers

John

Hello John,

Thank you for your prompt response. In that case, a retirement visa is a good option it states that :

The holder of a residence permit as a retired non-citizen may invest in any business, provided that – (a) he is not employed in the business; and (b) he does not derive any salary or employment benefits from the business.

N.B business and salary locally.

More info : https://residency.mu/retire/retired-non … -50-years/

The premium visa is also very popular among expats who do not wish to work locally but would like to get a feel of what it could be living in Mauritius long term before making a decision. The advantage of this visa is that you can come as a tourist and apply for the premium visa here itself without leaving the island. This visa is meant for people wanting to stay for more than 180 days - a year.

More info : https://residency.mu/live/mauritius-premium-visa/

I hope members will soon share their experience with you.

For property, here are 2 other websites that could be useful : lexpressproperty.mu and weshare.mu

All the best

Bhavna

Thanks very much, Bhavna. That's excellent. The bit I wasn't sure about concerned retiring but still working. I think I've got it sussed now. I'll have a look at the premium visa too.

I stumbled upon lexpressproperty.mu and I've made some enquiries; I'll have a gander at the other one you mentioned.

Again, thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Cheers

Alizee

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Self promotion

Thanks Alizee - that's very kind of you.

For now, I'm just looking to rent and sort out either a retired non-citizen or the premium visa.

Cheers

John

@Bhavna now I am a little bit confused. I am thinking of relocating too and always was thinking on a retirement visa that that choice would be the best. I will be 67 years and no intention to work on the island. But from your message I get the impression that a premium visa is better??? Thank you for your help and explanation. I am so excited and a bit nervous to come and visit in 3 weeks time 1f60a.svg

@oshudofsky I think that if you plan to work on premium visa, you need to be paid a salary from abroad.

@oshudofsky hello, the premium visa is for those who work for a company abroad and can work online from mauritius. For you, its better a retirement visa.

Hello everyone,

@Oshudofsky, when I called the EDB to enquire about the Premium Visa for one of my acquaintances, they said that the premium visa is indeed ideal for retirees who want to have a feel of what living in Mauritius is before they make a long term decision.

***** Premium Travel Visa to any non-citizen who intends to stay in Mauritius for a maximum period of one year as a tourist, retiree or a professional

Source : https://residency.mu/live/mauritius-premium-visa/ *****

The visa is meant for people who want to stay more than 180 days - 1 year. If you come on a tourist visa, you can apply for the premium visa without exiting the island.

Your source of income should come from outside Mauritius and you need to have/show sufficient funds.

More info here : https://residency.mu/live/mauritius-premium-visa/

Feel free to give them a call for official info.

All the best

Bhavna

@Tiddles

Hi John,

My name is Clifford and I am glad to hear of your intention and I am traveling to UK this week. Maybe we could chat then and I can give you an update

My email is *** and may be we could exchange numbers.

Regards

Clifford

Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you

Hello everyone and welcome Clifford,

please note that you can share your contact details in private by clicking on a member's username > send a message

All the best

Bhavna