Menu
Expat.com

Your first days in your home in Belize

Last activity 18 May 2023 by sherriparkwaiting

Cheryl

Hello everyone,

Do you remember the first time you set foot in Belize? One of your main concerns must have been the settling down process in your new home.

Share your experience and tell us what it was like to find your new home in Belize and how the moving-in process worked for you.

How did you find it (with an estate agency, your company, social networks, friends) and how long did it take?

At that time, what were the most common housing options available in your area ? How did you narrow down your search?

Did you opt for a temporary housing solution during your first days in Belize?

What are the main differences you noticed with your home country when it comes to the type of housing and formalities to settle in, etc.?

What struck you the most when you first moved in? Were there any challenges that you faced? If yes, how did you overcome them?

Is there any piece of advice that you would like to give to future expatriates to make their new place feel like home?

Thank you for your input.

Cheryl
Expat.com team

sherriparkwaiting

@Cheryl spent lots of time in all parts of Belize, chose our spot, hired a Belizian builder whose work we saw in other homes, and we have been happy for over 10 years in our location.  People are wonderful, food plentiful and varied, good doctor and dentist, hospital and airport in town, every service we want or need, have never had to use Amazon or other online, restaurants are great, my husband plays darts, there is bingo, beach activities, wonderful friends for golf, travel and other activities.  I cannot understand people complaining about anything.  You get as good as you give.   All happy days.  just be you.  We met people from the get go.  Some, not just the locals, are scammers and safety is a concern anywhere in the world.  Learn what you need to do to be safe, and take care!

sandrajewellbelize1945

@sherriparkwaiting

Excellent writer up. Thank you.

I am moving to Corozal in August.

Blessings

homesickgypsy

@sherriparkwaiting what part of the country may I ask? I'm still looking at various options.

gthompson206

I’ve looked around Belize but haven’t been south to the Placencia or Punta Gorda areas. Am looking for existing apartment/home/condo but also wondering how folks feel about accessibility? The writer, @sherriparkwaiting spoke about the ease of getting what they need for day to day living. My needs are basic. Look forward to comments regarding life in southern Belize.

sherriparkwaiting

I can have everything I can get in the 1.35 million city in which I live, and except for the same price for imports, Corozal gives me fruits and vegetables at nickels on the dollar.  The social life is good, crime is very low and everyone is friendly.  If I want to bring sand into the house, I will go to San Pedro.  Everything is more expensive there but it is just a boat ride away.  I bought in 2010 after being in San Pedro since 2006.  A car rental is great here if I want to travel the rest of the country.  I have had no need for a car, and the mall near me has imports from all over the world.  I could not be happier.  The airport here is excellent, medical and dental excellent.  If you want lots of bars, go elsewhere. There is even a train from Chethumal to Cancun.  The buses are good.  I guess you would have to tell me what you require.  I am retired, but I was a realtor for 40 years, so I chose Corozal for all its amenities to suit me.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles