Sell US-plated car in Paraguay

Hello community,

This question has been asked a few times in the past but I am looking for more recent contacts and info. One year ago I purchased a Nissan Armada 2017 (American version of the Patrol, great vehicle on and off-road) in the US and drove it down all the way with my family. We are currently in Argentina and will end the trip in Paraguay end July / beg August. The car has Montana plates and the title is in my name.

I have the possibility to sell it to a foreigner and keep it under US plates (the transfer of legal ownership can be done at a distance) but as a back-up plan I understand that it should be possible to import it into Paraguay. I am of course aware of the requirements to pay VAT, import duties, etc. Would you have contacts of reliable customs agents, escribanias and/or car dealers who could help me with the process (preferably in Ciudad del Este but Asuncion or other cities would be fine as well)? I can get around in Spanish.

Thanks a million !

Guillaume

PS: If a member of the community is interested in the car, obviously do not hesitate to reach out directly and I can send more info.

you can use the classified section to post an add

@refugiadoportuga Thanks, I'll do that too. I need to take a few pics first.

The problem in Paraguay with good and expensive cars is customs. Customs can charge a completely unreasonable tax. And whoever tells you it can be circumvented, it's not true. I know a few customs brokers, but no one can really make any guarantees. The car tax can be good or bad. It depends on the customs.

Thanks Helena. Not holding my breath but is there a way to ask customs beforehand, or at least get an educated guess through an experienced agent? Happy to talk to a couple of them directly if you have contacts.

@Guire

Do you have an update? We too are wanting to import to Paraguay!

Thanks!

@Monica Mendoza I managed to sell my car in the end. The process went more or less as follows:

Step 1: If you're not a resident in Paraguay, go with your passport and entry stamp to some ministry (sorry, I don't remember which one it was) to get a certificate of non-residence (comprobante de no ser residente). You get it on the spot and it is free.

Step 2: Go with your passport, the certificate of non-residence and the temporary import permit of the vehicle (blue paper you received for the car when you entered the country) to a notary public (escribania), together with a customs forwarding agent (despachante), and ask for a general power of attorney (poder general). This authorises the forwarding agent to drive, sell and import the car on your behalf and costs about 50 dollars.

Step 3: Wait for 8 weeks for the power of attorney to be stamped at some ministry in Asunción whereas you were told it would only take a couple of working days.

Step 4: Once you have the power of attorney, send the forwarding agent, equipped with the power of attorney and the temporary import permit, to customs (aduanas) to get an authorisation to import.

Step 5: Bring the car to customs for inspection. Customs will come up with a value for the calculation of import duties (around 30% of the car's value).

Step 6: Pay the import duties to customs (this can be done by your buyer, depending on the deal you have made with them).

Step 7: Receive Paraguayan documents for your car. Your buyer can now register the car in their name and get a Paraguayan number plate.

I left the country right after step 2, all other steps can be done by the forwarding agent in your name. My buyer was in import-export himself so he was quite comfortable with the process; he paid me after step 4 and took care of the other steps himself together with the forwarding agent.

Hope this helps, good luck with your sale !

@GuestPoster27120 Could you please share the info the fright forwarder you used? Thank you.