Digital Nomad Visa Renewal

@rocade Thank you! I also have a doubt about the necessity of "apostilamento" for non-public documents like the job contract or the receipt/extract of the minimal bank funds required. I guess they don't need "apostilamento", only the translation, but I would like to confirm it

09/02/24    @rocade Thank you! I also have a doubt about the necessity of "apostilamento" for non-public documents like the job contract or the receipt/extract of the minimal bank funds required. I guess they don't need "apostilamento", only the translation, but I would like to confirm it

-@bennyllero

To be accepted, all translations must be prepared by a Sworn Translator ("Tradutor Juramentado")  duly appointed by the Junta Comercial of a Brazilian state, so Sworn Translations never require apostilles, first because they're Brazilian documents, and second because the Sworn Translator's official identification appears on the Sworn Translation itself.

09/02/24    @rocade Thank you! I also have a doubt about the necessity of "apostilamento" for non-public documents like the job contract or the receipt/extract of the minimal bank funds required. I guess they don't need "apostilamento", only the translation, but I would like to confirm it        -@bennyllero

To be accepted, all translations must be prepared by a Sworn Translator ("Tradutor Juramentado")  duly appointed by the Junta Comercial of a Brazilian state, so Sworn Translations never require apostilles, first because they're Brazilian documents, and second because the Sworn Translator's official identification appears on the Sworn Translation itself.

-@abthree

Thank you, but my concern is not about the translated document needs Apostille, but the original document does. My guess is that the Apostille is only needed for public/governmental documents (birth certificate, criminal record in my country...etc), not for private documents like bank extracts or contracts. But I would like to confirm it from your experience, since I sent some documents to a translation company to get a budget and they answered the following:

Aproveitamos para informar que documentos para uso consular, acadêmico, jurídico ou governamental devem portar a obrigatória Apostila de Haia, exigida por todos os países signatários da Convenção de Haia. Ela só pode ser obtida no país de origem de emissão do documento. Seus 2 documentos (Extrato Bancário e Contrato ) não portam Apostilas de Haia, que devem ser apostas nos originais antes das traduções e, igualmente, nas traduções se os documentos forem para uso em qualquer dos países signatários da Convenção de Haia. Há casos em que o apostilamento é dispensado, tanto no original quanto na tradução, como é o caso, por exemplo, de uso comercial. É recomendado que se verifique com quem irá receber os documentos se há exigência ou dispensa do apostilamento, antes de serem feitas as traduções.

We would like to inform you that documents for consular, academic, legal or governmental use must bear the mandatory Hague Apostille, required by all countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention. It can only be obtained in the country of origin of the document. Your two documents (Bank Statement and Contract) do not bear Hague Apostilles, which must be affixed to the originals before translations and, likewise, to the translations if the documents are to be used in any of the countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention. There are cases in which the apostille is waived, both on the original and on the translation, as is the case, for example, for commercial use. It is recommended that you check with the person who will receive the documents whether the apostille is required or waived, before translations are made.

-@bennyllero

I don't have a personal experience with this - I submitted unapostilled documents without problems. But always included a backup with an apostille - like, it was not exactly the document needed, but a relevant one that could be apostilled so I attached it.

I definitely remember reading in one of these threads mentioning this subject. I wish it was easier to search so I could find more. This page has some posts about this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 16&p=4

I think the question would be: Does your country have a simple/online apostille process for those private documents? Would it even be possible to obtain it? If not, I would just continue with the translations.

09/02/24  Thank you, but my concern is not about the translated document needs Apostille, but the original document does. My guess is that the Apostille is only needed for public/governmental documents (birth certificate, criminal record in my country...etc), not for private documents like bank extracts or contracts.         -@bennyllero

I'd go with @rocade's advice on this, and try to submit your documents with Sworn Translations, but without apostilles.  I don't know what Spain's practice is, but in the United States, the federal government and the states will not apostille a private document, and I would guess that Spain is the same.  Individual states will apostille a notarized document, but the apostille in this case only applies to the notary's seal, not to the document itself. 

The translation company is certainly incorrect in saying that the Sworn Translation requires an apostille; the apostille on the original document (if there is one) requires a Sworn Translation, and that may be what they are trying to say.

@rocade @abthree I will go by that path, it's what seems more sensible for such documents. Thank you both for your insights!

09/03/24    @rocade @abthree I will go by that path, it's what seems more sensible for such documents. Thank you both for your insights!   

-@bennyllero

Best of luck.  Please let us know how it goes.