Planning to move Papua New Guinea with family

Hi Folks,

Please help me out to understand the living lifestyle and precautionary measures while moving to Papua New Guinea country.

Please advise me the safest location where mostly Indians live to spend a peaceful life. I know there must be some challenges of crime, natural calamities. Also, need to know the schooling of kids and education standard and good schools for kids from 4 years to 10 years.

Please do revert with your responses.

Thanks

@anandsooraj Hi Anand, I am from Pakistan and I spend my 14 years in PNG. From my own experience i would like to advise you don't ever take your family to PNG. Expatriate life in PNG is just you leaving in jail. The local people's have no respect for foreigners who living in PNG. There is lot's of Indians working and doing business. Some living with the families as well. But they can't move freely. In Capital city, Highlander Village where the mostly Indian community live. For any information feel free to contact me.

Anand

I recently moved to PNG with family. As mentioned above it is kind of living in the jail (because of security). I have been told by office security not to venture out alone on foot(especially after dark) , and by office drivers, hotel security, drivers etc. That means we are kind of confined to hotel or house. i do venture but in day time, or if i have to go to mall i take hotel shuttle.

Schooling, the most famous ones are TEMIS(ela murray school) which has IB curriculum and POMIS, Koroboro International school, St Josephs international school. They have australian curriculum. Cant say about others, but these have hefty fees.

The biggest expense is accommodation so some foreigners have sent their family and are living in sharing. if your accommodation expense is covered then you might be able to make saving else it will be tough call.

Another area is medical care. Quite a few of the medicines are not available or are very expensive and the facilities are functional but for complex issues people go to Australia or other nearing countries

@smalam64 Thanks for your response. Much appreciated your quick answer.  I will be going to work in PNG with family where company offered me an accommodation, medical insurance, children education, vehicle arrangement on top of my salary.

Please let me know if anything else I can ask my employer to provide. Need to know the safe location to live to safeguard me and my family from crimes. I know there are criminal activities that taking a toll on common people like us.

Thanks.

@expo2021ae Thanks for your response. Much appreciated your quick answer.  I will be going to work in PNG with family where company offered me an accommodation, medical insurance, children education, vehicle arrangement on top of my salary.

Please let me know if anything else I can ask my employer to provide. Need to know the safe location to live to safeguard me and my family from crimes. I know there are criminal activities that taking a toll on common people like us.

Thanks.

@anandsooraj

Sorry for late reply. If they are providing you accommodation then u may not be in a position to select. The safest areas are where westerners live as they are expensive and manned by security. Where Indians live may not be that safe. However if your company is providing family accommodation (anything from $4000 to $6500 ), schooling (between $13000 to $16000), and medical, then that is 75% of expenses of others who have to pay from their pockets. Such a company has to be a multinational with handsome package and for sure they will have accommodation at best location. Only thing you can ask for is transport, maybe multiple exit/reentry visa, family ticket for vacation. Since they are providing accommodation ask them which complex it is, i may be able to give an opinion then

Hello!

As mentioned above, Please help me out to understand the living lifestyle and precautionary measures while moving to Papua New Guinea country.

@anandsooraj, how has been your experience? Our profile seems to be similar to yours. I really do hope you find this msg and respond to the same.

Have been offered a job in png at a senior management role in a MNC. They have not disclosed the offer, asking me to give my expectations. I have around 14 years of experience in shipping sector. Please advise.