Registering a UK car in the name of a company in bg

Hi all,

I bought a house near Haskovo post Brexit so had to set up a company. I am currently doing 90 day max visits with no plan to move permanently but have a UK registered car here that has an MOT on until Oct.

I plan to try and register it in the company name before then and leave it in BG. Does anyone have any recent experience of this please? I have read another similar message recently but it was unclear if this was for an individual and of this makes a difference.

I'd appreciate any recommendations and/or English speaking Bulgarian ls in my region who would potentially help too.

Many thanks

Sandra

@SandraW Hi Sandra it was me put up a post, make sure you have a European Certificate of Conformity for your car, you can get them free generally from your particular manufacturer in the UK.

Technotest in Bulgaria are now refusing to certify UK RHD cars if you dont have a certificate.

Thanks very much I'll get on to that now!

@grahamstark1

Quick question - where did you get your customs declaration form from please?

I went to an agent, there will always be one close to your regional customs office, who handled my EORI number and filling out the forms for me.

It was all straightforward and

easy, the painful part was paying for the import.

Was yours being registered as your personal car or for a company? How much was import duty and what value was your car? Thanks 👍

Originally i wanted to do it personally, but i couldn't do that without a 5yr residency, I had to do the D Visa route and 1yr residencies so now doing it the company route.

Import duty is 10% and VAT was 20% so i paid around 1600 leva in total on my 2008 Renault Trafic.

@grahamstark1

I wondered how they valued second hand cars - do you know? Mine is a 2010 Nissan xtrail so maybe around a similar amount??

Thanks

They based mine on roughly a bit below the figure shown on the receipt I provided for buying the van a year previously.

You will need to provide some form of a bill of sale both for customs and the KAT when you take your car to be registered.

When you go to the KAT you will also need a KAT registered fire extinguisher, Bulgarian third party insurance, EcoTax certificate, Certificate of Conformity, V5, Company Documents or Residency Card (5 years) and LHD lights fitted ( some KAT have been known to accept beam deflectors)

When you go to the KAT there will be a fixers office where you can pay a few leva and they will check all your documents and arrange your ecotax etc, then take you through the whole system.

I am still waiting for my Certificate of Conformity to arrive in the UK, then be couriered to me before I am hopefully successful in registering my vehicle. This is the hidden rule and hurdle that since we left EU has become an issue, that UK registered cars must have an EU certificate of conformity.

Jeez it's a heavy duty day sorting that lot out 🤣

I need to find an agent in Haskovo - any suggestions on where to look online so I know who I'm going to? I'm only going to be there for a few days and hoped to get the car registered then as it's the last time I'll be in BG before the MOT expires here in England. The EU cert of conformity has apparently gone to Nissan head office for printing then will be sent to me - again, hope this will be before I leave!!

Yep, Bulgaria never known for their brevity of paperwork or underuse of official stamps !

Hi Sandra, was wondering how you got on?

KAT Sofia would not accept my certificate of conformity that Renault issued, so had to pay 540 leva to get a technical test done then another 100 leva to get an exemption certificate issued by the  Transport Ministry in Sofia. The Bulgarian company Technotest will point blank refuse to test RHD vehicles but Dekra (German) will.

Graham

@grahamstark1

Always something, eh. :-)

@grahamstark1

Hi Graham, I'm interested in this thread because I have a RHD 2007 Berlingo van. Originally UK registered, but now French registered. When I came to France, I'd already got my CoC in the UK and apart from the hoops I had to jump through to get through the Controle Technique (French MOT), I had no problems. I didn't have to pay import duty because I brought it as part of my possessions, for a relocation and even though it's a classed as a commercial vehicle, they don't charge import duty on car derived vans. I'm not sure if moving from France, will prove to be any easier than from the UK, but if you know of anything, I'd be grateful for a heads up. 🙂

@grumpyoldbird

As it's already EU-registered, I'd guess it will be much easier than a UK (non-EU) vehicle.

@gwynj

Hope so. Sounds like a nightmare.

@grumpyoldbird

As you're importing from France you should be ok, but if they say you need a Technotest then its a drag but I can point you in the right direction.

@grumpyoldbird

I very much doubt you will have to do anything other than to register to bg plates..  it must have been all done in France when it was registered there and both countries are EU so the fact it's rhd should not make a difference ..   but I am using logik  eek !