Can I book return ticket for over 30 days?

We stay for 6 months, I always have a return ticket in 6 months, but I have a history of arriving with my wife, a dual citizen, as Balikbayan,, never been questioned.  My friend who was denied boarding by PAL last November at JFK  thought he could get Balikbayan because he had previously entered with his wife, but she was waiting for him in Manila this time.  Told them his wife had their return tickets.  Had to reschedule and get a throw away 29 day ticket.,

A couple thoughts. My ticket last November was 1-way LAX-Cebu, also on EVA. They did ask me for onward ticket which I provided. A $75 throwaway ticket out of Cebu. They kinda looked at me about it, but I met the criteria so they couldn't say anything too much really. They did discuss it with a supervisor, but I had a confirmed ticket.

jcole4455 is married to a Filipina 40 years and has made the trip many times with only his "free 30 day visa". Quite possibly also using EVA each time to Cebu? They'll know that and know he's been on the "up and up" for a long time. Thus not questioning the "within 30 days" rule.

Folks should note. On the above picture from immigration it specifically states "must present return ticket dated within the period allowed for stay in PHL based on their visa classification". As such, if you get a visa while in your home country, like at Philippines Consulate in San Francisco or L.A., that visa will be for more than 30 days. As such, your return ticket can be outside that 30 day mark, but withing the term of the visa stamp.

We stay for 6 months, I always have a return ticket in 6 months, but I have a history of arriving with my wife, a dual citizen, as Balikbayan,, never been questioned. My friend who was denied boarding by PAL last November at JFK thought he could get Balikbayan because he had previously entered with his wife, but she was waiting for him in Manila this time. Told them his wife had their return tickets. Had to reschedule and get a throw away 29 day ticket.,
-@mugteck

PAL ,,,nuff said.

Thanks guys for the input, golly it seems we all have different stories.

Reading your link pnw it seems the 9a is good for 59 days but perhaps I misread.

As said I am only relating my recent return from Singapore (Feb 2023) where my throw away exit ticket was 65 days on with a different carrier, cleared and no questions asked.

Never upon arrival or renewing visa extensions have I been asked for an exit ticket and my last stay was 35 months and 16 or 17 renewals.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing as it works for me.

Cheers, Steve.

I have not booked a return ticket the last 3 times flying into Phillipines without issue... Before I would book a random flight through PayPal right before flying to manila, take a screen shot... them cancel it immediately.... they never looked more than the screen shot... worked every single time.

That's a return ticket Wellsfry, don't get caught.

Cheers, Steve.

@pnwcyclist

Thank you PNW for that update. It seems that only Philippine Airlines are enforcing the 30 day rule. Eva Air from Forum contributors experience and my airline Etihad who I have contacted in the last 2 weeks do not have this requirement.

It would be interesting to hear from the many 'Lurkers' on this site (that's IT anorak terminology for people who read comments but do not engage in the dialogue) who have flown with other airlines to the ones mentioned above as to that requirement.

So all of you 'Lurkers' Come out of hiding you are welcome to join in the conversation!

Lurkers or lurking with intent? (ready to pounce?)

Regardless there are those that give their 2 bobs worth and those that simply take it in, like reading a book, there are so many threads here with differing opinions and experiences that at times the mind boggles as to what is correct whether it be immi or warranties etc.

I do appreciate the input given and like all sift through and make my own choices.

The topic at hand is interesting and only seems to be an issue since Covid and reopening borders recently and now that PH have totally got rid of the current retinue, will revert back to previous times and not all this 30 day rubbish that I never suffered.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl I always extend... So is why it does not matter for me... I buy a ticket to return when my extension runs out, or when I need to go... It's not like I am trying to get away with anything....  cheers.

I found an email address for The Bureau of Immigration Main office in Manila so I have sent them an email asking for an answer. Of course the answer they give if any will not stop some airlines insisting on an onward ticket within 30 days of arrival but it will give an answer regarding the regulations set by Immigration.

Sorry for the ignorant question, but isn't it 59 days now?

Sorry for the ignorant question, but isn't it 59 days now?
-@JustCallMeJoe

Not yet. Unless you have a 9a visa issued by your local consulate. But it does appear that the change to an automatic 59 days is imminent as I saw a blurb in one of the PI news sites about it. Any change in PI rules and regs seems to take a few weeks to percolate down and get put into practice.

But for those of us booking now for this winter airfares are going higher by the day, so I booked a 90 day return flight on PAL (changeable for free) and have requested a 90 day visa from my consulate. Otherwise I will avail myself of whatever combination of a 59 day visa and 'onward tickets' I need.

As to airlines, PAL from HNL is my best option, as I won't sit in coach or prem econ economy for a 14-15 hour flight from the west coast, and I'm not going to spend $5K to go Business. PAL Prem Econ from HNL to Cebu is comfortable, only $2K and 10 hours, which is my max. TIckets to HNL are cheap, it gives me a nice break midway, and I always use points for a free room in Waikiki.

Last trip I rented a nice Triumph 1200 Speed Twin and spent a day riding around the island :)

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/tropical_desert/IMG_0477.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

@pnwcyclist

But for those of us booking now for this winter airfares are going higher by the day

I shall be coming out to the Philippines later in the year. Just checked prices. Surprisingly they are 30% down on the same time last year. Economy return in Etihad from London to Manila is £700 ($900) with excellent connection times. Its £50 cheaper if you book with a third party booking agent but I prefer to book direct with the airline - many advantages.

For our American friends flying out from the East Coast (or Chicago O'Hare) an excellent choice is the Etihad flight from JFK to Manila with a 2 day complimentary (manage the jet lag) hotel stay (plus a free meal) at one of 6 4 star hotels in Abu Dhabi. Pleasant temps in November - March. Similar flight times as from LAX to Manila.

Warning - if you do avail of this airline you will be dazzled with the level of service compared to the US and Philippine Airline carriers ;)

I found an email address for The Bureau of Immigration Main office in Manila so I have sent them an email asking for an answer. Of course the answer they give if any will not stop some airlines insisting on an onward ticket within 30 days of arrival but it will give an answer regarding the regulations set by Immigration.
-@Cherryann01

I received an email from The Bureau of Immigration a few days ago saying that all visitors or tourists are required to present a two way ticket (Their wording). It went on to say that failure to do so shall prevent them entering the Philippines and they will be sent back to their country of origin.

I did send them another email asking them if the return portion of the ticket needs to be within 30 days of arrival but have not heard anything more. I expect the person that sent the email was not in a management position, just a low level clerk but the reply only confuses matters further. The wording used was two way ticket (return to us) and not onward ticket.

I honestly think that when you arrive it is a bit of a pick and mix, so to speak. One Officer may let you enter and the next might not.

Say I have a round trip ticket for 6 weeks from USA to Manila. Could I just buy a refundable ticket with a different with a different airline within the initial 30 days and use it as an onward ticket?

Cherryann01 said . . . I honestly think that when you arrive it is a bit of a pick and mix, so to speak. One Officer may let you enter and the next might not.

You can pick your nose, you can pick that one officer that will let you in, but you can't pick that one officers nose that lets you in.

@tdtom30nice good day i have a question.have a valid return ticket on sepemter 28 and came here on september 1 and would like to have done 29 more days here in the philippines is my plane ticket still valid or do i have to buy a new one

@tdtom30nice good day i have a question.have a valid return ticket on sepemter 28 and came here on september 1 and would like to have done 29 more days here in the philippines is my plane ticket still valid or do i have to buy a new one

I  guess I'm a lurker, or was, because I've never found most of the comments interesting or the subject compelling enough to add anything, complaint or advice. But being called a “expletive” lurker just because I read and rarely comment is rather droll and infantile on the part of the namer. Who made you King of this site, or it's main go-to?

Besides, the horrible spelling and lack of punctuation makes reading most of the comments a tiresome chore.

-@joskosben

Welcome to the forum.

Simply contact your airline and see if you can change the ticket/departure date and the cost to do so.

Don't forget that if you stay longer you will need to go to immi and extend your visa, cost P 3,030.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

@joskosben If you don't use your ticket on September 28 you will be considered as a "no-show" and the ticket gets canceled. Depending on the airline and the fare there might be no refund for that. Also depending on the airline and the fare you paid, you can try to rebook your flight to a later date. If this is not possible, cancel your flight and buy a new one home. You can also consider to buy a flight Manila - Hometown - Manila as this can be cheaper than a one way flight. For a visa extension you don't need to show them a new flight home. You can extend your tourist visa for up to 3 years. (law in Sept. 2023)

sharpedan70 said. . . . . I  guess I'm a lurker, or was, because I've never found most of the comments interesting or the subject compelling enough to add anything, complaint or advice. But being called a “expletive” lurker just because I read and rarely comment is rather droll and infantile on the part of the namer. Who made you King of this site, or it's main go-to?

Besides, the horrible spelling and lack of punctuation makes reading most of the comments a tiresome chore.

Keep on lurking . . .

From a previous post, you being the original poster, you mention you were a Ex Felon, now I find that interesting and compelling.

Perhaps bob and as said "lurking or lurking with intent".

I distinctly remember the perpetrators first post back in mid July (re felony) and while I asked a few pertinent questions never received a response until todays apparent attack 2 months later on my spelling and punctuation in a different thread, who made me the boss etc.

Remember the English show "Some mothers do have em?"

It seems lurking with intent is more apt.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Ooohhhh, have I touched a nerve? At least that's interesting.

Ooohhhh, have I touched a nerve? At least that's interesting.

-@sharpedan70

You have a problem? Spit it out and stop your dancing.

Cheers, Steve.

of course you can, the tourist visa can be extend maximum 2ys

of course you can, the tourist visa can be extend maximum 2ys

-@Coz Huang

Why don't you buy a RT with a two year stay and go to the airport. See what they say.

Using my way back machine (brain) I seem vaguely to remember reading the TOS (terms of service) on the Philippine Airlines website that unused tickets must be cancelled or a Fee maybe charged.

I cancelled my exit ticket online before the expiration date.

@sharpedan70

Coach 53 is no longer active on this Forum. Last time we heard he was being treated at a Stockholm clinic 2639.svg

@bigpearl

Remember the English show "Some mothers do have em?"

Ooohhhh Betty! 1f923.svg

@mugteck I wonder if a SRRV visa makes the 30 days a moot point.   I haven't tried to call Philippine Airlines but will do so before my next trip.

@mugteck I wonder if a SRRV visa makes the 30 days a moot point.   I haven't tried to call Philippine Airlines but will do so before my next trip.

-@Robertee

I do not know about such things, coming in a few days with my wife and expected bb status.

I have not booked a return ticket on my last 2 trips here... maybe because I have my Philippines registered alien card?  Not sure... but they don't ask anymore to see a return flight.  I actually forgot the first time I returned home here... but this last time in May when I flew here I purposely didn't book a return and again they didn't ask... maybe it's because I am good about never staying over my visitor visa...  not sure.  Before when I first started moving here and only stayed here for 2 months or so at a time, they always asked for my return flight. 

Wellsfry said. . . . I have not booked a return ticket on my last 2 trips here... maybe because I have my Philippines registered alien card?  Not sure... but they don't ask anymore to see a return flight.  I actually forgot the first time I returned home here... but this last time in May when I flew here I purposely didn't book a return and again they didn't ask... maybe it's because I am good about never staying over my visitor visa...  not sure.  Before when I first started moving here and only stayed here for 2 months or so at a time, they always asked for my return flight. 

(1)How did they know you have your alien card?

(2) When you say they never asked, who is they?

(3) (They) The airlines check-in or immigration when you arrived?

I have not booked a return ticket on my last 2 trips here... maybe because I have my Philippines registered alien card?  Not sure... but they don't ask anymore to see a return flight.  I actually forgot the first time I returned home here... but this last time in May when I flew here I purposely didn't book a return and again they didn't ask... maybe it's because I am good about never staying over my visitor visa...  not sure.  Before when I first started moving here and only stayed here for 2 months or so at a time, they always asked for my return flight. 

-@Wellsfry

Which airline? PAL is strict about it, the Korean carriers not so much. That said, I think the rules may have finally been relaxed. With the onward tickets as cheap as they are why take a chance?

Which airline? PAL is strict about it, the Korean carriers not so much. That said, I think the rules may have finally been relaxed. With the onward tickets as cheap as they are why take a chance?

-@pnwcyclist

Just flew into Manila from Honolulu, have exit tickets for wife and me with another airline flying to Singapore next March.  PAL never asked for return tickets, showed our passports, my wife's laminated dual citizenship papers and a copy of our marriage license at immigration, got the bb stamp good until next October.

Hi guys

I Just land in cebu they never ask me if i had a return tickets, but yes i had one in case. 🤪🤪

GOOD TO BE HOME 🇵🇭🇵🇭

Cheers Real

@Enzyte Bob

1) I gave it to Immigration

2) Immigration

3) Both the airlines, and Immigration did not ask to see a return ticket. ... again... no idea why.

Older thread but… is it possible to buy a one way ticket to manila or cebu and a cheap one way to to another country in advance within the 30 day tourist visa? then just extend and buy a one way home at a later date?

Older thread but… is it possible to buy a one way ticket to manila or cebu and a cheap one way to to another country in advance within the 30 day tourist visa? then just extend and buy a one way home at a later date?

-@jakedmc

Welcome to the forum and simple answer yes, even if you don't use it. I have never been asked for an exit ticket with immi when extending my visa, thrown away many exit flights.

Cheers, Steve.