Thinking about early retirement here

I've been Googling furiously, but the websites give conflicting information, so I came here. I have a general idea of what is available in the country. I'm a Singaporean national who doesn't like his country of origin and is looking for a fresh start somewhere else. I'm also openly bisexual and polyamorous.

I have some friends in Surubaya and I can speak basic Bahasa Indonesian.

a) What are the real costs of living there? I'm single and just need a basic room. Don't care about sea views, but fast internet is a necessity as I WFH. Thinking of Pakwon Indah, looks good and decently priced.

I cook for myself and don't eat out much, so I can keep that down. I also am not big on entertainment and don't watch movies.

I do need someplace green to walk, my primary form of exercise.

What is healthcare like?

b) I definitely have investment income of 1k USD or so. I believe I need a long-term social visa?

c) I'm aware that Indonesia is a conservative country and they banned sex outside marriage. However, I have plenty of gay friends in Jakarta, so they exist. What is it like in general?

d) I'm assuming the infrastructure is relatively decent? When I moved to the USA I had to get used to where the barbers where, dentists etc. I have been to Indonesia a couple of times, it was ok.

e) Is the bureaucracy as horrible as they say? In my experience it's been bad everywhere.

I'd appreciate any help, as well as anything I haven't considered.

In my opinion, you need to spend more time visiting Indonesia as you seem to know very little about things over here. Also, what kind of long term visa do you intend to apply for.

I have been to Indonesia a couple of times before, stayed with friends in Jakarta and Surubaya. I do have Indonesian friends of 20+ years.

Social visa. I'm aware of the other visa classes.

Not many other replies?

To be honest, I think since you're a Singaporean, and you are certain about getting your long term social visa to live here in Indonesia, then you should just do it. Most of your concerns are unwarranted. Barbers and dentists and medical is fine and if you always have Singapore to fall back on if you were to need a serious operation. Yes there are plenty of gays in Indonesia but mostly they don't flaunt it so you should be fine.

Bureaucracy for you is mostly getting your visa and immigration underwent changes and are now more friendly and helpful than before. On a local level, there are a few things to do with government offices but nothing difficult. Infrastructure is fine here, what were you actually asking about it? Also, I think your income is enough to live on. Internet is fast enough here so no problems.

Indonesia has so many expats and they all manage fine and enjoy their lives. I have lived in Singapore and Malaysia and the reason I left and moved to Indonesia was because I found those places boring, and now living here for many years I have absolutely no regrets.

So again, as long as you are sure that you will get your long term social visa, then just do it. Sorry, I just think you are worrying about too much. I mean barbers, yeah Indonesians get their hair cut too, some go to cheap places like me and pay Rp40k and some go to expensive places and pay more, They are everywhere. Laundry places are also everywhere. Cheap food places are everywhere. Minimarts and supermarkets are everywhere. Banks are everywhere. Post offices and cafes with internet are everywhere. Don't worry about these things.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just got worried about food safety and other issues after reading horror stories from the Internet.

I just like to be prepared as possible before I do anything, hence all the questions.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just got worried about food safety and other issues after reading horror stories from the Internet.
-@tai an Zhou

The internet tends to have more horror than truth.

I eat street food, warung food and restaurant food everyday and have done so for many years. I think if you are living in a budget and like street food or food from small warungs then it's going to cost around Rp10k - 15k. I just don't ever get sick and I mostly eat from the places I know are good but do sometimes try other places. It's almost worth eating street food than cooking yourself when you think about the time and effort, washing up, and probably less tasty food that you might cook for yourself. I always get this great yamin asin (noodles) with clean shredded chicken meat and vegetables and soup on the side, total costs just Rp12k. Taste is great as they are handmade noodles, not instant ones.

Also you can tell the good places because they are popular. Indonesian street food is amazing so worth trying it all out and finding some favourites.

I eat street food, warung food and restaurant food everyday and have done so for many years.
-@wyngrove60

As do I.

Most of the best food in Indonesia is street food, so don't get worried - Just enjoy

Indonesian street food is amazing so worth trying it all out and finding some favourites.
-@wyngrove60

Yes, Yes, Yes

I do like Indonesian food and street food! If I do go there I hope you can recommend me good places. Maybe take a makan tour haha.

Maybe I'm just worried about nothing haha. Hard to tell what info online is legit.

As I said a couple of time already, life is very easy and enjoyable and affordable, as long as you have your long term visa.

That's why I want to go there haha.

Any tips on getting said visa? I plan to visit with the Social Budaya.

Sorry no idea, I am married to an Indonesian so it's kind of straightforward and relatively easy.