U.S. Social Security Form 7162

Bom dia. Does Form 7162 have to be mailed to Pennsylvania, or is there a way to file it online?

07/09/23 Bom dia. Does Form 7162 have to be mailed to Pennsylvania, or is there a way to file it online?
-@alan279

The Federal Benefits Office (FBU) at the US Embassy in Lisbon that administers Social Security for recipients living in Brazil may let you file with them electronically; I've filed some documents with them that way, although I haven't needed to file a 7162 yet.  Here's their contact info, they'll be able to tell you quickly:

https://pt.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … -security/

07/16/23 @alan279.  As it happens, I just received my first Form 7162 from Social Security today!  I've sent an email to the FBU in Lisbon to ask how I should return it, and I'll let you know how they respond.

@abthree I mailed my Form 7162 to Pennsylvania…

What is a Form 7162?

i receive my monthly to PayPal, so I have not changed any previous US addresses with Social Security.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

07/17/23 @abthree I mailed my Form 7162 to Pennsylvania…
-@alan279

I heard from the Lisbon FBU this morning, and they told me to do the same thing you did, so I'll send it to Pennsylvania this week.  They told me not to send it registered, so I'll send it fastest way I can without that.

@abthree I asked for “simples” at Correios. I paid R$16. 🤔

@abthree What is a form 7162?

We call it “proof of life”. 😀

From SSA:

The purpose of this form is to ensure that Social Security has the correct contact information for the beneficiary and that benefit eligibility continues. The form is mailed from the U.S. in May and a follow-up letter is mailed in September. Social Security notes that It is important that the forms are sent it back by regular postal mail using the enclosed return envelope provided by Social Security to insure continuation of benefits,

07/29/23 @abthree What is a form 7162?
-@roddiesho

It's what Alan279 said above, your Proof of Life. 

They don't send it to everyone, and they don't send it every year.  If they send one, it has to be returned by regular mail in the envelope provided.

@alan279, abthree. Well I have to go to the hospital for emergency surgery very soon, so hopefully I will need it. My only address is now my Brazilian one. I plan on getting the POSTAL ONE in the future but for now I am getting my benefits without any notification I know of.

07/30/23  @alan279, abthree. Well I have to go to the hospital for emergency surgery very soon, so hopefully I will need it. My only address is now my Brazilian one. I plan on getting the POSTAL ONE in the future but for now I am getting my benefits without any notification I know of.
-@roddiesho

Good luck with your surgery! 

@abthree Much Appreciated! There is a good chance it will go well, if not I don't have to pay my Permanent Residency by Spouse Lawyers the balance. They're still working on it.1f60e.svg

07/30/23 @abthree Much Appreciated! There is a good chance it will go well, if not I don't have to pay my Permanent Residency by Spouse Lawyers the balance. They're still working on it.1f60e.svg
-@roddiesho

Always looking on the bright side! 😂

@abthree I haven't received another Form 7162 but I received another monthly payment from Social Security today.

I am over a year out from moving to Brazil. I plan on starting SS next Oct. Direct deposit to my bank in the US. Until the dust settles and before I do the Libon thing and have my SS deposited my bank in Brazil, I plan on pushing the SS money down to Brazil for several months until we get situated. Will let my banker in Brazil know what is going on. Should I have any problem with this?

12/01/23 @56tbourne.  Not at all -- I think that yours is definitely the best plan.

Once you get to Brazil, think long and hard about the pros and cons of having your SS deposited directly into your Brazilian account,  unless you're sure that you'll want the whole thing in Reais every month. For me it's made more sense to consolidate my monthly income in my US account, and to transfer a set amount to my Brazilian account every month, insulating the rest from currency fluctuations.  It's been useful to have USD in the US to pay US bills, for ready access to dollars when we visit, to help family members in emergencies, and so on.  But everyone's needs and priorities are different.

12/01/23 @abthree I haven't received another Form 7162 but I received another monthly payment from Social Security today.

-@alan279

Sounds like they got it!  Mine too, since they're still paying. 👍🏻

@56tbourne I have my SS$ deposited in PayPal every month.  No Problems.

@abthree

I think that is GREAT advice.....thought about that as well for the possible future of spending time there...

@alan279Hvae you contacted the US embassy in Brazil to see if rhey do road shows like they do here in Colombia?   Here is an example  The U.S. Embassy in Colombia is pleased to announce that representatives from the Regional Federal Benefits Unit will visit Bogota, Cali, Medellin and Pereira to offer services for U.S. Social Security and other federal benefits.

Medellín

Location:        Centro Colombo Americano – Carrera 45 #53-24, Medellín, Colombia

Dates:             Monday, December 11 from 8:30 AM-12:00 PM and 1:00 PM-4:00 PM

Tuesday, December 12 from 8:30 AM-12:00 PM and 1:00 PM-4:00 PM

Wednesday, December 13 from 8:30 AM-12:00 PM and 1:00 PM-3:00 PM

Please schedule an appointment by sending an email to FBU.Santo.Domingo@ssa.gov with the subject line: “APPOINTMENT SSA – COLOMBIA”. Please include your full name, telephone number, the service required, and the last four digits of your social security number (if you have one) in the body of the message. You must bring original documents as well as a photocopy of each document required, as listed below.

If you wish to submit your Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire SSA 7162/7161 form, no appointment is required. You may drop-off the form during service hours at the above locations.

12/02/23  @lunamick  From time to time the responsible FBU (Federal Benefits Unit) does tour Brazil.  The last time was in 2019.  I went to one of the meetings then and found it very interesting.

For federal benefits purposes Brazil is part of a virtual region consisting of all Portuguese-speaking countries, managed by FBU Lisbon at the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal:

https://pt.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … -security/

I've contacted them several times, and always found them to be very responsive.