Can an ex-felon, married to a Filipina move to and live in Cebu?

I am going to be married to my Filipina girlfriend but I have a criminal background. We want to live in Cebu City. What are my requirements?

Is it my imagination or does it seem that half the ex-cons stateside are coming to the Philippines?

Mind you Jim Rockford was given a full pardon so he would have no visa concerns. Let me see now at todays exchange rate his daily fee would be 11,000 Pesos (plus expenses of course). No doubt he would do a roaring trade identifying Filipina's cheating on their foreign partners.

I am going to be married to my Filipina girlfriend but I have a criminal background. We want to live in Cebu City. What are my requirements?
-@sharpedan70

Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of recent posts on this subject here and other sites.

Some questions if that's ok?

1/ Are you going to marry in your home country or the Philippines.

2/ Have you met this lady yet or LDR.

3/ Are you going to live in Cebu for good or move back with her to your home country.

4/ If you plan to live in Cebu are you self sufficient funds wise/steady income.

5/ Are you aware that if marrying in the Philippines there is no divorce, only an expensive annulment that can take years to accomplish.

6/ I'm sure others will add to my questions.

On the brighter side if you are not in a hurry to get married simply come here on a visitor visa, stay for 6 or 8 months, keep your nose clean then get a local NBI clearance for your marriage paperwork.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Lotus Eater said . . . .Is it my imagination or does it seem that half the ex-cons stateside are coming to the Philippines?
Mind you Jim Rockford was given a full pardon so he would have no visa concerns. Let me see now at todays exchange rate his daily fee would be 11,000 Pesos (plus expenses of course). No doubt he would do a roaring trade identifying Filipina's cheating on their foreign partners.

Strange as it might be, there are so many people who had a run in with law show up on this forum beyond the normal amount you would expect. It seems to me they are either running away from something or running to something.

A little offbeat: I had a friend in Vegas, when he moved to Vegas from Oregon, he was looking for a roommate. He found out his new roommate spent time in prison for Murder.

@Enzyte Bob

Was his roommate a femme fatale Bob? 🤣

Matters, little if you need a room mate femme fatale? Good luck to you/those that go that path, prefer to be independent and play if the need arises,

I'm sure ex felons are versed in the idiosyncrasies  and then some.

Back on topic? Let's wait for the OP's response.

Cheers, Steve.

Define criminal background - a one off offence or a string of convictions.

Define criminal background - a one off offence or a string of convictions.
-@Cherryann01

Interesting observation Cherryann. In the UK you have a criminal conviction if you were convicted of a criminal offence.

As I understand it Stateside there is a distinction between say a misdemeanour and a felony. Perhaps our American friends can clarify this.

Yes and if heinous crimes like pedophilia, rape or murder your record will follow you. Like some other chap said here or another site at 72 I'm harmless. look at Donald Trump or Joe Biden,,,,,, harmless?

Need I say more?

Cheers, Steve.

Lotus Eater said . . . As I understand it Stateside there is a distinction between say a misdemeanour and a felony. Perhaps our American friends can clarify this.

With the over crowed courts in the states the sixth amendment is the right to a speedy trial (70 days). Many serious charges end up with a plea bargain of guilty for a reduced sentence.

Felonies can be reduced to misdemeanors, unless serious. You can plead guilt in a plea bargain for reduced time, but if you choose a jury trial and found guilty, you will do serious time.

@Enzyte Bob

Felonies can be reduced to misdemeanors

As is the case recently with Hunter Biden.

@woolfork, I've been married to my Filipino wife for two years I'm 68 and my concerns is I have a felony that 16 years old one is abduction and assault on a family member. Will this be a problem

@bigpearl

I am 68 and 17 years ago. My wife and I had a scuffle she slipped fail, broke her arm and I held her up for two minutes. My wife did not press charges on me, but her boss lady did so now my wife has died. been dead now for us going on five years and I remarried to Filipino, I want to know where that assault and abduction keep me from living in the Philippines ?

larrywoolfork said. . . . . I am 68 and 17 years ago. My wife and I had a scuffle she slipped fail, broke her arm.

Was that fall down a flight of stairs? I suggest to your new wife buy a bungalow.

@larrywoolfork

I think that it could be a problem to get a P.R., but not a tourist visa.

I don't think the Philippines checks the background on those coming to the Philippines, if you are on a wanted list by the FBI or Interpol maybe they have that, over the years I have saw wanted criminals captured in he Philippines with the PNP and FBI together, they had no trouble entering the Philippines, the FBI has a field office in Davao and they know when you leave the USA if you land here they will look for you