Opening a bank account in Thailand

Hi you all  I am American citizen planning to retire in Thailand soon can anybody  help with what is the best route to open there a bank account and witch best bank thank you so much Avi

Hello Tsion Gigi,

Till members guide you and share their recommendations, I would suggest that you read the The banking system in Thailand article which will provide you first hand infos.

In which region are you planning to relocate ?

Regards

Bhavna

Hola.

You need a visa with a duration of 60 days or more to open a bank account at most major banks.  Bangkok Bank is one of the most expat friendly, and offer financial services from regular consumer banking to premium services to private banking.  Which type of banking you choose may depend on the type of visa you get (retiree vs long-term).  There are fiscal and economic advantages to different accounts and set ups.

I looked into opening an account with the domestic charter of my international bank, decided instead on Bangkok Bank for the reasons I mentioned above, plus one more:  my bank only has offices in Bangkok, no branches.  That's a trip if something needs wet signatures or in-person attention, don't need the extra moving parts.

Have a look at the Siam Commercial Bank for infos.

I hope this helped -- take care and cheers!

My experience

1) go to your embassy and get a certificate stating you are holding the passport you will submit

2) get a proof of residency

3) go to the bank to open a local THB currency account

if you want to open a different account, it will be a similar but separate process and you must  have a second passport certificate and proof of residency

the previous documents used for opening the fist account cannot be used… crazy 😝 but it was like that

also… even though I was in Bangkok bak Headquarters center Bangkok, the English was very poor

Thai staff  nice, polite, willing to help, but not even a basic English

bring a Thai friend that can help you for translation

be ready to waste 2 or 3 or 4 hours

always a huge queue there

My experience
1) go to your embassy and get a certificate stating you are holding the passport you will submit
2) get a proof of residency
3) go to the bank to open a local THB currency account
if you want to open a different account, it will be a similar but separate process and you must have a second passport certificate and proof of residency
the previous documents used for opening the fist account cannot be used… crazy 😝 but it was like that
also… even though I was in Bangkok bak Headquarters center Bangkok, the English was very poor
Thai staff nice, polite, willing to help, but not even a basic English
bring a Thai friend that can help you for translation
be ready to waste 2 or 3 or 4 hours
always a huge queue there
-@bratstvo

He's an American and he hasn't even mentioned where in Thailand he's going to stay. The US Embassy in Bangkok no longer issues the equivalent to immigrations Residence Certificate,and several other certificates. Several banks don't ask for a Residence Certificate, but, many Bangkok Bank branches still accepts immigrations RC.

Hola.
You need a visa with a duration of 60 days or more to open a bank account at most major banks. Bangkok Bank is one of the most expat friendly, and offer financial services from regular consumer banking to premium services to private banking. Which type of banking you choose may depend on the type of visa you get (retiree vs long-term). There are fiscal and economic advantages to different accounts and set ups.

I looked into opening an account with the domestic charter of my international bank, decided instead on Bangkok Bank for the reasons I mentioned above, plus one more: my bank only has offices in Bangkok, no branches. That's a trip if something needs wet signatures or in-person attention, don't need the extra moving parts.

Have a look at the Siam Commercial Bank for infos.

I hope this helped -- take care and cheers!
-@pr3d4t0r

"You need a visa with a duration of 60 days or more to open a bank account at most major banks."

Not correct. There's not one thai bank that officially accepts a short term visa. I guess you haven't checked out requirements online. Most banks don't even officially accepts foreigners. Bangkok Bank does if you meet the requirements. ttb-Bank is a merger between Thai Military Bank and Thanachart bank and they officially accepts for example retirees with a long term permission of stay and a permanent address. The keyword is "officially", it's totally irrelevant what is possible at some bank branches. Another thing, this guy is American and many branches just refuses to let them open a simple savings account because of FATCA. They hate the paperwork.

@Leeds forever! I just said, I share my experience…

@Leeds forever! I just said, I share my experience…
-@bratstvo

Yes, but It won't help this guy when he's from the US together with an embassy which doesn't care the least about citizens in Thailand.

@Leeds forever! I too am American and thinking of retiring in Thailand. I've got to say this whole research phase is really frustrating with all the differing responses in most subject areas. I just went to Bangkok Bank's website and it seemed to me it would be relatively easy just to open the account in their New York branch before moving. Maybe I'm missing something.

@Leeds forever! I too am American and thinking of retiring in Thailand. I've got to say this whole research phase is really frustrating with all the differing responses in most subject areas. I just went to Bangkok Bank's website and it seemed to me it would be relatively easy just to open the account in their New York branch before moving. Maybe I'm missing something.
-@cgiles49

Open a Thai bank account at a Bangkok Bank branch in NY. I don't think that's possible. You need an account at a Thai bank in Thailand. The problem with loads of different responses here at Expat.com is the fact that a lot of people don't have a clue about official requirements. Some of them are rookies and some don't even live in Thailand long term. They also for some strange reason don't know that requirements changes,and not in a positive way for foreigners.

@Tsion Gigi US Embassy web site in Thailand. Recommendation Bangkok Bank. Also, check it out for other things, such as hospitals, lawers, tax men, etc...

@Tsion Gigi US Embassy web site in Thailand. Recommendation Bangkok Bank. Also, check it out for other things, such as hospitals, lawers, tax men, etc...
-@Travelerusa40

It doesn't matter what bank the US Embassy recommends when they have stopped issuing the equivalent to immigrations Residence Certificate, and that's the certificate Bangkok Bank officially asks for.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, LeedsForever. I've been reading a lot of forums and as you say, a lot of the information is wrong or outdated but I don't know which is which.

I am a Canadian, 61 years old, retired, I would like to go live in Chiang Mai for as long as possible. I have lived in Thailand before, as a student. I don't speak Thai, I don't have a Thai wife or girlfriend. I don't have anywhere to live yet but I do have enough money to support myself in renting an apartment. What are the options for opening a bank account, which I understand is crucial in me being able to live in Thailand long-term? Do I have to just go there on a 90-day tourist visa and rent an apartment (not a hotel) and then ask the banks in Chiang Mai what they need in order for me to open a bank account?

Many thanks for any help.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, LeedsForever. I've been reading a lot of forums and as you say, a lot of the information is wrong or outdated but I don't know which is which.
I am a Canadian, 61 years old, retired, I would like to go live in Chiang Mai for as long as possible. I have lived in Thailand before, as a student. I don't speak Thai, I don't have a Thai wife or girlfriend. I don't have anywhere to live yet but I do have enough money to support myself in renting an apartment. What are the options for opening a bank account, which I understand is crucial in me being able to live in Thailand long-term? Do I have to just go there on a 90-day tourist visa and rent an apartment (not a hotel) and then ask the banks in Chiang Mai what they need in order for me to open a bank account?

Many thanks for any help.
-@rbakker

First,there's no 90 days tourist visa. It's 60 days. Maybe you're thinking about the 90 days Non-immigrant O visa based on retirement. Second, don't stay at Airbnb, they're all ripoffs,go for a condo. Does the Canadian Embassy or consulate issue a Residence Certificate equal to the Affidavit of Residence the US Embassy issued earlier? If they do,with that you can open a savings account at Bangkok Bank. If not, you can apply for a Residence Certificate at Immigration in CM when you have a permanent address. Then,try using the certificate at Bangkok Bank,several branches still accepts it. If that fails,last step is trying other banks like for example Kasikorn Bank, Krungsri Bank or maybe ttb-Bank. You also need a Thai phone number and an email-address. Maybe expats staying in CM know which bank is the easiest when it comes to open accounts.

Thank you for your reply, LeedsUnited. I shall ask about the Affidavit of Residence.

Thanks for mentioning that about the 90-day visa, I'm still learning how all this works. If I understand correctly (from other posts) you don't think O-A and O-X are a good idea but the O visa is, is that correct? If not, which would be the right path to follow. I don't want to have to do visa runs.

Certainly, I will go for a condo, thanks for the advice.

Again, many thanks for your help and please correct any mistakes in my assumptions.

Thank you for your reply, LeedsUnited. I shall ask about the Affidavit of Residence.
Thanks for mentioning that about the 90-day visa, I'm still learning how all this works. If I understand correctly (from other posts) you don't think O-A and O-X are a good idea but the O visa is, is that correct? If not, which would be the right path to follow. I don't want to have to do visa runs.

Certainly, I will go for a condo, thanks for the advice.

Again, many thanks for your help and please correct any mistakes in my assumptions.
-@rbakker

In my opinion the 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement followed by annual extensions (at the local immigration office) is the best. No need for an expensive 1 year health insurance that must be renewed annually when going for the O-A. You apply for the 90 days Non-immigrant O at the Thai embassy or consulate in Canada. Just check out the requirements on their website. You'll need a health insurance, but only for 90 days. Check out Mr Prakarn online, google it. Go for the cheapest option that meet the requirements. After ~60 days you can apply for the 1 year extension based on retirement. There are of course requirements,like 800k baht in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to the day you apply for the extension. This is non-negotiable. It means finding a place to stay and opening the savings account pretty fast (not later than 30 days after arrival) is very important. The faster the better.

Thank you again! So, arrive in Thailand on the O visa then change to O-A within Thailand after 60ish days.

(The consulates in Canada say visas all have to be done online at the Thai website now)

I shall do all that I can to get the bank account set up asap.

Thank you again! So, arrive in Thailand on the O visa then change to O-A within Thailand after 60ish days.
(The consulates in Canada say visas all have to be done online at the Thai website now)
I shall do all that I can to get the bank account set up asap.
-@rbakker

You don't change anything. You arrive on the 90 days Non-immigrant O and extend the stay 1 year based on your initial O visa after ~60 days. The O-A Long Stay visa can only be applied for in Canada.

@Leeds forever!

Leeds you talked before about using Blue Cross. Can you give an idea

for the annual cost for the plan?

I understand if you don't want to give out personal info.

I'm sure I'm paying far too much with my FWB company for medical.

@Leeds forever!
Leeds you talked before about using Blue Cross. Can you give an idea
for the annual cost for the plan?
I understand if you don't want to give out personal info.
I'm sure I'm paying far too much with my FWB company for medical.
-@scbrock

I mentioned Pacific Cross. The annual cost depends on your age and chosen cover.

Hi LeedsForever,

Pardon my ignorance but if I go to  https://thaievisa.go.th and look for a Non-Immigrant O visa then there is none (I do see O-A and O-X). But if I choose one of the options then I see that Non-Immigrant O includes these categories, none of which apply to me:

Family of a Thai national (Immediate family includes spouse and children)

Voluntary work with NGO/Charity/Association (Without salary)

Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days)

Thai National Who have abandoned its Thai citizenship

To be a contestant or a witness for the judicial process

Medical treatment (longer than 60 days)

Diplomat's housekeeper

Am I missing something?

thanks again

@rbakker The Thai visa website is certainly confusing. If you click on "Which visa type should I apply for?" and select Passport Type = Ordinary Passport, the 'Purpose of Visit' dropdown box includes "Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wish to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days)". When you click on "Check" you are told "Your visa type is Non-immigrant visa (O)". However, if you click on "View Detail", the page you are taken to says nothing about visas based on retirement. The other thing I don't understand (although I think Leeds forever may have answered this in another thread) is how someone aged 50 could be in receipt of a state pension. I imagine this applies to you too, at the age of 61.

Hi LeedsForever,
Pardon my ignorance but if I go to https://thaievisa.go.th and look for a Non-Immigrant O visa then there is none (I do see O-A and O-X). But if I choose one of the options then I see that Non-Immigrant O includes these categories, none of which apply to me:
Family of a Thai national (Immediate family includes spouse and children)
Voluntary work with NGO/Charity/Association (Without salary)
Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days)
Thai National Who have abandoned its Thai citizenship
To be a contestant or a witness for the judicial process
Medical treatment (longer than 60 days)
Diplomat's housekeeper

Am I missing something?

thanks again
-@rbakker

You must log in and start the application to be able to see every type of Visa.

@rbakker The Thai visa website is certainly confusing. If you click on "Which visa type should I apply for?" and select Passport Type = Ordinary Passport, the 'Purpose of Visit' dropdown box includes "Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wish to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days)". When you click on "Check" you are told "Your visa type is Non-immigrant visa (O)". However, if you click on "View Detail", the page you are taken to says nothing about visas based on retirement. The other thing I don't understand (although I think Leeds forever may have answered this in another thread) is how someone aged 50 could be in receipt of a state pension. I imagine this applies to you too, at the age of 61.
-@Retiree

You dont need to be retired and receiving a state pension to be able to apply for the 90 days Non-immigrant O visa based on retirement. I applied for it years ago and I just had to show a certain amount of money in my bank account back home.When extending the stay annually in Thailand you can use the money in the bank method, 800k in a Thai bank account.

-@Retiree

If you don't meet the requirements for the 90 days Non-immigrant O visa,they have changed for some  countries because of the Thai visa online application, there's a plan B. So dont worry even if you don't receive a state pension (yet). You need 800k baht in a thai bank account,though. Instead of a 90 days Non-immigrant O visa based on retirement, you'll go for a 60 days tourist visa. I'll explain how it works to arrive on a tourist visa and the next steps to a 1 year extension. The 90 days Non-immigrant O visa is by far the best/easiest option, though. Less visits to immigration and a bit cheaper.

@Leeds forever! I have been reading your comments and yours are the most accurate, relevant and current info. This is just to let you know that I found out that I did not need a health insurance for Non Immigrant O visa in the UK. I applied yesterday 21Jan24 it did not ask me to attach the health insurance certificate nor any health insurance info on e visa application. It did not state on the website that I needed a health insurance for Non Immigrant O visa.  My question (which is not related to the O visa) is that I am going stay with my friend who rented 3 beds condo in Sathorn Area. Can I use TM30 from his Condo owner to open a bank account.  I guess my friend can just ask the owner to provide TM30 with my name on it,  with that I maybe able to open a bank account with my Non Immigrant O visa. Will that be OK or am i talking rubbish? I heard that If you are lucky to find those banks which do not even ask for proof of residency nor TM30 You will be able to open one. is that a still case or am i talking rubbish again ? please correct me if I am wrong Thank you so much Mr Leeds.

@marcson72

In Thailand, it always depends on the bank, the day, and who assists you at the bank. What happens to anyone today may not happen for anyone tomorrow.

I opened a bank account with a Tourist Visa from the US.  After that, I applied for a Yellow Book (residency document) that shows a reliable "permanence" to your stay in Thailand. I needed the property owner and 2 witnesses at the city hall. Applied. Got it within a week. The Yellow Book cuts through all red tape in almost any transaction in Thailand. They see that Yellow Book, and it's smooth sailing.

Good luck.

If you can convince the owner to certify that you are residing on his property then you can open a bank account, but why would he do so? What's in it for him? So, he may refuse.

As stated above, a lot depends on the bank and the person. If you have all the correct papers you can open a bank account in an hour. Just keep going from branch to branch till you find one willing to do it.

Thank you for your  info

@marcson72

Perhaps I need to clarify my experience.

My Tourist Visa was from the US. I opened the bank account here in Thailand. The bank only required my passport for identification.

@Karambit could you please tell when that was ? was it recent ? (Today is 23Jan2024) or last year ? when exactly was it ? Could you also please share which bank it was at which Branch Please ? Thank you so much.

@marcson72

It was about 17 years ago at Kasikorn Bank in Udon Thani.

But it never hurts to try anywhere at any bank on any day -- no matter how long ago it was. All they can tell you is 'no'.

@Karambit 17 years Ago ? lol with all due respect I mean,  come on we are taling about 17 years ago. Why do you want to try When you know the answer already ?  why waste your time and sweat ? Thank you for sharing the info from 17 years ago's

@Leeds forever! I have been reading your comments and yours are the most accurate, relevant and current info. This is just to let you know that I found out that I did not need a health insurance for Non Immigrant O visa in the UK. I applied yesterday 21Jan24 it did not ask me to attach the health insurance certificate nor any health insurance info on e visa application. It did not state on the website that I needed a health insurance for Non Immigrant O visa.  My question (which is not related to the O visa) is that I am going stay with my friend who rented 3 beds condo in Sathorn Area. Can I use TM30 from his Condo owner to open a bank account.  I guess my friend can just ask the owner to provide TM30 with my name on it,  with that I maybe able to open a bank account with my Non Immigrant O visa. Will that be OK or am i talking rubbish? I heard that If you are lucky to find those banks which do not even ask for proof of residency nor TM30 You will be able to open one. is that a still case or am i talking rubbish again ? please correct me if I am wrong Thank you so much Mr Leeds.         -@marcson72

I am marcson72. Correction: It does ask for Health insurance on the website this is my fault Sorry Mr @Leeds forever and Sorry guys ! but during the e visa application process it did not ask me to upload any health insurance deatils,  having said that tho it is still in the process so they may ask me to provide additional ducuments such as health insurance etc... I logged in today 23Jan2024 can see the progress but next step is like additional Ducument or something like that, that was how I realised that I may have to purchase/provide the Health insurance for 3 months. We will see. Good Day guys  Sorry about the misinfo.

@marcson72

Mate you need to understand with all beucracy in Thailand  it is not a exzact science , it largely depends on the person opposite you sitting at the desk ,

i was a bit lucky i had a Thai  driving lic  with my address

TM 30  passport with correct visa a Minimum ,

@marcson72

In the time you spend asking questions on here, you could be asking them in a bank branch.

Do what's best for you.  Live your best life.

@Karambit

you dont understand how Thsiland works , you will not get the same answers at different branches

and a query will be met with , a vague response

marcson72

I was not asked for proof of health insurance when I applied for the Non-Immigrant O two months ago.

I doubt you will be asked for it but please let us know what happens.

@petercurr55

I think I have posted that very thing on here in another thread.

What happens for you or me today, may not happen to you or me or anyone else tomorrow. It all depends on what day, who you talk to, and where you go.

@rbakker you are right. my Non Immigrant  O visa came through today. I did not have to provide any health insurance. they never asked me in the beginning during the e visa application But Will i be able to open a bank account in Thailand with this visa Only as i do not have TM30 or anything like that ? wish me luck cheers !