Have prices changed much?

Hi all, I last was in Laos in 2014 and we have spent the intervening years in NZ.

I'm due to retire properly to Laos in 2024. My wife (Lao) tells me that prices for day to day living, have gone up a lot.

Can any one give me, a sense of the current situation?

Perhaps the market prices of:

Beer Lao, big bottle ?

a Kg of Pork ?

a Kg of Frogs ?

a litre of Petrol ?

Cheers

M     1f600.svg

Check numbeo.com for prices.

Pork not on there but online search found $1.69c per kg.

Online search, frogs legs $5.80c to $8.40/kg

All prices as of June 2023

Thanks for that, Stumpy, I remember your name from  2011~2014 on this or another site.

Thanks for that, Stumpy, I remember your name from 2011~2014 on this or another site.
-@MNissen

Have been on this site since 2009.

Food Prices Affect Families in Laos Despite Easing Inflation

https://laotiantimes.com/2023/09/19/foo … inflation/

"While inflation has eased since early 2023, Laos still has one of the highest inflation rates in the world. The national currency continues to lose value against foreign currencies, driving up the cost of many imported products that Lao consumers depend on. Average household incomes rose by 11.5 percent between May 2022 and May 2023, but year-on-year inflation stood at around 36 percent over the same period, while 54 percent of families reported unchanged or declining incomes."

@MNisse

Me too i want to retire in Laos

@jayrozzetti23

Thank you, yes my wife says similar things about prices.

And I guess I'm going to be in for some sticker shock when I make the move in '24.

My Lao family tells me that living costs are continually rising, albeit a little at a time.

We are lucky in that we get rice sent to us from family growers in Champassak.

Every little bit helps.