Menu
Expat.com

Primary Schools in Frankfurt

Last activity 05 August 2023 by TominStuttgart

bingvie

HI all, I am new to Frankfurt, and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for my kids, 8 years and 6 years old for good schools. I'm thinking of bilingual schools, international school, good public schools, if you have any recommendations, please kindly let me know, many thanks for your help. Best regards, bing

beppi

I don't know the Frankfurt school scene, but can add some generic remarks (most of which have been discussed in detail in other threads, which you should read!):

• Private schools in Germany are expensive (at least 1000€/month per child) and not necessarily better than public ones.
  • Bilingual schools are geared towards German students learning more English, not foreigners learning German. This might now be what your kids need.
  • Public schools are genarally good (and of very similar standard,so there is no need to shop around) and free of charge, but all teaching is in German. Some offer "integration classes" to bring foreign kids up to speed (not only in the language).
TominStuttgart

Nearly all public schools are fine. In many countries the public schools tend to be bad and the only way to get a good education is at private school. This is not true in Germany. One doesn't really get a choice though. One goes to the one assigned to you, usually the nearest one that has space. For children with special needs or say they don't speak German yet and need remedial help with the language then it is possible a school a bit farther away might be decided to be the one best suited.

Most private schools and certainly international ones tend to be very expensive and not necessarily any better academically. The influence one can have on their kids’ school is their choice of where to live. If one lives in the poorest part of a city, rather than one of the richer areas, then your kids will also go to school with kids of poorer families. Such families might tend to be more blue collar workers than academics. Thus the attitude towards education can be different. Not that there is anything wrong with being a laborer per se.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Frankfurt

• Student life in Frankfurt
    Student life in Frankfurt

Frankfurt ranks among the top preferences of international students who want to study in Germany. The city not ...

• Universities in Frankfurt
    Universities in Frankfurt

Studying in Frankfurt and receiving a degree from a university in Frankfurt is a long-term investment in your ...

• Student life in Germany
    Student life in Germany

Studying in Germany has so many benefits for international students. What makes the experience even better is that ...

• Study in Germany
    Study in Germany

Germany has about 400 state-recognized higher education institutions, offering 20,000 study programs at all levels ...

• Requirements to study in Germany
    Requirements to study in Germany

Germany offers quality education, with 240 state universities and 100 private universities located throughout the ...

• Buying property in Frankfurt
    Buying property in Frankfurt

Frankfurt has a very lively real estate market, and buying a house there is, without a doubt, a worthy long-term ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Frankfurt
    Popular neighbourhoods in Frankfurt

Frankfurt is an international city and an important financial center in Europe, and each neighborhood has a story ...

• Things to do on weekdays in Frankfurt
    Things to do on weekdays in Frankfurt

Frankfurt is a city of culture, fun, and many contrasts, which can be seen in the different neighborhoods and the ...

All of Frankfurt's guide articles