Menu
Expat.com

Bringing my dog with me to San Jose

Last activity 09 September 2023 by AJGrandmaa

lightright

HI everyone, My name is Shep.

Question: has anyone brought a small dog with them? Mine flies with me in the cabin and is a little guy. I looked up requirements 1f600.svgand while pretty long they are doable but would love to hear from anyone with first hand experience.

I had been living in Guatemala and presently (10 years)

yet I am in the US. now. So I will be flying from the US to CR

I am planning on a pre-trip to Costa Rica with my dog and then making the big decisions. I need to be close to San Jose for the first 2-3 weeks so would appreciate advice on where my dog and I might look for a lower-cost hotel or Airbnb for this time. I can't pay $100 a night!

Would really like to talk to anyone from the US that has traveled with their dog.

THANK YOU

inivin57

@lightright Absolutely just make sure your pups paperwork is up to date!

Plenty cheap friendly SJ hotels/motels for 20mil = $35-45 a night and up.

booking.com/pets/city/cr/brasil.es.html

AJGrandmaa

@lightright Hi I’m from Canada and we just took our small dog in cabin to CR for three weeks.  We now have residency and will be going back and forth with her.  This was our first trip with her as she  was 4 months old, so it was a learning experience.  Research well the entry requirements for taking your pooch from the US.  From Canada it was a lot of paperwork (included our Canadian vet and “Canada Food Inspection Agency” approval prepared on the CR approved Spanish bilingual forms specifically for Canada)   but as you say “doable”.  I cannot comment on the US/CR forms but assume there is something similar.   Be aware when in CR, you also need the CR Sanasa’s paper work to exit with your pooch (requires a CR vet visit and likely another internal and external parasite treatment) and the CR vet needs to have that paperwork authenticated by Sanasa.  That may take a day (ours took 1/2 day).  Cost of that vet visit and  paperwork in CR  was about $150 USD.  Plan that well and follow the time lines or you will not be able to leave with you pooch!  As for hotels, there were lots of Air BNBs that allow dogs, and some hotels - just do your home work and you will be fine!  It’s a lot of paperwork but so worth it to have your pup with you!  We found the restaurants and most places to be very dog friendly - Good luck!

lightright

@inivin57  yes always. I hear two different messages one is that if we depart before 30 days is up that my dog does not have to go to a CR vet. Do you know?

Hemp Mother

@lightright When entering a new country you have to each time returning home depending how long you have been gone you may have too. you can call a vet to ask

AJGrandmaa

We were there 19 days in June - July and had to do the vet check in CR. We inquired and the Airline would not allow us to board without it, so we went through the steps.  I have also tried to get clarification on the amount of time in CR before vet check  is really required (i had heard 21 days?) but have not been successful.  I emailed the CR Embassy in Canada as there was no information on the site about exiting CR with your pet and they responded they were not aware of that requirement and were looking into it.  I think an email directly to SANASA may be helpful. 

Articles to help you in your expat project in San Jose

• Work in San Jose
    Work in San Jose

As the country's capital, San José is home to almost half of Costa Rica's population. Read this ...

• Accommodation in San Jose
    Accommodation in San Jose

Accommodation is plentiful in Costa Rica's capital, and you'll find something to fit any budget or ...

• Leisure in San Jose
    Leisure in San Jose

San José, affectionately known as Chepe, is Costa Rica's largest city and capital and has a ...

• Transports in San Jose
    Transports in San Jose

Moving to San Jose? Find out all you need to know on the capital city's transport network in this article.

• Work in Costa Rica
    Work in Costa Rica

A low unemployment rate and a strong economy set Costa Rica apart from its neighbours. If you have fallen in love ...

• The health care system in Costa Rica
    The health care system in Costa Rica

Costa Rica has received international praise for its modern healthcare system, and both citizens and legal ...

• Key facts for international students in Costa Rica
    Key facts for international students in Costa Rica

Costa Rica is an attractive and affordable country in which to study, with one of the highest literacy rates in ...

• Banking in Costa Rica
    Banking in Costa Rica

As a foreigner living in Costa Rica, it is likely that you will at some point wish to open a local bank account. ...

All of San Jose's guide articles