English speaking community in Béziers

Hello -

I am new to this forum. We are seriously considering moving to Béziers. A huge consideration is if can be part of an English speaking community. Can someone tell me about their experience?

thank you loads, Lisa

Hi Lisa, no intention at all to judge what so ever but I can't help but wonder .... why move to France to find an English speaking Community ...

@Lisa365 Hi Lisa   I live in Nissan lez Enserune which is 10 kms from Beziers.  There are a lot of English people here and many of the locals speak some English including the nice man who runs the Café de Commerce.  There are a group of English who are best to avoid.  However if you move here I would be happy to help you settle in.  My French is fluent.  Chris Ward

I've lived in central Béziers with my wife since early 2022 and we would never live anywhere else now. In just a short time we have made many new French friends and also a lot of English speaking buddies, mostly expats from the US, UK, Australia and so on.

Although it's great to be able to integrate with your local French community, I can understand why you might also want to make English speaking friends too.

My wife speaks very good French but mine is still quite poor. Therefore, I have been attending French language classes.  In addition to improving my French, I've found that classes like this are also a great way to make new anglophone friends who are in the same boat.

Hope that's useful.

Tony

Hi Lisa, no intention at all to judge what so ever but I can't help but wonder .... why move to France to find an English speaking Community ...
-@vsam

Sometimes its nice to have your native language nearby.

@tony14

Hi there,

Thinking of Beziers as a permanent move.

I know a lot of France,  Been Montpellier twice and in 2022 we visited Beziers from there on the train.

My French is reasonable, once v good.  My partner is learning.

Job opportunities and feasibility these days ?

We're thinking of moving over to 'retire' next couple of years, though won't be retiring in the English conventional sense - will still want to work part-time/volunteer... 

Mike