Expats in Pau?

Hello!  My brother (65yrs) bought a home in Pau last year and I have been loving exploring the area with him on my visits from the States.  He has lived in the San Fran Bay area for the past 30+ years and plans to stay in Pau from May until October every year going forward.

I would love him to find a friend group so he doesn't turn into a hermit. He speaks very little French but is trying to learn.

Is there an Expat group or a place where he can go to meet others.  He dines and drinks his wine alone, it saddens me.  I want him to find some folks to enjoy this wonderful life with.

He loves backgammon, hiking, wine/food and had traveled the world extensively. He is an author and one of the most interesting people I know. 

Can anyone point me to where he may find some like minded people in Pau?  I want him to flourish in France or eat least not be alone all the time.

Thank you for any input you may have.

@bethasmith66 Hello Beth, I randomly stubbled upon your query and would like to connect. We also have just moved to Pau and would like to expand our social opportunities.  I'm originally from Dallas, Texas but married a French transplant and we are now raising our 2 year old son in Pau.  We love food and wine and share the sentiment that nobody should eat or drink alone :) I can be reached at *** if you would like to share my contact details with your brother.  We are a young family and would love the opportunity to meet new people in Pau. 

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@bethasmith66

There is an english speaking group in Pau which organizes many activities (walks, lunch, board games, etc)

Many anglopaupyr group members are active retirees.

Pau is very nice, the weather is usually good (not as good as SF - how could it) and and there are opportunities for a range of outdoor activities.

For retirees speaking french there are activities organized by the city (e.g. art and language classes) as well as "clubs" (such as sky clubs which organize day-long sky thrips to nearby winter resorts - not much french is needed for that)

There is also a group/club for welcoming people who move to the area - mostly retired people who don't have local connections through work for example (in french but there are foreigners there as well).

They organize seminars, day trips to Spain, etc.

And there are also Americans around, even Californians :) I lived in the bay area many years and I know someone else who lived in N Cal for some time.

@bethasmith66  hello beth,

my husband and i are currently in pau exploring it as a potential place to live. we are would love to take your brother to lunch while here. unsure how to connect. Hope @mzbsd allows you to message us on this platform. we also have a french cell phone plus can text or email. jlmk what works. best, Marcia

Hello,

My husband and retired to Pau a year ago and are of similar age and share similar interests of your brother. We would be delighted to meet him.  Let us know if and how we should reach out to him.  we would also be interested in meeting other Pau residents responding to this post!  How do we share contact details?

Theresa & John

@GuestPoster23112

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please tell me where to find information on these groups you are referring to?  Thank you you for the information.

@Bonnie & Cylde

Thank you for your reply I just figured out how to see it!

Not sure how to connect.  Looks like the moderators stop any numbers??

@theresabrown64

Hi!  Not sure how to share contact info either.

E-mails?  So scared to put anything out there anymore.

Hello everyone,

You can DM (direct message) any contact details to a member by clicking on his photo/username > choose the send a message option. That way your contact details will be sent to the member in private.

To check any private message you receive, click on the message icon at the top

@bethasmith66

Hi, I have just joined this site and have noticed that most of the posts do not

seem to  get replies which is strange. I would suggest that your brother start a language exchange group so he can meet people that way. Best of luck.