Menu
Expat.com

Move to Belize

Last activity 16 September 2023 by Aerodex

sharon1985

Hi there,

I am a Canadian from Cambridge & looking at buying a lot in the Holistica Belize lots.  I have not done a tour yet.  Does anyone have any recent information about buying these lots?  Want to make sure it’s not a scam.  Any advice is appreciated on the area.  Thank you.

mhuyett

@sharon1985

Hello. I live in Belize and would be happy to share what I know about them.

Michael

MisterAnybody

Didn't see any site development pics on their webpage. That's a big red flag. Also kinda weird that in their video, they say there are relaxing beaches nearby, but the one they show looks like it's in Placencia, which is at least an hour from where they place Holistica on their map. Also, that area is super dead. The space between Hopkins and Placencia is like no-man's land. You could spend about 30% more and get a super nice spot in San Pedro or Caye Caulker. Just an idea.

So I'd advise this:

Throw $1,000 to a local Belizean attorney for a retainer, then visit the developers in person and let them know the name of the attorney you'll be using to sue them if there are unnecessary delays or cost increases.

Just my two cents. I almost got scammed by something similar, but I'm now building successfully in Caye Caulker. Establishing a foundation for litigation ahead of time insulates you from scammers. Legitimate builders will be like, "Yes, she's an excellent attorney. Good idea. Thanks for letting us know." Scammers will be like, "Well, you won't need her/him because this will be done in 7 months."

Also, if they haven't already built and sold enough units to fund the construction of yours, run away quickly. That's how construction financing in Belize works. Best wishes, and you're going to LOVE Belize, no matter where you end up living.

abnharper

Contact Belize Law and ask to speak to Ryan or Yolanda at +***.  I have found them to be the best after researching.,

Harper

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please share contact details in private. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
tonya5

@mhuyett please share what you know. I’m planning an inaugural trip to Belize in Nov to scout opportunities for relocation. Seeking intentional community.

abnharper

Sorry about that Bhava, Sharon 1985 if you still need contact information reach out to me directly

Harper

Aerodex

Hi there,
I am a Canadian from Cambridge & looking at buying a lot in the Holistica Belize lots.  I have not done a tour yet.  Does anyone have any recent information about buying these lots?  Want to make sure it’s not a scam.  Any advice is appreciated on the area.  Thank you.

-@sharon1985

Their property is directly across the road from Ak Aggregate a division of AL Construction at mile marker 25 Southern Hwy, Belize.

They only advertise OUTSIDE of Belize. I have asked several friends living/driving regulery on that side. Not one of them even knew it was supposedly being developed...they report no sign of development. Except along the side close to the Highway has Teak trees planted up to the stream. (Stream is dry except in part of the rainy season)

The Teak tree plots are being sold as investments by the same folks as are allegedly developing Holistica. I have asked Belizions that are well connected, not one of them knew anything about Holistica. From past questions from other Canadians on here, the ads have been running in Canada for at least three years. The folks running the ads, and their contact info are from Southern California.

In my opinion this 200 acre property (that includes the Teak Tree lots for sale), is way too small for the number of lots they show. It is too far from shopping/stores/recreation to survive on its own. And what about transportation or parking areas for a bunch of residents cars? 

Just my opinion, but Way too many red flags for me.

Aerodex

@MisterAnybody

Yes, they have no pics of the site, because there has been no development, unless they have done something since July 2023 when I last rode by the site.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles