Menu
Expat.com

Tax question

Last activity 09 January 2024 by Moyy504

cxmelga

Hello

Can someone please give me some general advise based on the following pleasea, thanks in advance.

I plan to retire to Spain (using my Irish passport rather than my uk passport)

After a property purchase I will have about 1,200,000 (1.2m) euros left over.

About 50% pension pot (private pension) and 50% savings.

Now the saving have already had tax paid on them (earned and taxed income in the UK). So ignoring any interest received on the savings for a moment. If I spend my core savings to live on (pay bills etc). I assume there is zero tax on this as it was already taxed when originally earned (savings over many years). Is the correct?

Thanks

Charlie

pascalFFM

@cxmelga use both passport. Irisch for residence next for next

cxmelga

Hi Pascal

Thanks for the message, what do you mean when you said 'next to next'?

Thanks

cxmelga

I meant when you said 'next for next' ?

Thanks

daadvisers

Hi my name is Gabriel, tax and financial advisor in Spain

let me know your questions

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
daadvisers

@cxmelga

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
gwynj

@cxmelga

Yeah, defo use your Irish passport as residence (officially, EU Citizen Registration) is easy-peasy for EU passport holders.

Using your savings to pay bills is simply expenditure, not income. Income tax is charged on your income (e.g. interest on your savings).

Spain does have a Wealth Tax too, but this probably doesn't apply to you (unless you're spending a couple of million on your property purchase).

cxmelga

Thanks very much for the information 1f600.svg

pascalFFM

@pascalFFM

I mean you can open an account (Euro GBP or US) in London or british territories with your british passport

Good Luck ! find the right bank - RBS LLoyds etc

washingx

@daadvisers

If I receive social security and veterans disability benefits from the government in the US, will I be taxed on these benefits in Spain if I become a Spanish resident???

washingx

If I receive social security and veterans disability benefits from the government in the US, will I be taxed on these benefits in Spain if I become a Spanish resident???

gwynj

@washingx

Welcome to the expat.com and good luck with your potential move to sunny Spain!

If you want a definitive answer for your particular case, you'll probably need to consult with a Spanish tax expert. I'm not one of those, but I can give you some general guidance which I hope will be helpful.

You can become a legal resident of Spain by obtaining an appropriate residence visa. Most likely in your case, this would be the No Lucrativa Visa. The NLV a non-working visa for those with passive income such as pensions, disability benefits, rent, dividends, etc. As you'd expect, it's a very popular visa, especially with retirees. (You need approximately 2,500 euros per month in income, or you can show savings of just under 30k euros.)

Being a legal resident is (usually) distinct from being a tax resident, and there are many expats who structure their time to avoid becoming a Spanish tax resident (normally by simply spending less than 183 days in Spain each year).

If you relocate full-time to Spain, then you will, inevitably, become a Spanish tax resident, and subject to Spanish taxation.

For most expats, they simply swap tax payment in one country for another. However, Americans end up as tax residents in two countries: USA by virtue of their citizenship/passport, and Spain by virtue of their extended physical residence in the country.

Therefore, I suspect it's hard to avoid a bit of paperwork where you file two tax returns each year, and pay the appropriate tax in each country. Some folks pay a professional to help them get them right. Some folks ignore the second tax residence country and hope for the best. :-)

In any case, Spain and USA have a Double Taxation Agreement. This DTA allows some exemptions, and allows credit for tax already paid in one country. Which means, typically, if you've paid the USA some tax, you don't have to pay it again to Spain. It's a bit of a dry read, but you can easily find it online if you want to see what it says.

My guess is that unless you were a Four-Star General you're not raking in the big bucks as a retiree. And that your USA tax burden is probably quite small. And once that's paid, it's likely that there's little or none extra that will need to be paid to Spain.

washingx

@gwynj

Thank you very much for your quick and concise answer. I'll reach out to a tax expert in Spain as you've suggested. The agreement between the 2 countries concerning  dual taxation is not really clear.

" unless you were a Four-Star General" 1f602.svg

Enjoy your weekend!

Moyy504

@washingx

Did you ever get a definite answer? Ive been gettimg different answers from veterans about it being taxed in spain or not.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Taxes in Spain
    Taxes in Spain

If you are a foreigner living in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar year, you are classed as a resident ...

• Paying tax in Spain
    Paying tax in Spain

UK tax payer – but now living in Spain full time?

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

All of Spain's guide articles