Menu
Expat.com

Contract terminated during probation - exit / iqama question

Last activity 20 September 2023 by robertius

robertius

Dear all - I have been in the kingdom for a few weeks.  Unfortunately my employment situation has not worked out and I have been terminated during my probation.

I already have an iqama which theoretically allows me to stay in Saudi for a year. 

The economy is hot here and I would prefer to stay and look for another job (of course I understand my iqama would need to be transferred to the new employer.)

however my current employer (I’m serving garden leave) wants to issue me with an exit visa and send me home. 

question one - does my employer have to issue me with an exit visa in which case I have to leave in a few weeks or can my company allow me to reside in Saudi for the rest of the iqama active time while I seek a new role?

(To be clear my company has already told he they will be issuing me an exit visa which means I believe I will need to leave in October 23.) 

Question two - assuming the company issue Ke the exit visa and by some miracle I find another job quickly in saudi - can my company still transfer my iqama and cancel the exit visa? 

(The Saudi visa process took ages!  I’d hate to do it again.)

apologies I’m sure it’s a stupid question.  I’m very new and would love some guidance.

XTang

1) It is entirely up to them if they want you to leave or let you stay.  To sweeten the deal, I would suggest to talk to them nicely and ask them to allow you to stay............say that you will bear visa costs for the duration of the stay and that, you agree in writing not to seek indemnity for the period that you are not working for them (companies are wary of this i.e. they allow someone to stay and then they turn around later when they find a job and file a suit to recover additional indemnity on account of the extra time in service.........per Iqama)

2) Yes, the sponsor can cancel the exit visa at any time

robertius

Thank you xtang! very helpful

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saudi Arabia

• Starting a business in Saudi Arabia
    Starting a business in Saudi Arabia

With Saudi businesses increasing by 16 percent in the final quarter of 2023 and a 23% increase in commercial ...

• Working in Saudi Arabia
    Working in Saudi Arabia

Finding a job in Saudi Arabia is mostly done before entering the country. Employment visas are still the most ...

• Working in Jubail
    Working in Jubail

Jubail is a city in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia, and it has a population of around 500,000 people. It is ...

• Working in Riyadh
    Working in Riyadh

As the capital city of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh is one of the biggest urban communities in the country and is home to ...

• Working in Dammam
    Working in Dammam

Dammam, the Eastern province's capital city, is a very dynamic city in Saudi Arabia, almost as much as Khobar. ...

• Working in Jeddah
    Working in Jeddah

Jeddah is the most diverse city in Saudi Arabia. It is home to 3,75 million people and to the largest ...

• Working in Yanbu
    Working in Yanbu

Yanbu, which is found near the Red Sea, is deemed to be a port and industrial city. Situated on the ancient ...

• Internships in Saudi Arabia
    Internships in Saudi Arabia

Performing an internship in Saudi Arabia can be an interesting and enriching experience for young professionals. ...

All of Saudi Arabia's guide articles