Menu
Expat.com

Living in Johor Bahru / Working in Singapore

Last activity 24 December 2023 by clairefxw66

gimenezcarla37

Hello,

I've just been offered an internship in Singapore for January 2024. I'm planning to move there with my boyfriend, who's coming to do box.

We don't want to live in the city center because my office is outside the city center. So we were looking into living in Johor Bahru and commuting there every day. We will have a Work and Holiday visa for Singapour and no visa for Malaysia (French do not need to have visa until 3 months).

Is this legal as a French citizen, with a visa for Singapore Work & Travel and without a visa in Malaysia? A lot of French people do this in Switzerland or Monaco, and it's common practice here, but I don't know what it's like in Malaysia.

Also, is it feasible to travel by train every day? Are there any health or customs checks? I saw that it was a 1h30 journey.

Thank you very much and have a nice day,

Carla

Ajay Mohan

Hey Carla

It will be a bit of a commute...to do every day from JB to Singapore. A suggestion is to rent a room with some family in Singapore. You can find them on multiple sites like [link moderated]

All the best.

Ajay

Bhavna

@Ajay Mohan

Hello Ajay, thank you for the feedback. However, do you have any info about visa ?

The main focus is this question : Is this legal as a French citizen, with a visa for Singapore Work & Travel and without a visa in Malaysia?

Regards

Bhavna

Ajay Mohan

Dear Bhavna

French citizens do not need a tourist visa when travelling to Malaysia in 2023. French passport holders can stay in Malaysia for a short period (for 90 days). Since the person is not working in Malaysia but living  only. There is no issue.

Bhavna

@gimenezcarla37

How long to you plan to stay in Malaysia ?

gimenezcarla37

@Bhavna The plan is to stay like 2 or 3 months max. i would like to know if it’s legal to do this or not. Even if it’s like 2 hours it’s not a problem. I read an arricle about that but it was before covid. 300 000 crossed the borders everyday.

gimenezcarla37

@Ajay Mohan I've planed to ask for Singapore and Malaysian Visa. Maybe it will be possible, fingers' crossed. Do not hesitate if you have any information on this subject.

Bhavna

French passport holders can stay in Malaysia for a short period of time (for 90 days), so you will be fine.

All the best

Bhavna

Peter Chong

@gimenezcarla37

Well, you main concern of living in JB and working in Singapore is purely based on the fact that living costs are lower and cheaper in JB than in Singapore. It purely a case whether the Malaysian Immigration is acceptable to you entering and exiting on a daily basis. In my opinion, is dont forget to smile at the Immigration Officer as you come and go through.

Hope you enjoy your stay here

gimenezcarla37

Hi Peter Chong,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Yes, this is the plan but we only wanted to be sure that it could be possible.

Embassies of malaysia and singapore in france and vice versa could give us an answer...

Smiling is my greatest quality smile.png

Have a good day,

Carla

GuestPoster29105

I have been using this smile technique for long years ...now a days it doesn't work for me and officers started writing in my pp as visa advised,  visa req, long term visa need etc. Everytime I enter thru jb chk pt ,I got delayed and that forced me to apply for mm2h which is also pending for approval. Any other method please advice.

Park Somin

@Cgdbbmw instead of applying for mm2h spend that much money better to open some business in jb and get visa on that.

Jocelyne Cat Lady

hi Carla, the train KTM is  every 45 minutes only. you arrive at 07:35 or 08:50, in the north of Sg in Woodlands, then you need  metro( MRT) or  bus.  280$, a month for 2 persons only for the train, not mentioning the mrt or bus...the further you go the more expensive it gets

other option favored by Malaysians is bus SBS 170 ,(site sbstransit.com.sg) , but that takes over an hour...depending where you are going in SG ???

(watch out for wrong info: don't trust the app/site Rome2Rio which says that the train goes to Marsiling in JB, Marsiling is a MRT station in Singapore !!!!!   )

the customs officers will be very interested i am sure in why you travel from Malaysia every day and YOU WILL QUICKLY RUN OUT OF SPACE FOR STAMPS(3 trips max per page!) ON YOUR PASSPORT...considering it takes 4/6 months now to renew your French passport and 2 weeks to get an appointment to go to the French ambassy in Singapore, how do you expect to do that? also dont forget that wherever you go in Asia you passport must be VALID FOR ANOTHER 6 MONTHS after you have entered the country. (it took 9 months for my daughter in France to get a new French passport, she had to enter Singapore in august using her Singaporean passport , 3 days later she got the sms that her passportwas ready...)

Finally how do you expect to be able to rent a room in Malaysia if you don't have a visa/residence permit???

clairefxw66

@gimenezcarla37

Hi,

For most malaysians who are working in singapore, they have mainly two choice

1) Travel to and fro malaysia and singapore

Pros: Save money on accomodation

Cons: Wake up early to travel, long travel time, exhausting

2) Rent a place in singapore

Pros: Save time and effort to travel, more quality time to focus on your internship, need to check on peak hours to travel between malaysia and singapore

Cons: Finding a suitable place in singapore

Moderated by Bhavna 9 months ago
Reason : Promotional part removed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Johor Baharu

• Accommodation in Johor Baharu
    Accommodation in Johor Baharu

Johor Bahru is located in the southernmost region of Peninsular Malaysia, just across the border with Singapore. ...

• Accommodation in Malaysia
    Accommodation in Malaysia

Finding accommodation in Malaysia is relatively simple as there is no shortage of accommodation for foreigners in ...

• Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods
    Kuala Lumpur's neighbourhoods

Kuala Lumpur is a real megalopolis, surrounded by suburbs and neighborhoods so different from each other that they ...

• Buying property in Kuala Lumpur
    Buying property in Kuala Lumpur

When you plan to move to another country or another city, your first concern is undoubtedly where you are going to ...

• Expat death in Malaysia
    Expat death in Malaysia

The loss of a loved one is always a painful ordeal, but also often complicated for those left behind, especially ...

• The healthcare system in Malaysia
    The healthcare system in Malaysia

If you are moving to Malaysia alone or with your family, you will be happy to learn that this country has one of ...

• Getting around Kuala Lumpur
    Getting around Kuala Lumpur

One of the advantages of moving to Kuala Lumpur when settling in Malaysia is the quick access to many facilities ...

• Accommodation in Ipoh
    Accommodation in Ipoh

Compared to major cities in Southeast Asia, Ipoh is a more affordable choice and a dream come true for nature ...

All of Johor Baharu's guide articles