Menu
Expat.com

Getting registered with the Dutch government

Last activity 30 September 2023 by Cynic

Osti1878

Hello All,

I'm 42 and a UK citizen. I'm planning on moving to the Rotterdam area, I used to live in Schiedam for a spell because of my work. I don't necessarily need to work in the Netherlands due to the nature of my job and I do have Dutch contacts in that regard but I could do with some advise regarding getting registered with the Dutch government, any issues Brexit may cause me. I have a BSN from previous so I'm registered to a point however I can't find any documentation with this on. I'm guessing I would need to get this from City Hall?

If anyone has any further tips, feel free to DM me.

Thanks in advance.

Massimo

Bhavna

Hello and welcome on board Massimo !

I have created this new thread from your post on the Rotterdam forum so that members can guide you.

All the best

Bhavna

Osti1878

@Bhavna

That's great, thank you. I'll take a look now.

Osti1878

I can't seem to see this new thread.

Osti1878

Just realised my mistake 1f602.svg

Bhavna

@Osti1878

Hello 1f600.svg No problem ! Yes this is the new thread. I have been reading this article : Registration with the Gemeente

but it is quite old... I hope someone can provide up to date infos.

Have a nice day

Bhavna

Osti1878

@Bhavna

That's great, I already have a BSN so that's one thing I don't need to do but the other information is helpful.

Cynic

@Bhavna
That's great, I already have a BSN so that's one thing I don't need to do but the other information is helpful.

-@Osti1878

You do need to go and register at the Gemeente, you will keep your BSN.

Osti1878

@BhavnaThat's great, I already have a BSN so that's one thing I don't need to do but the other information is helpful.        -@Osti1878

You do need to go and register at the Gemeente, you will keep your BSN.

-@Cynic

Yeah, I probably didn't explain myself very well. I understand I still need to go and register but thanks for clarifying that. I think I'm going to organise a meeting with an immigration lawyer and take it from there as it doesn't seem overly difficult but I think it needs someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Cynic

Hi again.

It's not quite as simple as it should be.  If you are effectively self-employed, you may want to begin your process on the IND website; this link will take you straight to the relevant section.  A word of warning, don't try this if you only have one customer, IND view these arrangements as you are effectively an employee of the people you are working for and will not give you a visa on this basis.  Lawyers are useful if it is an interpretation or disagreement of/on the law, but it really isn't that hard to do it yourself.

Brexit - apart from the potential for getting in the wrong queue at passport control, it hasn't affected me at all and I travel to and from the UK to Holland frequently, If you're going to be trading (I don't) in and out of the EU, then a call to the Kamer van Koophandel may be a good idea; this link will take you straight to their website.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cynic

Expat Team

Osti1878

Hi again.
It's not quite as simple as it should be.  If you are effectively self-employed, you may want to begin your process on the IND website; this link will take you straight to the relevant section.  A word of warning, don't try this if you only have one customer, IND view these arrangements as you are effectively an employee of the people you are working for and will not give you a visa on this basis.  Lawyers are useful if it is an interpretation or disagreement of/on the law, but it really isn't that hard to do it yourself.

Brexit - apart from the potential for getting in the wrong queue at passport control, it hasn't affected me at all and I travel to and from the UK to Holland frequently, If you're going to be trading (I don't) in and out of the EU, then a call to the Kamer van Koophandel may be a good idea; this [link under review] will take you straight to their website.

I wish you the best of luck.

Cynic
Expat Team

-@Cynic

That great, thanks a lot. I am self employed in the UK and would like to continue that under a similar arrangement with the Dutch government if possible. I know it used to be as friends have done so but this was pre-brexit and I thought that may effect this. I will take a look at your links and will make contact with the relevant entities. I also regularly travel between the 2 countries as it is and there's no real difference apart from my passport being stamped.

SimCityAT

Hi again.It's not quite as simple as it should be.  If you are effectively self-employed, you may want to begin your process on the IND website; this link will take you straight to the relevant section.  A word of warning, don't try this if you only have one customer, IND view these arrangements as you are effectively an employee of the people you are working for and will not give you a visa on this basis.  Lawyers are useful if it is an interpretation or disagreement of/on the law, but it really isn't that hard to do it yourself.Brexit - apart from the potential for getting in the wrong queue at passport control, it hasn't affected me at all and I travel to and from the UK to Holland frequently, If you're going to be trading (I don't) in and out of the EU, then a call to the Kamer van Koophandel may be a good idea; this [link under review] will take you straight to their website.I wish you the best of luck.CynicExpat Team        -@Cynic

That great, thanks a lot. I am self employed in the UK and would like to continue that under a similar arrangement with the Dutch government if possible. I know it used to be as friends have done so but this was pre-brexit and I thought that may effect this. I will take a look at your links and will make contact with the relevant entities. I also regularly travel between the 2 countries as it is and there's no real difference apart from my passport being stamped.

-@Osti1878

.......and the amount of time one is allowed to stay in the EU.

Cynic

Hi again.It's not quite as simple as it should be.  If you are effectively self-employed, you may want to begin your process on the IND website; this link will take you straight to the relevant section.  A word of warning, don't try this if you only have one customer, IND view these arrangements as you are effectively an employee of the people you are working for and will not give you a visa on this basis.  Lawyers are useful if it is an interpretation or disagreement of/on the law, but it really isn't that hard to do it yourself.Brexit - apart from the potential for getting in the wrong queue at passport control, it hasn't affected me at all and I travel to and from the UK to Holland frequently, If you're going to be trading (I don't) in and out of the EU, then a call to the Kamer van Koophandel may be a good idea; this [link under review] will take you straight to their website.I wish you the best of luck.CynicExpat Team        -@CynicThat great, thanks a lot. I am self employed in the UK and would like to continue that under a similar arrangement with the Dutch government if possible. I know it used to be as friends have done so but this was pre-brexit and I thought that may effect this. I will take a look at your links and will make contact with the relevant entities. I also regularly travel between the 2 countries as it is and there's no real difference apart from my passport being stamped.        -@Osti1878

.......and the amount of time one is allowed to stay in the EU.

-@SimCityAT

I was referring to my experience; I've come nowhere near the 90-day limit since Brexit.  If it did become an issue, I'd apply for Dutch nationality, but our experience to date hasn't required that.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Rotterdam

• Travelling to the Netherlands
    Travelling to the Netherlands

If you're considering moving to the Netherlands, you may want to visit it first and stay short-term to see if ...

• Registration with the Gemeente
    Registration with the Gemeente

The first thing one is supposed to do after he/she arrives in a new country is to get registered with the ...

• Accommodation in Rotterdam
    Accommodation in Rotterdam

Rotterdam is home to the largest shipping port in the world; no doubt you've heard of this big and important ...

• Working in Rotterdam
    Working in Rotterdam

While most other parts of the Netherlands feature centuries-old architecture, Rotterdam looks like a modern ...

• Studying in Amsterdam
    Studying in Amsterdam

If you want to pursue higher education in Amsterdam at a publicly funded research university, then you have ...

• Accommodation in Utrecht
    Accommodation in Utrecht

While most cities in the Randstad are located by or near the coast, Utrecht is an exception. Instead, it's ...

• Visas for the Netherlands
    Visas for the Netherlands

While entering the Netherlands can be simple, it may take some time for approval from the appropriate authorities ...

• Accommodation in the Netherlands
    Accommodation in the Netherlands

Maybe you're passing through the Netherlands for a week or so. Or maybe you're making a permanent move ...

All of Rotterdam's guide articles