Do US retirees living in Vietnam pay taxes in Vietnam on US income?

Just wondering if US citizens retiring in VN with visa exemption have to pay taxes on investment income, or other income or 401K withdrawal? I'm not talking about income made in VN but like US stock investments, US rental income,... and 401K withdrawals.

Appreciate any info

The answer is NO.  Uncle Sam will have first dip on it and since US and VN have treaty on that tax matter, you won't be taxed twice.

Just wondering if US citizens retiring in VN with visa exemption have to pay taxes on investment income, or other income or 401K withdrawal? I'm not talking about income made in VN but like US stock investments, US rental income,... and 401K withdrawals.
Appreciate any info

-@qnbui

The tax question answer is you will just pay USA tax on your worldwide income.

Vietnam Visa Exemption Certificate as writen in immigration law is for visiting not residence. Many think it qualifies someone for everything that a TRC does but thats a misconception. Good luck with your transition to ret.

@qnbui

Yes!  Always!  I remember reading somewhere that it is generally good to be in a state (registered) that has a lower tax rate when one travels abroad.  I need to dig up more information on that.

@yng68bld  @pogiwayne Thank you!