Need good customs agent (despachante)

Hello, all!

Can anyone recommend a customs agent that they personally used successfully?   Could those with bad experiences please let me know too.  I do not need to fall into the same trap. 

I paid for my moving company to do this for me, but they have been so utterly desinterested in doing anything so far that I can not trust them with getting the container through customs without getting everything stuck, enormous extra charges for getting me into the mess, and holding my goods at ransom.  I now have hopefully all the certificates / documents etc that I need, and supposedly the container and ship will be booked soon (that would be a pleasant surprise!).  So I need your answer quickly, PLEASE.

Thank you and all the best!

Armin

I sent a shipping container from England in 2020 then found I couldn't enter Uruguay during the pandemic. Finding an agent on the internet was impossible and someone put me in touch with MRM in Montevideo. That was a complete nightmare. The agent kept saying that nothing could be done until I entered the country but even when I eventually arrived, it took him 4 months to get the container released. I went to Customs some time in October 2021 and poke to two very helpful women who couldn't see a problem and advised getting another agent. There was also a hostile man at Customs who i couldn't understand but I suspect he was angling for a 'tip'. As a result of the visit, I went to migraciones and got a Certificado de Llageda which was a necessary piece of paper. About 3 weeks later, the agent sent an email with the news that the Certificado had been issued. The container was eventually released in January 2022 and incurred import duty of 60% on its cost and transport. There was also a guarantee needed, pending my permanent residency.

@Alexis Mandrake

Thank you Alexis for sharing your experience, which seems to have been a nightmare.

My goods arrived just before Christmas.

Based on the advice of a friend I had an adviser ("asesor") with me as replacing the custom broker ("despachante") of the moving company would have been very difficult.  They had me cornered.

The customs clearance was a horrible experience.  There are some rough necks called " tonelleros" which can and will break anything that your moving company has handled carefully.  One company seems to have the market cornered and they are BAD.

On the positive side is to be mentioned the customs officer.  My packing crew had raised a lot of valid questions in her mind by mislabelling items.  Lucky for me I could talk to her directly and I could get many things straightened out.  Their job is certainly not easy, but the officer at least was as decent as she was intelligent.  So it is my recommendation go yourself for the inspection, preferably with someone that knows what they are doing.

All the best in 2024

My container was eventually released in January 2022 under warranty pending my full cedula. My residency was granted in July that year and my partida arrived in December. However, when I went to DNI, they discovered an error on the partida and couldn't issue the full cedula. It seems that DGREC, the agency responsible for partidas, see no urgency in correcting and reissuing the document so the warranty was renewed for another year. I suggested to the customs agent that he sent his invoice to DGREC as I had no intention of paying for their mistakes. The warranty will expire this month and another charge will be raised.