Menu
Expat.com

Baguio City

Last activity 22 July 2024 by mugteck

mugteck

@mugteck
I know many like flipping the pages, I once did too. But after I downloaded the Kindle app, I was converted, never looked back, no more soft/hard back’s for me. Too much hassel searching for them then the storing...
I Carry a whole library in palm of my hand.
Just need a few minutes of wifi, a few clicks to Purchase/Download and all the reading you need on or offline.
I never bought one, but they have audio book options too, guess for those with bad sight, etc
Anyway if you set on flipping pages, besides national, I have seen quite a few books and collections on Shopee/Lazada, my Wife has a whole book case full from buying online there.
Now they just dust collectors...

-@vehicross100

Thing is I do a lot of my reading doing what I do most here, waiting for my wife.  Some of it is at home with poor wifi, but a large amount gets done waiting in our van or in bus stations while my wife indulges in her full time hobby, SHOPPING.  As mentioned previously I am happy to not shop with her, getting her better deals.

Enzyte Bob

One thing I noticed with Podcast of the so called experts is their huge library of books in the background. I just can't conceive of anyone of them purchasing or reading all of those books.

bigpearl

As said my reading days of paper books seems to be over mugteck, sad you don't have decent internet where you are. How is the internet in Baguio? Once you settle there.

As for waiting while the better half is shopping I mostly stay home and let him go his hardest while I potter here, if not sure about something I get a video call and he shows me the item or choices and what he likes and the prices etc. Seems to work and saves my knees the long walks, and like your wife he haggles for the best price.

Cheers, Steve,

bigpearl

One thing I noticed with Podcast of the so called experts is their huge library of books in the background. I just can't conceive of anyone of them purchasing or reading all of those books.

-@Enzyte Bob

See your point Bob but when you are an avid reader for 30/40/50 years it doesn't take long for them to mount up and a good book/read I never threw out but did box most of them with moth balls over the years. The hardest thing for me when we moved here was deciding which books to keep and what to give away. Wasn't only books we left behind, 60 years of collecting mounts up but in the end I don't miss any of it now as we only wanted to ship 1 container as well as 5/6 Balakbayan boxes.

Mentioned it earlier there were some 300 novels and maybe 100 literary books we sent and they have been sitting here for 5 years unopened. Seems a waste of shipping, we all change I suppose.

Perhaps these podcasters that you see should display their Picaso or Jackson Pollock art works to share with their viewers.

The internet has changed so many things at all levels.

Cheers, Steve.

mugteck

-@Enzyte Bob

I like to trade them with other readers back in Bethlehem, PA.  I know two people who will be very happy I am bringing them 16 John Grisham books which I read since October.  None of the books are in the Bethlehem Public Library.  I keep all my history books, intend to give to the local museum the ones my father gave me about the Philippines 1930 to 1945.

Enzyte Bob

One thing I noticed with Podcast of the so called experts is their huge library of books in the background. I just can't conceive of anyone of them purchasing or reading all of those books.        -@Enzyte Bob

Maybe I should clarify my thoughts somewhat about the above posts. Maybe I should rephase and replace Podcast with panel members.  I'm referring to political hacks, politicians, talking heads and so called experts.

It seems their library of books may differ from from what Expats read, collect or bring with them.

danfinn

-@Enzyte Bob

Lol I have seen that too. I am sure they just add that as a background haha.

Skip Scott

That's IF they are real books, not just an excellent poster....

mugteck

Speaking of real books, remembered earlier this week that I had brought along some additional books 4 years ago which I nevet got to read.  Dug out a John Sanford book from 2018 called Twisted Prey.  I remembet seeing he wrote 27 other books with the word Prey in the title.  Says on the cover a Lucas Davenport novel.  I figured if I liked it I could ship the other 27 bb for future reading.

But first I decided to read Point of Contact, a Tom Clancy novel featuring Jack Ryan Jr.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out most of the story takes place in Singapore, where we are headed in two weeks.  As an aside, we went to see the movie Crazy Rich Asians because we heard the filming in Singapore did the city justice.  We were not disappointed.

Another thing I noticed since we got back to Ilocos Sur is how many people here call my wife Lola.  A few of the very young call me Lolo, but mostly uncle.  When I first heard my wife called Lola some years ago it reminded me of the Kinks' song Lola.  I remembered it was banned from the BBC, not because it was about a transvestite.  It was the line about a bar which served champaigne which tastes just like Coca Cola  C O L A cola.  BBC was not about to allow them to pull such a product placing stunt on their network.

Enzyte Bob

I guess I'm dating myself liking  Issac Asimov & John D. McDonald.

bigpearl

Ah the Kinks and so many other bands from that era, even Billy Joel and others that followed the 60's style early 70's.

I mentioned a band to Ben a few weeks ago called "the Hu" and he said no not for me, said to him no different to all the other bands I have introduced to you like nine inch nails, creed etc.

2 days later he is playing "the Hu" and right onto them now, look them up mugteck, very unique.

Book I seem to have moved on from, read for hours every night for 40 years to put myself to sleep, now when my head hits the pillow it's good night Josephine.

Planning a trip to Baguio when My sis and her Husband visit here the beginning of May, Vigan after that.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl

-@Enzyte Bob

Love Asimov and read most books but honestly never heard of the later. Seems I missed out after a quick search.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn

-@Enzyte Bob

Here, Robert A Heinlein "Stranger in a Strange Land" and James A Michener "The Source". As a kid, JD Salinger "Catcher in the Rye".

bigpearl

Samuel Delaney, so many great writers over the last hundred plus years, even Mary Shelley from 200 years ago.

Cheers, Steve.

mugteck

2 days later he is playing "the Hu" and right onto them now, look them up mugteck, very unique.

-@bigpearl

We always spelled it "the Who"  know them well I used to be a pinball wizzard.

bigpearl

No mugteck the Hu, current, we all here grew up with the who and fantastic, my generation etc. this is a relatively new Mongolian band, google them, hope you like.

Cheers, Steve.

mugteck

-@Enzyte Bob

In elementary school into junior high my idea of reading science fiction was to read Tom Swift Junior books.  My dad had the original Tom Swift books from his youth, but I could not read them, boring.  He did have a series of books called The Army Boys, about US soldiers in WW1 western front and then the occupation aftet the war.  Had all the corny stuff about calling sauerkraut liberty cabbage, calling the enemy the Huns etc.

mugteck

Did notice some good news for senior Filipinos.  Starting in March the Century law has been updated.  It was passed a few years ago giving every native Filipino 100,000 pesos the year they reach the age of 100.  Evidently few made it, so they updated it.  Now when a Filipino hits age 80, he or she gets 10,000 pesos that year.  At age 85 another 10,000 pesos, same with 90 and 95.  And at age 100 still gets 100,000 pesos. Locals are excited.

Another improvement is the 5 % senior discount on food.  Previously it was limited to 260 pesos a month or 65 pesos a week.  Now it is up to 500 pesos a month or 125 pesos a week.  A senior would have to spend 10,000 pesos a month to get the full 500 pesos benefit, but evety little bit helps.

mugteck

"Summertime and the livin is easy"  heard a reggae style version of the Porgy and Bess song as I walked into J&B Bar and Seafood Restaurant in suburban Vigan.  The music continued with more reggae versions of songs I had never heard before.  Reminded me of the smart tv music we got in Baguio.  Next was CCR's  Have You Ever Seen the Rain followed by a female singing Led Zep's Stairway to Heaven.  There were some other Billy Joel takes, it was all good except a female singing Rod Stewart's Do You Think I'm Sexy.  Never liked his version either.  A woman did Take It Easy, but did not change the words, so she was looking for a female lover.  We had just stopped in Vigan and I grabbed a 199 peso book second book by some guy named Bently.  Lee Child (Jack Reacher) gave his first book a good review, all the comments were about his first book.  I mention this because the story concerns a CIA op who takes a year off, keeps busy by playing guitar, one of the first songs he learns is Take It Easy.

But we went for the all you want to eat buffet for 599 pesos each, 500 pesos for seniors.  Plenty of fish, clams, oysters and crabs, but no scallops or lobster.  They had seaweed wrapped sushi and wasabi on request.  Plus they had three different pork dishes, plenty of fruits and veggies plus ice cream cones for dessert.  Finished by 1 PM, did not eat again the rest of the day, did not even wake up hungry the next day.  J&B stands for Juvy and Barry, only started last June.  They had strings of hearts hanging from the ceiling leftover from 2/14 and red table cloths with Santa Claus on them leftover from 12/25/23.  I guess they decided to use the stuff as long as possible.  Be interesting to see them again next year, if they are still in business.

danfinn

Did notice some good news for senior Filipinos.  Starting in March the Century law has been updated.  It was passed a few years ago giving every native Filipino 100,000 pesos the year they reach the age of 100.  Evidently few made it, so they updated it.  Now when a Filipino hits age 80, he or she gets 10,000 pesos that year.  At age 85 another 10,000 pesos, same with 90 and 95.  And at age 100 still gets 100,000 pesos. Locals are excited.             Another improvement is the 5 % senior discount on food.  Previously it was limited to 260 pesos a month or 65 pesos a week.  Now it is up to 500 pesos a month or 125 pesos a week.  A senior would have to spend 10,000 pesos a month to get the full 500 pesos benefit, but evety little bit helps.        -@mugteck

All of which is irrelevant to senior expats who cannot have senior discount cards by threat of penalty. The card is necessary to legally claim the discount on foods or wherever applied. Having said that, it does save me some money anyway because we usually eat out with relatives, some of whom are seniors, and we of course always pay the bill.

Note: I am sure the laws for seniors are intended to help Philippine seniors, not richer foreign expats who pay the bills but what they hey, lol.

mugteck

I do not get any food store discounts, but I get the senior discount at most restaurants and when we travel by bus.  Last trip was 407 pesos Manueva to Baguio, but with the senior discount was 326 pesos.  My PA drivers license gets the job done.

danfinn

I do not get any food store discounts, but I get the senior discount at most restaurants and when we travel by bus.  Last trip was 407 pesos Manueva to Baguio, but with the senior discount was 326 pesos.  My PA drivers license gets the job done.

-@mugteck

Not sure if you are aware but Philippine seniors by law are legally entitled to big discounts, maybe like 20%. Many store owners offer the discount to non-Filipinos as good business. That is OK but those foreigner discounts are not mandatory. However, Filipino seniors must be given the discounts by law. The only time where I heard of problems was, given that the government apparently does have a senior card that can be used for discounts by Filipinos, there have been times when foreigners got one of these cards and got the compulsory discount.  I don't know how, maybe the issuer thought it was OK. But if a foreigner is caught using this card he can be deported amongst other penalties.

mugteck

I do not get any food store discounts, but I get the senior discount at most restaurants and when we travel by bus.  Last trip was 407 pesos Manueva to Baguio, but with the senior discount was 326 pesos.  My PA drivers license gets the job done.         -@mugteck

Not sure if you are aware but Philippine seniors by law are legally entitled to big discounts, maybe like 20%. Many store owners offer the discount to non-Filipinos as good business. That is OK but those foreigner discounts are not mandatory. However, Filipino seniors must be given the discounts by law. The only time where I heard of problems was, given that the government apparently does have a senior card that can be used for discounts by Filipinos, there have been times when foreigners got one of these cards and got the compulsory discount.  I don't know how, maybe the issuer thought it was OK. But if a foreigner is caught using this card he can be deported amongst other penalties.

-@danfinn

True, optional,not all restaurants give me the discount.  One Jeepney driver let us ride for 12 pesos instead of the listed 15 pesos.  I passed up to the driver 30 pesos, but another young rider gave me 5 pesos back before hahding the 25 pesos to the driver.  He smiled at me and said "Senior".  In Baguio if you have the senior card you can see a free movie every day in the mall, but I am only given the 20% discount.

Enzyte Bob

mugtecksaid. . . .True, optional,not all restaurants give me the discount.  One Jeepney driver let us ride for 12 pesos instead of the listed 15 pesos.  I passed up to the driver 30 pesos, but another young rider gave me 5 pesos back before hahding the 25 pesos to the driver.  He smiled at me and said "Senior".  In Baguio if you have the senior card you can see a free movie every day in the mall, but I am only given the 20% discount.

The senior discount may be negated by the Expat surcharge.

mugteck

mugtecksaid. . . .True, optional,not all restaurants give me the discount.  One Jeepney driver let us ride for 12 pesos instead of the listed 15 pesos.  I passed up to the driver 30 pesos, but another young rider gave me 5 pesos back before hahding the 25 pesos to the driver.  He smiled at me and said "Senior".  In Baguio if you have the senior card you can see a free movie every day in the mall, but I am only given the 20% discount.   
The senior discount may be negated by the Expat surcharge.   

-@Enzyte Bob

Which is why often my wife goes shopping without me.

mugteck

I have paid the same price for printed Vigan t-shirts with a horse with a buggy behind, the price is 130 pesos per shirt, 100% cotton, made in the Philippines.  Just saw a news article about a shipment of clothing made in the Philippines being delayed from entering the US.  They are investigating to see if the cotton used in the clothing was made by Muslim slave labor in Red China.  Could help explain the cheap price for my t-shirts.  Perhaps I am supporting slave labor in Red China.  Most I have paid for any t-shirt in the Philippines is 200 pesos, full color.

bigpearl

I don't bother with senior discounts as there are many more needy than me but I do appreciate being shoved to the front of the queue at the bank by the security guard, sometimes the supermarket, respect for living that long? Golly I'm only 64.

We do bargain and haggle with contractors and appliances purchases but that's normal for most and does save plenty of pesos.

Cheers, Steve.

mugteck

I did visit the National Bookstore on the lower ground level but very few novels/thrillers to be found  (if you're a fan of David Baldacci Mugtech you will devour the Michael Connelly novels.) 

-@Lotus Eater

Started reading Michael Connelly, the first book in the Harry Bosch series, The Black Echo.  I like that it involves ex tunnel rats from Vietnam War, well written so far.  My only problem is that it is about LA detectives, I keep getting visuals of Joe Friday.

Lotus Eater

@mugteck

He is one of the most 'addictive' authors I have ever read. I had his latest (I wait for the paperback version to be released) on my trip over to Phil last November and guess  what? I left the goddamned book in the aircraft 1f644.svg

A few weeks ago I purchased the 1970's Harry Orwell (Harry O) 1st season boxset from the States. David Janssen could have slotted in to the role easily. Heck they even shared the same christian name smile.png

Robertcounselor

@mugteck  We are considering retiring in Baguio as well.  Any recommendations on a Condo or apartment? 

mugteck

@mugteck  We are considering retiring in Baguio as well.  Any recommendations on a Condo or apartment? 

-@Robertcounselor

We enjoyed staying in Lower Rock Quarry Barangay,  a short walk to many of the best places to visit in Baguio.  A one bedroom apartment there was 25,000 pesos per month, which included tv , electricity and internet.  It was a good place to get a feel for the downtown.  We bought a place a few miles outside the city, with 15 peso jeepney rides into downtown.  The places we attended had no heating or Air conditioning,  was not required.  The big thing we must add to our house is a hot water heater for the shower.  Good luck.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles