My Experience of Bulgaria Never go to Bulgaria

Oddly Spain, the EU country I've heard most Brits online complaining about having to leave, isn't on that chart.  Also, the source article states the expulsions also included those expelled for commiting crimes.  So the real numbers forced out purely due to not completing their residency paperwork after Brexit will be lower.

@janemulberry

Spain's numbers weren't available or release.

In Austria, I know of a few cases that people are fighting to stay in the country because they haven't got there correct resistance card.

If someone (British) had committed a crime in Austria, news would have got around. So we are pretty sure these numbers (10) were down to not having the correct documents.

@janemulberry

Yes I heard the same I even saw them on Brit TV wailing, well no one told meee, and shouldn't the government let us know. They did I new a full year before it happened, It's just some people need someone to hold their hands, and can't figure things out for themselves. And if that chart is anything to do with the EU or any other government take it with a big pinch of salt.

@SimCityAT

"Pretty sure" well that's OK then. Sounds like the information the government would use and then call them the gospel truth, hoping no one questions it.

@Mutley

I'm always sceptical about Government statistics  too, but "Pretty sure" is probably good enough in this case. Ten Brits being expelled from Austria for not having done the correct paperwork over a two year period is hardly excessive numbers. I think @SimCityAT is correct that it would have made the news if there were more or if they were expelled for commiting deportable crimes.

Much as some would like it (those wailing on the TV you mentioned!), Brits don't have any special right to live wherever they choose.

Much as some would like it (those wailing on the TV you mentioned!), Brits don't have any special right to live wherever they choose.

-@janemulberry

Unless they're on a Rubber Boat Cruise, with no documents and wanting to exercise their Yuman Right to enhanced economic prospects, of course.

It's funny how Austria (at least for the moment) has room for 150,000 assorted "refugees and asylum seekers"  but only 11,000 people seeking refuge from Brexit - that's probably fewer than are in Bulgaria, if we accept the figure adjusted for those who have "forgotten" to register their presence here...1f60e.svg

@gwynj Fantastic reply!!!!! Well done for taking the time 👍👍👍

This is an older thread, but it seems to still get a bit of attention, but the controversial title helps. :-)

I've been here 2 months shy of 7 years, and I'm a Permanent Resident with a 10-year card that's (almost automatically) renewable indefinitely.

Sooooo...

My Experience of Bulgaria: Never LEAVE Bulgaria! :-)

I love this country more than my own (UK), and we have a great life here. I still have residence permits for Cyprus and Spain, but they're of almost zero practical value as I now spend most of my time here.

Bulgaria is much more expensive than it used to be, but EVERY country has experienced significant inflation over the last years. More expensive is NOT the same as expensive. Bulgaria is still the poorest EU country, with one of the lowest minimum wage, one of the lowest income tax rates. And the lowest cost of living, especially in relation to property (property tax, HOA, utility bills).

Please ignore the HATERS that post that Bulgarian properties are worthless junk, and that you can buy property cheaper elsewhere in the EU, and live better there on your income/pension. If you strictly compare like-for-like, it's simply not true.

Even if you're currently a prime physical specimen who hasn't visited your GP for 10 years, the health facilities in Bulgaria are simply (overall) OUTSTANDING!

There are multiple ways to get enrolled in the social security system and make your contributions to NHIF and the public health system. Either as an employee or self-employed, as a pensioner (with an S1), or (as we do) unemployed. The cheapest, unemployed, is a mere 20 euros per month. All get you free or nearly-free access to a GP and all health services at your local public hospital. And an EHIC for when you travel elsewhere in the EU.

In Bulgaria, you also have access to private care. Unlike all (or most) other EU countries, the private hospitals here are not separate (i.e. full price), but affiliated with the public system, and get reimbursed by it for your treatment. Hence, you can get high-quality, VIP treatment, immediately you want it. All for a minimal (private hospital) surcharge.

Bulgaria also has plenty of dentists, and it's easy to find one for your twice-annual check-ups. This too is very inexpensive.

If you have to (or want to) have private insurance, this too is cheaper than elsewhere in the EU. And even cheaper (for obvious reasons), if you're making your regular NHIF contributions, as above.

So far, I've barely NEEDED anything. But I enjoy the luxury of having a great GP (better than my UK ones) who I can see pretty much when I want (the wait time at his surgery is minimal), and who spends as much time as you need (not the 10 minutes appointment time that's standard in the UK). If he wants to check on something he writes a referral, points me at the correct place, and, without exception, it has been dealt with THAT SAME DAY (usually within 30 minutes).

I have a great dentist too (better than my UK ones) who routinely spends whatever time is needed, and doesn't delegate ANYTHING to a lowly hygienist.

Even if you don't NEED anything, the above factors make it easy and inexpensive for you to do sensible annual self-checks (consults/scans/blood tests).

In any case, prevention is always better than cure, and Bulgaria's good for your health. The low cost of living and the plentiful local markets (and garden produce) mean you can eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, nice local cheeses, fresh fish and good quality meats. The low population and abundant green spaces mean you will always have the chance for some fresh air and daily (dog) walking.