Cost of living in Bulgaria in 2024

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience regarding the cost of living in Bulgaria, and if possible, in the specific region or city where you live. This will help members who are planning to relocate in Bulgaria.

Here are some points to guide you; the idea is to provide average prices for each category:

When it comes to housing, what is the cost of renting or buying an apartment or house in Bulgaria?

How much do you pay for public transports such as buses, subways, trains, trams, or taxis?

Could you share the average monthly cost of your grocery shopping?

What is the cost of health insurance? How much does a medical consultation cost in Bulgaria?

What are the tuition fees for children?

What are the average monthly costs for electricity, gas, water, internet, and phone plans?

For leisure activities, how much does it cost monthly?

If there are other expenses you find relevant, please feel free to share them!

Thank you for your contribution.

Expat.com Team

I live in Varna, so prices tend to be higher here, along with them other main cities.

In general, we have seen prices steady, since the significant rises in 2022 and early 2023.

However many things remain high, especially rents, as there is a shortage of property for both rental and purchase in Varna, due to the high numbers of economic migrants coming here and the steady stream of Bulgarians moving from small towns and villages to cities.

Property rental in Varna is not always consistent.  It is possible to find similar apartments with varying prices!...

Studio apartment (one room, seperate bathroom and kitchen area).         

350 Leva (€180) to 660 Leva (€338).

1 bedroom apartment (two rooms + kitchen and bathroom)   

540 Leva (€277) to 680 Leva  (€349)

2 bedroom apartment (three rooms + kitchen and bathroom).   

730 Leva (€374) to 1100 Leva (€564)

3 bedroom apartment (four rooms + kitchen and bathroom, some have two bathrooms)

875 Leva (€449) to 1460 Leva (€749).

Maisonettes - these are varied sizes from just two bedrooms to four bedrooms - often classed as penthouses and are usually situated on top floors of apartment blocks.

660 Leva (€338) to 3120 Leva (€1600).

The above rental prices exclude the Greek Quarter area of Varna, as prices in this area, are often unrealistic and, arguably, poor value for money.

Property purchase prices.  Prices over Bulgaria in general, have risen 30% in just 12 months. Here are prices in euros...

Studio apartment

€35,000 to €70,000 depending on area.

1 bedroom apartment

€62,000 to €265,000.  I have no idea why some sellers are trying to sell one bedroom apartments at over €150,000!  It's insane, but there are plenty above this price!

2 bedroom apartment

€100,000 to €379,000!   Again, some insanely high prices!

3 bedroom apartment

€113,000 to €500,000 (I saw one apartment being advertised at €800,000 with a view over the Sea Garden.  Again insane prices.

4 or bedroom apartment

€107,000 to €999,000. These properties can be between 4 and 7 bedrooms and are usually penthouses - some encompassing a complete floor.

Maisonettes, (usually between three and five bedrooms)

€105,000 to €787,000

Bear in mind that the lowest prices often reflect properties in poor condition, or unfinished interiors, or on high floors, with no lift (elevator).

Now, aside property, here are prices for cost of of living...

We (family of four and four cats) own a three bedroom maisonette, with two full sized bathrooms. We have two large hot water tanks and a small tank under the kitchen sink.  We have five air-conditioning units (which also heat)  a washing machine and a tumble dryer three TVs an oven and hob.

Average utility bills per month...

Water                 60 Leva (€31)

Electricity         195 Leva ((€100)

We do not have gas.

Municipal tax    20 Leva (€10.25)

Block maintenance 17 Leva (€8.72)

Internet - we're paying 110 Leva (€56.41) per month, for a package of TV, high speed Internet, a mobile phone and an extra TV set.

I also pay for two mobile phones (both unlimited) and a seperate TV and Internet package (for a second property) which is 115 Leva (€59) per month.

Food, cleaning products and personal hygiene...

We spend around 1,200 Leva per month (€615)

Eating out...

It really depends what you have and where you go, but for a three course meal for two, with wine / beer and water, it ranges from 90 Leva to 200 Leva (€46 to €102)

Bulgarian beer in a bar 4 Leva (€2.05)

Imported beer in a bar 6 Leva (€3.07)

Espresso in a café         3 Leva (€1. 54)

Cappuccino in a café.   4 Leva (€2.05)

Pharmacy...

In Bulgaria you must pay for all medications, whether prescription ordered over the counter.  However, if you are having to take a medication regularly, it is possible to get the price reduced.  It will depend on each medication, as to how much is taken off. This can be a significant saving over the normality price!  You need to see your GP, to arrange the discount, which will be forwarded electronically, with your id number, to the prescriptions public system, that all pharmacies have access to.   One of the medications I take, would normally cost 140 Leva per month, but after discount, i pay only 35 Leva.

Transport...

Bus cash fare 1 hour of travel 2 Leva (€1.02)

Bus card fare 1 hour of travel 1 Leva (€0.48)

Taxi starting fare 2.10 Leva (€1.08)

Average 15 minutes ride around 8 Leva (€4.10) including tip.

Ride from center to airport around 18 Leva (€9.23) including tip.

Rail...

Varna to Sofia 1st class single ticket around 36 Leva (€18.46). Simply double the single fare for return fares.

Other costs

Electricals...

Many electricals are cheaper than Western Europe, with favourable prices for products such as TVs, laptops, white goods, vacuum cleaners, espresso makers and more.  It has to be said, you are not forced to buy Chinese products, as in Bulgaria, many European and Turkish made products are available and arw, therfore, better quality and last longer!

We have in our household, TVs from Korea, oven from Slovakia, Hob from Germany, water heaters from Bulgaria (actually made in Varna!) Air conditioners made in Thailand, Laptops made in Japan, Washing machine made in Turkey, Espresso machine made in Italy, Toaster, made in the UK. 

Furniture is generally cheaper than Western Europe and ranges in price, depending on quality and where it's made.  Most furniture is either produced in Bulgaria, or Turkey,

Clothing prices range from cheap to very expensive, depending on quality, design and fashion label.  There are plenty of Italian clothing shops.  For a good price and decent quality, go for Turkish made clothing. Bulgaria also makes a significant amount of its own clothing and although not the cheapest, it's usually very good quality and the prices are reasonable - T shirts for around 10 Leva (€5.13).

Buying online from other countries...

It should be mentioned, that buying online within Bulgaria or the EU, should not incur any Customs charges.  However, if you buy from a non EU, third country, you will most definitely incur Customs charges, which can, in some cases, be high.

Hope this helps!  Any questions, just shout 😊

Ian

1f62e.svg I'm impressed @ Ian !

Thank you so much for your detailed post.

Your input will definitely benefit members looking for precise info about cost of living (perhaps before moving).

All the best

Bhavna

I've just paid a few bills and they seem significantly higher than last year.

Our social security security contributions (as "unemployed") rose from 28 lv to 37 lv per month. For 2 of us, that's about 450 euros for the year. This entitles us to free (or nearly free) medical treatment in the public health system, or subsidized care in most private hospitals. It also gets us EHICs for use elsewhere in the EU.

Annual property tax for our old apartment in Plovdiv is 130 lv. We've finally (after 6 years) started moving into our new one, and the tax for this one is 230 lv.

Maintenance for our Bansko holiday studio is 400 lv for 2024.

Maintenance for the old Plovdiv flat is 12 lv/month, the new one is 25 lv/month.

The most recent water bill was 40 lv.

The most recent electricity bill was 95 lv (cold weather, and we had an AC unit running pretty much 24/7).

My Vivacom bill was just under 100 lv for 2 x fibre home internet and 2 x mobile phone contracts.

We spend a lot on groceries at Lidl and Kaufland, I'd estimate around 600-800 euros per month (for two). This includes lots of fresh fruit, veg and fish, and we eat very well. We mostly eat meals at home so we do not have large additional costs for eating out. I guzzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a bottle or two per month) so I try to buy it when there is a special offer (under 20 lv). But good stuff is easily 25-30lv now, up a lot from a couple of years ago. However, my other staples (coarse cut whole grain oats and canned sardines) are still less than 2 lv each (per 500g pack / small can).

My swim card at the local pool is 56 lv for 8 entries, and my neighbourhood gym is 5 lv per entry. I cycle and walk around Youth Hill and the Regatta/Maritsa River which is free. Yay!

I haven't taken a taxi into the centre for a couple of years. Buses are still a massive bargain at only 1 lv per ride. We often drive in and park which is 2 lv/hr via SMS. Plovdiv has a great biking/walking lane network so I often use my bike or escooter as an alternative to driving and hunting for parking.

We didn't go to the cinema for several years, our entertainment budget is Netflix and Amazon.

I regularly go to the market cafe (it's cheap, it has fresh pomegranate juice, and it's next to the Regatta/swimming pool). The fresh juice is 7 lv a bottle, I get through 7 or 8 bottles a month in season. Coffee is still 2 lv here, but many city centre cafes are now 4 or even 5 lv. We have an automatic coffee machine at home, so mostly coffee is at home... but we like to go to the town centre for a change of scene... and we'll meet friends for coffee (cheaper than lunch/dinner) a couple of times per week.

We eat out with friends once or twice a month, and we go out for lunch a couple of times per month. Yesterday we had booze and pizza at the popular Casa de Cuba. It was 100 lv for 5. The last dinner in Kapana we had was 150 lv for 4. We had Sunday lunch in the Rhodopes recently (a very popular traditional place near Bachkovo Monastery), and it was 60 lv for 3. Our neighbourhood spot for lunch is about 35 lv (pizza + Greek salad + beer + water + coffee) for us two.

We both fly a couple of times per year. Typically, Wizzair/Ryanair to Alicante or Larnaca or London. I usually book ahead and try to get our trips for less than 150 euros. Limo service (TrueDrivers, I recommend them) Plovdiv to Sofia airport is now 75 euros. Usually for short trips (2 weeks or less) I drive to Sofia and park at the airport Ibis, which might be 30 euros or so.

For comparison, I looked up the bills for our apartment in Cyprus. Electric was 324 euros! The apartment maintenance was 205 euros for the last quarter. Water was 105 euros for 4 months. Internet 44 euros.

As an expat, I find living in Bulgaria financially very accessible, and we're fortunate to enjoy a high standard of living. However, for Bulgarians (especially the retired) their experience is likely very different. This Novinite article says that "64% of Bulgarians Struggle to Cover Basic Needs". It notes that a single person needs a "net income" of 726 euros. For comparison the current national minimum wage (gross) is about 500 euros per month. As you can see, we spend more than that just on our groceries.

https://www.novinite.com/articles/22390 … asic+Needs

fantastic posts, thank you both.

Can someone do a post like that for Burgas and/or the surrounding area?

most importantly rent (for one bedroom), cost to buy a similar, cost of utilities: water, electricity, other

cost of groceries (I assume those are more or less universal across BG).

How much is it to insure a car (let's take mid priced car, does it matter on make or engine size? )

How long can I drive a vehicle in BG, that is  registered in another EU country, is it better to insure and register in BG?

how much is gasoline/L?

how much is health insurance?    @gwynj mentioned social security contribution, is this mandatory, is it based on income, does it kick in at certain age (I'm 55), is it essentially treated as health insurance as @gwynj suggested.

I read somewhere that BG is joining schengen soon, how will that affect prices in general, but most importantly that of properties. It sounds like property prices are at record highs in BS, is there a history of them coming down in price? In Germany prices of properties have been falling steadily for about a yr now, I wonder if there is possibility of a correction in BG (i'm interested in Burgas or somewhere close to it).

Also, will that force BG to change their tax ranges on income from the 10% to something else (I think this is the main reason why I think of moving to BG)?

@adardom

Social security works as elsewhere in the EU, you make compulsory contributions as an employee or as self-employed. This contributes to the public health system, pension, unemployment/sickness benefits and so on. You can, potentially, transfer contributions from another country, but I'm not sure it's advisable (as Bulgaria benefits are typically lower than elsewhere).

"Economically inactive" expats can register as "unemployed", but it's not compulsory. This is the lowest contribution level, and is only for health system, not other benefits. As you're an EU citizen you'd have no problem registering in the system and making these contributions if you wished to.

My recent municipal tax on the car was 200 lv for the year, but I think it's way too high (I think my car has been misclassified on its emissions when I imported it, instead of being Euro 5). The vignette (a form of road tax) is about 100 lv. Legal liability insurance was about 350 lv. Inspection is about 25 lv (I think). I paid about 100 lv for my last service (+ filters and oil purchased separately online for about 150 lv).

For you, specifically, your home country is not very far away. So you could, potentially, keep going back every year for inspection there and keep your current plates/registration. It depends on how much time you'd spend here vs. there. If you relocate indefinitely, and exclusively (or mostly), to Bulgaria then it might be easier (and legally appropriate) to get your car re-registered here, and exchange your driving license. In the short-term, it's not something to worry about, as long as you keep everything current (inspection, insurance, tax, vignette).

Bulgaria is shortly expected to join both Schengen and the Eurozone, I very much doubt these events will cause prices to go down! But that's just an opinion. If you want to live here, and you have the cash to buy, then waiting on the off-chance for a significant correction seems a risky strategy. The risk calculation is rather different if you want to buy with a big mortgage.

Living costs for 5th Jan till 5th February

This includes

House tax 350lv. (540 internal sqm

Repairs/tools 110lv

LPG

Petrol.. more than usual due to many trips to Sofia 50km each way  going out meals and coffee visits 250lv

Also bare in mind that I have half a small upright freezer half full of various meat... Start from scratch with everything as we always take home cans spices etc...

meat.. cheese and veg/ fruit all go to a Roma lady who searches the bins for food  so that keeps her out of the bins for a few days ...

Cost of living is a difficult thing to share because it's very subjective

It does not include electricity as the bill not arrived yet but expecting around 400lv

For those wondering about accident care I just broke my collar bone skiing and it cost me 800lv for ambulance.. emergency care .. ongoing treatment for 6 days .  Includes shoulder brace .. x-rays.. 6 days of thrombosis injection for blood clots ...  Medication at pharmacy cost 11.76lv

Not bad when you consider that's the price of  a private consultation in UK ... Forget NHS!  It ain't gonna happen..

For those wondering about accident care I just broke my collar bone skiing and it cost me 800lv for ambulance.. emergency care .. ongoing treatment for 6 days .  Includes shoulder brace .. x-rays.. 6 days of thrombosis injection for blood clots ...  Medication at pharmacy cost 11.76lv
Not bad when you consider that's the price of  a private consultation in UK ... Forget NHS!  It ain't gonna happen..

-@philip Mckay

Oh no! This trip has been a lot more eventful than you wanted! I hope you make a quick recovery!

@janemulberry

Yes it's been a very bad start to 2024 ... But anyway got the missus back from Philippines 🙂.   Next week I'll start some mild excersice.. but each day now I get better .. can tie my own laces today and managed to shut the car door as it's my left side broken .... Small things .. but my wife's had to do everything for me as the pain is severe and if you over stretch omg !  Anyway just taken Michelle skiing for a few hours .  I'll relax with a coffee at home and wait to be called ..

@gwynj

Fantastic post- thanks for those financial details. I am planning our budget now  since my wife and I are arriving soon.

Do you have Wise card? And  if you do- do you like it?

I am thinking to get one. At this point  we will try to avoid having bank accounts in Bulgaria. Maybe in the future.

@philip Mckay

Just to clarify, was that total in lev? 🙂

@TonyFF

Yes, I have a Wise account and Wise debit card. I'm very happy to recommend them.

@grumpyoldbird

Yes total Lev was 1818.74

Just waiting for the electric bill estimated to be 400lev ISH!

This month will be much cheaper so I'll be posting all 3 months that we are here ..

It will include any taxes and services that have to be paid on a recurring basis .... Not to many of those

Eg.

House tax

Cot

Internet.

@gwynj

One more question. I am considering  to stay 6-8 month in Plovdiv. What is the best  heated  indoor swimming  pool there?

Is there one that is 50 meters?

Thanks again

@TonyFF

Plovdiv's a great option.

There's a very popular outdoor pool for the (long) summer months. I think that's called Neptune.

The 25m pool (VSI) next to the Agricultural University is very nice and has long opening hours. I've been there many times.

I usually go to the 25m pool next to the Regatta/Market. It has restricted lane swim hours (12-14h) but it's close to home, rather than driving across town. The pool (and the whole building) is kinda old school... but they are currently building a fancy international competition (50m) pool, although it won't be ready this year.

This part of Plovdiv (district of Hristo Smirnenski) is my preferred part of Plovdiv because of access to the Regatta and Maritsa River and the two big hills (Youth Hill and Bunardzhika/Monument Hill). The Regatta lake is a 5km loop, great for walks/runs/biking, and the swimming pool and tennis courts are next to it. This is all connected to the Plovdiv bike/walk lanes.

@gwynj

good info- appreciate it

Here are some fun comparison facts: my neighborhood  outdoor heated college pool  costs $2/swim ( open all year)

The college state of the art  gym prices are  :  a day pass  is $ 5  ;  10 day pass is $30.

( Of course if you want to be ripped off- there are plenty of gyms that are overprices and they will gladly take your money)

Prices have really gone up in Bulgaria!

For extra comparison, a swim at the local council run indoor heated public pool, the only place to swim in our UK town, costs GBP5.35 per swim!

@janemulberry

That is 3 times more than my  pool !!!!

So Bulgaria is a deal then?:)

LOL! As the nearest public swimming pool to my village house is an hour's drive away, I doubt paying to go swimming will be part of my budget there. Maybe braving the blue-green algae (due to fertiliser run-off) in the nearby small lake?

You have a bargain there where you are, for sure!

Vignettes went down and the pound is staying up. I do love Bulgaria so glad I made the move.

Yes, to all British people here- you have a deal in Bulgaria!!!!

For US expat  it is a deal as well considering the nice  US  interest rates for saving accounts:)

@philip Mckay

Sorry to be a pain honey  but a 400 lev electricity bill sounds quite a lot for a month. Is that normal for you?

@grumpyoldbird

Well this trip has been very tough on us ... And one of the immediate problems was the main room LPG failed ... This was the main area to dry clothes and obviously the biggest room in the apartment.... Years before I had designed the house heating to include electric underfloor heating in all rooms... In those days kosladoi nuclear power plant was pumping out full power and Bulgaria was a exporter of electric ... Electric was cheap 🙂

Now kosladoi had to shut down either one or more units due to EU safety concerns.. 

Electric has gone up in price... As my LPG system has suffered a major loss I had to fire up my underfloor heating again... It runs 24/7 although I had found that turning off at night did not have a major impact on temps in the apartment during day and evening...  I have had 800 LV bill last year ..

Anyway I have had 2 inverter Aircon units fitted and they are very good and due to there efficient and small unit usage only 1.7 KW per HR  for both..

So a lot of the 400 LV comes from having to use the underfloor which is now turned off

Another plus with the Aircon units is that my LPG gas usage is has been reduced by 2 thirds...   

So until that bill lands I can only imagine around 400 based on previous bills

Bulgaria has been quite mild this winter but up here in the mountains night time can get pretty cold max IV seen was -15 and many times -11..  better now though only getting up to -4 now 🙂.   But snow is coming this next week so temps will drop low again ...  It's pretty dynamic weather up in the mountains

@philip Mckay

Thank you 😊

Just got my electric bill 328.06 LV

So end result for January living costs was

2146lv.  So at today's BG rate

£943

It will be a lot cheaper next month