Menu
Expat.com

Wanted a Handy Man who speaks english

Last activity 15 December 2023 by Kath948381

kath9483

I'm currently living on my own in a village in the Pomorie municipality. Husband is in the UK looking after his elderly mum and he cannot leave her as her health is getting worse.  So I need someone who can install curtain rails , plaster bits and bobs inside and out because I've had double glazing installed. Someone who can check my chimneys and clear leaves from the gutters , tile my sink and lay lino in my kitchen.  Amongst other things . Is there anyone out there who could undertake this work for me?

grumpyoldbird

@kath9483

Best bet is probably to check if there's a local FB group, or forum. Usually a search on something like Brits in Pomorie, would bring something up, or Life in Pomorie, Expats in Pomorie. You should be able to find something and any recommendations would be local to you. Good luck.

kath9483

Thank you grumpy but at the moment my internet is down but I'll do that as soon as it's up and going again.

grumpyoldbird

@kath9483

Oh I know the feeling. My satellite internet isn't coping well with all the rain here, so I'm reliant on my mobile data at the moment. 🙄

kath9483

Same here Grumpy

Ceejay1

Hiya my son has a gardening round and he does maintenance round Pomorie he lives in Burgas and he is English and speaks perfect Bulgarian.

Ceejay1

@kath9483

Replied to your post

kath9483

Thanks for your reply Ceejay1 do you know if he'd be interested in doing these works for me?

Ceejay1

Yeah he is if you send me your phone no he will ring you

kath9483

I've sent it to you well at least I think I have but I'm much too old to understand tech.

kath9483

Mind you the first tree numbers maybe the code for the UK.  I'm a lot better with messages.

kaththomas700

Well my Bulgarian phone isn't working so I'm taking it on the village bus back to the shop in Pomorie this afternoon so please be aware Ceejay1 I've hopefully sent you my English phone number.

Kath948381

Well I've had two replies to my post but the one who first replied and lives in Burgas has work ongoing I think and hasn't been in touch to even tell me if it's going to be worth his while to come to the village and look at what's required and give me a price for the works and in the meantime I told the other person who replied that I was waiting for the first person to visit. Admittedly some of the works are relatively quick and cheap to do but other jobs include getting my basement kitchen floor either linoleumed and shirting boards or ditto with tiles. The works required are beyond my scope as an old biddie but I do want them done so I can have a cosy winter. Maybe I should pay a visit to the village Mayor to see if he knows anyone.

Kath948381

Sorry , correction the first person to reply has been in touch but not for a while.

philip Mckay

@Kath948381

What is linolemed ,?  Is that lino ?

So is your basement suffering damp or water leakage ?

Kath948381

Yes sorry lino, no damp or water leakage thankfully but I had the floor done by an English " master builder " and I don't think it's level also once the floor is done I'll be able to buy some free standing units  get rid of the old Bulgarian I think school desks and make it a clean welcoming area of the house, oh and the typical sink needs to be tiled.

Kath948381

I've also had the doors and windows replaced and the areas around the new ones need to be sorted, a couple of floor boards need replacing upstairs , curtain rails fitted, gutters outside cleaned out maybe and a few other jobs. Some of these jobs could be done by my husband but he's an only child in the UK looking after his elderly mother so I'm here alone.

philip Mckay

Ok I was wondering if you had a bigger problem that needed corking (water sealing)  I know that may older Bulgarian houses have a half in ground basement that usually houses there front room with small windows just above ground level to give light..  there supposed to be very effective against winter cold .. good luck with your search for a handyman  hope you find one soon.. I don't know if Bulgaria have a site like we have in uk  for tradesmen.. I'll ask my Bulgarian friend .. I think it's called check a trade here

philip Mckay

I'm in UK still by the way . Visa appointment on Monday

Kath948381

Best of luck then

an3895509

@Kath948381 I got a friend who lives in Bulgaria I have bought two houses of him he is an Andy one and he's a builder I wonder if you want me to get in touch with him for you he does live in Bulgaria I am bought two houses of him

an3895509

@kath9483 and I am English myself I live in England he's Bulgarian but you can speak English I am wondering if you want me to get in touch with him for you he's a builder and he's bit of an Andy man if you want I will get in touch with him for you a Neil coming out you he's a nice block and I bought two houses off him it's up to you

Kath948381

Thank you but I've got someone coming to give me prices on the works I want doing.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles