How to make a consumer complaint in Alicante and Andalucia

Hi Spats Members,

I would appreciate your expert advice and guidance.  I recently had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a company, and I must say it was an absolute nightmare from the start to now, and it has not finished. I purchased several pieces of furniture from them, lured in by what seemed like reasonable prices, only to discover that the low cost came at a much higher price in terms of quality and customer service.

First and foremost, the products I received could have been better. The furniture looked appealing on the website, but upon arrival, it was evident that the materials used were cheap and flimsy.

The mattress didn't inflate properly. Both ends of the mattress were 6 cm short of the original specification described on their website. After notifying  Customer Support, they kept asking me to provide me with different requests and photos with a measure. The images offered different angles of the issue. They do not even notice when I give the product code, model, and pictures of the delivered faulty product. They have sent the wrong model rather than the 26 Cm thick AALBORG 150 and the DreamLand Italia. It has already been over a month, and the mattress has not been replaced.

Now, my next step is to report them to the Spanish Consumer. Authorities: The company's head office is in Malaga, but I live in Orihuela Costa. I've found lots of information about Madrid.

Your input would be most appreciated.

Regards

Eduardo Piriz

@Eduardopiriz

I'm not 100% sure that your next step is some kind of consumer body complaint. I think you could do more with the supplier first.

Was this an internet/online purchase? If so, most of these companies have some kind of satisfaction / money-back guarantee. If so, what are the terms, and what do you have to do to avail yourself of it?

Separately, if you're not happy with your customer support, I'd advise calling them again. I'd also suggest you send them a written complaint, itemizing each of your purchased items, what is wrong with them, and what you want done about it (replacement, money back). And documenting your interactions with their customer support, and what the outcome was (i.e. no action?).

You also have different types of complaints. Everything looks good in their photos... and, yes, sometimes it looks cheap and flimsy when it's in your living room. This is not really actionable unless they have a money-back guarantee... unless it's so flimsy that it's not fit for purpose.

Wrong item, or item that doesn't match the specifications, should be a much more straightforward discussion.

You can also look at TrustPilot, perhaps you can leave a stroppy review there? Probably won't do any good, but might make you feel better. :-)

Here's a Malaga link that might be helpful:

https://www.myguidemalaga.com/consumer-protection

If your order was with Atrapa Muebles, then you can look at their TrustPilot score... which might explain your experience. Come back, JYSK and IKEA, all is forgiven. :-) Although, actually... the TrustPilot scores for JYSK and IKEA are worse than Atrapa! (Personally, we've put JYSK + IKEA in multiple apartments and we've found them perfectly fine.)

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/atrapamuebles.com

If it was Atrapa Muebles, they DO have a money-back guarantee, but valid for 14 days. But if you want to return something and get a refund, then you have to ask for that pretty clearly within the stated period. If you expressed more free-floating dissatisfaction... and then kinda forgot about it for more than a month... it sounds like it's gonna be hard to demand action now.

https://www.atrapamuebles.com/content/11-devoluciones

As to the missing 6 cm... size isn't everything. :-) If you're referring to a foam (rolled) mattress and the difference between stated thickness and actual thickness... I think this is very common to find some sort of shortfall, and I doubt they guarantee the official number.

Thank you so much for the valuable information.  I have gone through all the steps you highlighted in your email, and I am still waiting for the replacement of my mattress. I was reaching out to the Expats group to get a suggestion for my next step.

I will reach out to the link in Malaga.

Again, thank you so much.

Eduardo

Happy New Year to all expats, and good blessings for 2024!

If I may use a great quote from the greatest football player,  “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.”

– Pele

I just wanted to let you know that I reached out to the community to find a solution to my case with ATRAPA; the result is that the furniture company has been refunded for the faulty mattress after 3 months of her persistence.

Never give Up.

Cheers

Eduardo

@Eduardopiriz

Congratulations!