Ruin building laws and regulations

Hello everyone.

My wife and I are moving to Tavira next year and are considering buying land with a ruin on it that has certified planing permission.

I'm looking for advice on the laws and regulations when building or renovating a ruin.

Can the ruin be completely destroyed and a new house built instead? Or must part/all of the ruin be incorporated into the new house?

We are also looking for a good Architect who has experience working with ruin projects.

Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated! 1f60a.svg

Thanks.

I would consult with a real estate lawyer  I were you!

Hello everyone. My wife and I are moving to Tavira next year and are considering buying land with a ruin on it that has certified planing permission. I'm looking for advice on the laws and regulations when building or renovating a ruin. Can the ruin be completely destroyed and a new house built instead? Or must part/all of the ruin be incorporated into the new house?We are also looking for a good Architect who has experience working with ruin projects. Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated! 1f60a.svgThanks.         -@Vinty

Please expand  on  what "certified planing permission" means?    Does the "ruin" have an article number and listing on the "land registry"? Does the listing include habitation and area of habitation?  Usually the habitation is one listing and the garden a different listing/classification of "Rustic".    Basically It needs to be classed as "habitation" for it to be lived in, (an dispensation is available if built before a certain date) if the listing has details about the facard and construction then that is what the "habitation" should be, any deviation should be discussed and agreed with the council beforehand as they may not grant permission and hence the owner may be liable to demolish.  Usually if the foot print is the same and resultant front is similar, window and door  size and placement the similar then internal layout is ignored.  Different councils/officers/areas do things differently so a local lawyer is often a better idea then a large national legal company, just as going and talking to local estate agent/ lawyer/council etc. in person can get results where as exchange of emails can end up down rabbit holes  (think that's the English expression).  Getting changes of classification from "Rustic" to "habitation" CAN be extremely onerous and no guarantee of success.   Good Luck.

@cpiette

Great, will do. thanks 

@Strontium

thank you so much for your reply. This is very helpful! 1f44d.svg

Hi @Vinty,

Reconstruction work is normally permitted on a building or ruin that already exists on the land. Construction, alteration or even extension of the property is permitted up to a maximum of 20 % of the floor area of existing and legal buildings. The percentage varies depending on the municipality where the land is registered. But you should get this information from the Tavira town hall.

https://www.imovirtual.com/noticias/imo … ra-urbano/

(...)

Thanks JohnnyPT 1f44d.svg