Menu
Expat.com

Applying for SRRV

Last activity 12 January 2024 by bigstar1208

TitoDan

How do I apply for SRRV?  I was in the US Navy twice:  From 1958, just out of High School, to 21st birthday in Sep. 1960, then recalled for 11 months for the  Berlin Crisis in June 1961.  I have discharge papers for both stints.  Will this qualify me for a SRRV?

Thanks for any advice/comments!   DM, age 84.

Hwydaddy

Hi TitoDan,

It depends which SRV you qualify for I would suggest going to the official website from there you  can review the options that are available for you.  You can also call or email them , good luck Kuya 👍

emvaningen

@TitoDan

Hello,

My wife has assisted, without charge, many veterans and former military with getting their visas.

I would call her an expert. She is mentioned often on this site.

I suggest that you email MaryRose. ****

Moderated by Cheryl 9 months ago
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Cheryl

Hello emvaningen,

Thank you for taking the time to reply here but as you already know, no contact details should be shared on the forum.

Kindly use the private messaging system.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

emvaningen

I apologise  Cheryl.

Old man pressing the wrong button.

eddieclmax

If you go to: pra.gov.phYou will see different srrv info. Retired military qualify for ,srrv expanded courtesy, 50 years old and above.,monthly pension of $1000.00, and $1,500.00 visa deposit. Eddieclmax

Moon Dog

You need your DD214, not your discharge papers. If you don't have a copy the VA will send you some copies free of charge. I got some extras that way and they have a raised seal. A good copy will work so you won't have to give up the original if you have it since they will keep it.

bigstar1208

@Moon Dog

I have a DD214 with raised seal from.the National Archives.l understand or has to be apostilled.

That should be done in the US and is good for a year if I have to use it with the PRA for SSRV.

Does the SSA in Manila provide benefits letters regarding Social security?

Thanks for your assistance.

smithta63

You can get your benefit letter on SS website. 

bigstar1208

Thanks

Just wondering who has to apostile it if that is required.

eddieclmax

I don't think the DD 214, needs to be apostlized, maybe notarized. As long as it have official seal, that all I needed when I got mine. Anyway the PRA can tell you what's need with just a call

emvaningen

As far as I know DD214 must be apostilled.

Moon Dog

@Moon DogI have a DD214 with raised seal from.the National Archives.l understand or has to be apostilled.That should be done in the US and is good for a year if I have to use it with the PRA for SSRV.Does the SSA in Manila provide benefits letters regarding Social security?Thanks for your assistance.        -@bigstar1208

Your benefits letter and DD214 should be apostilled if you are still in the US. I think your local Philippine consulate can do that for you. In my case neither document was apostilled when I arrived in the Philippines. Notarized documents are also accepted as long as the documents are notarized by the US Embassy in Manila or Cebu. You don't have to give them your DD214 with a raised seal, a clear copy will do.

To have the documents notarized you must make an online appointment with the US Embassy for notarization. The notary at the embassy will write a sworn statement in your name for you to sign after you raise your right hand and swear that the documents are genuine.  The cost is $50 per notarization so the notary that I used combined the documents so I only paid $50 for both documents.

Google 'US Embassy Philippines notary' and it will take you where you need to go to make the appointment. Check the "notary" box then select "make an appointment". Wear long pants, a shirt with a collar and shoes, no slippers. If you are accompanied by a female she must NOT wear a sleeveless blouse.

bigstar1208

@emvaningen

It does.

bigstar1208

@Moon Dog

Thanks

bigstar1208

@bigstar1208

I can have my DD214 apostilled in the US before arriving in the Philippines just wondering holing it's good for.

I prefer not to wait until social security starts in November for a pension letter.

Moon dog mentioned that a notarized pension letter was accepted and can be done in the US Embassy in Manila correct.

Does the background check need any thing?

Thanks for your assistance.

Moon Dog

@bigstar1208

I'm having a bunch of stuff apostilled while I'm in the US for an adoption in the Philippines. Even my ex-wife's death certificate is required and everything has to be apostilled. The death certificate costs me $40 and it arrived today. I called the Maryland secretary of state to see what I had to do to get it apostilled and she said just sent it to me with a self addressed return envelope and 5 bucks.

I have to get at least 3 documents apostilled here in West Virginia. Birth certificate, medical exam and maybe police clearance. The first one is $10 and $5 for any additional documents in the same order and they pay the return shipping. They will apostille most anything that is properly notarized in the same state.

Yes, you can have your pension or SS letter notarized at the embassy like I explained earlier. I don't know about the background check because I did not have to have one. If you are 70 or older and been in the country 6 months you are exempt from a background check in your home country. I just had to get the NBI clearance.

bigstar1208

Thanks for the information.

I think its just safe to get docs apostilled as long as  there is not a time limit.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles