Menu
Expat.com

Possibility of Spain changing its 90-day rule

Last activity 27 January 2024 by MinuteByMinute

davidvernem

Hello, I was hoping to get some of your thoughts on the possibility of Spain changing its 90-day rule, to follow suit with France. As you know the French Parliament has voted to extend the time we can stay there to six months, if we own a property there. It still has to be rubber-stamped by the constitutional council, however.

Do you think Spain will follow France ?

Thank you

Best wishes

David

SimCityAT

Hello, I was hoping to get some of your thoughts on the possibility of Spain changing its 90-day rule, to follow suit with France. As you know the French Parliament has voted to extend the time we can stay there to six months, if we own a property there. It still has to be rubber-stamped by the constitutional council, however.
Do you think Spain will follow Spain?
Thank you
Best wishes
David

-@davidvernem

There was talk of it, but it's anyone's guess if they follow suit. I don't think anyone here can really give you a firm yes or no.

gwynj

@SimCityAT

Agreed! But I'd give a definite "maybe". :-)

therealcbd77

Haha, we all live in hope.

Thank you

Best wishes

David

joemcgunnigle

I’d put money on it happening .. date wise is tricky but oil always finds its way to market.

therealcbd77

Thank you, Joe, I share your optimism.

Jackohartes

@davidvernem

Hi David, just wondering if you know anything about when you are allowed to re-enter after the 3 months or if they change it to 6 months?

Regards, Freda

SimCityAT

@davidvernem
Hi David, just wondering if you know anything about when you are allowed to re-enter after the 3 months or if they change it to 6 months?
Regards, Freda

-@Jackohartes

After 3 months you are allowed to enter for 3 months

davidvernem

@Jackohartes

Hi Freda, I'm not sure, but I'd imagine Spain may follow France, by simply extending the current three months to six. So, we can spend six continuous months in Spain...fingers crossed.

Best wishes

David

MinuteByMinute

@davidvernem

Hi David,

Whilst Spain's Tourism Minister and Comunidad Valenciana's regional president have lobbied the EU for this extension, they have both publically acknowledged in the press here that this is not a decision that Spain can make unilaterally.  I suspect that is because, while France is a net contributor to the EU, Spain is a net beneficiary.  In other words, don't hold your breath.

Kind regards,

Kim

davidvernem

@MinuteByMinute

Oh I see. So it probably won't be as clear cut as France. What a shame.

Thank you

Best wishes

David

SimCityAT

They are back to square one in France as the French court blocked the change. So they are only allowed to stay 90 days out of 180.

Conor55

@MinuteByMinute Whether Spain is a net contributor or beneficiary to the EU has absolutely nothing to do with how EU policy or laws are agreed upon. The EU decision making process involves the European Parliament, Council of European Union and the European commission.  The population of the country has more influence than any other factor on it's "clout" within the EU institutions.  Spain is one of the largest contributors to the EU budget, contributing 12.4 billion euros in 2021. It is the 4th largest economy in EU and 14th largest in the world. There would be no EU without it.

SimCityAT

Europe's largest national economies by nominal GDP over US$1.0 trillion are:

• Germany ($4.43 trillion),
  • United Kingdom ($3.33 trillion),
  • France ($3.05 trillion),
  • Italy ($2.19 trillion),
  • Russia ($1.86 trillion),
  • Spain ($1.58 trillion)
  • Netherlands ($1.09 trillion)
Conor55

@SimCityAT This still places Spain as the 4th largest economy in the EU. Neither the UK nor Russia are currently members.

MinuteByMinute

@Conor55

Bless the naive, you live amongst us; nevertheless, you're entitled to your opinion - and so am I.

SimCityAT

@SimCityAT This still places Spain as the 4th largest economy in the EU. Neither the UK nor Russia are currently members.

-@Conor55

You still have no idea how the EU works!!

MinuteByMinute

@SimCityAT

I was surprised how quickly the Court made the decision - under French constitutional law, they had up to a month.  Personally, I don't believe wrapping up the amendment into Macron's highly controversial Immigration Bill - whether for expediency or 'cover' - helped, with the view of Minister Delegate Mme Firmin-Le Bodo expressed in her concluding remarks:

"Finally, I will express an unfavorable opinion on amendment No. 336 rectified  bis from Ms Imbert, which tends to create a new visa."

This suggests to me that, even if the supporters can bring it back as a new Bill, there's every likelihood that it will be challenged constitutionally again as, rather than simply providing administrative expediency, it would appear to favour UK passport holders over other Third Country Nationals.

In the meantime, British media channels in Spain continue to regurgitate the words of the former Tourism Minister, Reyes Maroto, attributing them to Spain's current Tourism Minister, despite them being more than a year old, but unfortunately there is no evidence that the Spanish government is currently lobbying the EU for a long-stay visa for UK citizens.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Getting married in Spain
    Getting married in Spain

Congratulations! You have found the partner of your dreams and want to get married in Spain. And why not? The ...

• Traveling to Spain
    Traveling to Spain

You're thinking about a new life abroad and all the opportunities it can bring, but before you relocate ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

All of Spain's guide articles