2 front legs broken

Dear fellow members!

I "ìnherited" two dogs from the previous owners when I took possession of my farm.   They are both 8 years old, one is a Collie, the other a much larger dog.

It was not my intention to have dogs, I never did through my adult life, but the owners moved to a much smaller lot where they would have been tied up all day.  So I agreed to take them.

On Friday evening the Collie went missing.  I found him near the road in the ditch.  He was very passive, so I took him to the vet although the bleeding was minimal. 

The x-rays showed that both front legs had been broken with the fracture on the one leg being quite complex.

Does anyone know anyone who had to deal with a similar injury?  Does anyone know anybody that would be willing to take care of this dog for the next two months (for compensation?  He is not supposed to use these two legs but he does not agree with this.  He is a very gentle dog but he has a strong will and he cannot handle being locked up.  He will break out of anything no matter what the pain and risk.

The other dog is very big.  While he is good hearted he will make sure that he gets the love he needs, meaning he pushes the Collie out of the way if he sees me with him.  Not pleasant when both dogs are healthy,  very dangerous when the smaller one has two broken legs.

My farm is a construction site with even bare necessities missing although I live there since exactly two weeks.  The dogs are used to living outside, for the Collie this is not possible now because flies would lay eggs in the wounds from the surgery.

Please let me hear your advise, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Armin

Hi Armin,

I don't know if you've managed to rehome the dog poor injured dog by now, and I don't know how good your Spanish is, but you might want to try the organisations Refugio Canino 'Juan Lacaze' and Responsibilidad Animal Colonia. If they can't help you directly, maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Stephanie

Good morning, Stephanie!

Thank you for caring and responding because you do.

No, I have not found a temporary home for Collie yet.  I had given up.  I will pursue the two suggestions later today.

Things have gone a little better than expected, since the big dog has become a little less of a bully and less jealous, but he is suffering too, because Collie now has so many privileges compared to him. 

But Collie is a little better it seems and perhaps we can manage.  He is very lonely, bored and frustrated though, although I give both dogs more attention than usual.  As farm dogs, they are usually very self-sufficient.  I know nothing about their life with their previous owners.

The vet I have is excellent, that is a big help.  My non-existent Spanish the opposite.

So I am still interested in getting some pointers of how this recovery needs to go and what to watch out for and expect along the way.

Thank you again, Stephanie and may you have a good day!

Armin

Hi Armin,

I'm glad to hear that the situation with both dogs is better, if not great. Maybe your vet will have some information about the organisations I named or can contact them since I believe they're both in the Colonia area.

Thank you for caring for the dogs so well!

Kind regards,

Stephanie