What to Bring, What to Buy

My wife bought some kind of childproof outlet cover for the little guy's play room. She didn't do much research because the covers were made for a US duplex outlet like the Levitons sold in the US. I looked on Lazada and Shopee for a US style duplex outlet and actually found a source coming directly from China, so I'm good, right? Wrong, the outlets looked pretty much identical to a Leviton but the center threaded hole used to attach a cover plate was a solid aluminum rivet, no threads for the screw I needed to attach the childproof cover. I ended up drilling a hole in the rivet and using a sheet metal screw to attach the childproof covers. They need to rethink how they reverse engineer the US style duplex outlets in China.

The moral of the story, it doesn't hurt to bring a few Leviton duplex outlets just in case.

A guitar in a hardshell guitar case should be fine or go to Guitar Center or Box City and get a carton to put the guitar & case inside. That's how they ship from the factory.

Thanks for the suggestion about boxes.  I looked at hardshell cases but good ones are over $100.  I'd only use it the once since I'm not a professional musician that does gigs and I'd need at least two. My mandolin already has a case plus would probably fit in a large balikbiyan box.

Al Capone likes this. . . . A guitar in a hardshell guitar case should be fine or go to Guitar Center or Box City and get a carton to put the guitar & case inside. That's how they ship from the factory.

It may be a Fender Stratocaster Bob.

Cheers, Steve.

My wife bought some kind of childproof outlet cover for the little guy's play room. She didn't do much research because the covers were made for a US duplex outlet like the Levitons sold in the US. I looked on Lazada and Shopee for a US style duplex outlet and actually found a source coming directly from China, so I'm good, right? Wrong, the outlets looked pretty much identical to a Leviton but the center threaded hole used to attach a cover plate was a solid aluminum rivet, no threads for the screw I needed to attach the childproof cover. I ended up drilling a hole in the rivet and using a sheet metal screw to attach the childproof covers. They need to rethink how they reverse engineer the US style duplex outlets in China.
The moral of the story, it doesn't hurt to bring a few Leviton duplex outlets just in case.-@Moon Dog

Just in case! That's called planning ahead which is ILLEGAL on this forum, apparently. Thanks for another informative heads-up. Guess you couldn't find the duplex outlets locally? That debunks the myth that everything is available in PH ... hehe. Yeah, I figured all along that what may be available in one location may not be available everywhere in a Third World archipelago. Just common sense. Hopefully, the OTP (Overthinking Thought Police) will enjoy their mouthful of crow.

This past summer I replaced many light switches, outlets, fixtures, ceiling fans, and almost all wall plates in my house. Making runs to HD, Lowe's, and ACE became so time consuming (and a waste of gas), I checked Amazon and found Leviton wall plates cheaper than already cheap local prices, plus free shipping. So I ordered a bunch and returned a bunch because they didn't match in size, color, sheen, or texture. They came in the same white bags with a Leviton stamp but were either a cheaper version or fakes. 

What about audio/video cables and connectors/adapters? Any issues finding that stuff?

@jozica

For the non believers.

http://tinyurl.com/289adsc6

At less than US 3.30 and I have seen different brands of universal GPO's at most decent hardware stores here even in the back waters of our tiny archipelago.

I think if you read back to Moon Dogs post he was talking about child proof plugs that plug into the GPO's to protect little fingers.

Most things you can get here and what you can't is available online and generally cheaper.

No issues getting electronics and cable connections, not in the shop available online, same for 220volt gen sets and transformers.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

@kjwilde Good idea to ship hand tools, battery tools, and clothing. Check compatibility for electronics with 240V. You can send laptops, monitors, and guitars, but consider buying TVs locally to avoid issues and shipping costs. Best of luck with your move!

infomodcarparking suggested to kjwilde. . . . Good idea to ship hand tools, battery tools, and clothing. Check compatibility for electronics with 240V. You can send laptops, monitors, and guitars, but consider buying TVs locally to avoid issues and shipping costs. Best of luck with your move!

(1) Be careful about battery hand tools (Lithium batteries)

(2) No need to ship laptops, they can be a carry on.

(3) Don't ship your clothes, put them in your suitcase, otherwise you won't have a change of clothes for months.

(1) Be careful about battery hand tools (Lithium batteries)
(2) No need to ship laptops, they can be a carry on.

(3) Don't ship your clothes, put them in your suitcase, otherwise you won't have a change of clothes for months.

-@Enzyte Bob

Strange that the AI did not pick up on the declarations and labeling that are required when air shipping lithium batteries. It isn't specific about air shipments so I guess the AI gets a pass but declaration s are still required for containing shipping, it just isn't as strict and the movers will handle that if you hire movers. Of course laptops are generally carry on but an AI doesn't know that unless you tell it. The idea of shipping clothes is funny; the AI probably doesn't know that wearing clothes is in a time cycle, i.e. it thinks you can just wear what you have until the shipment arrives 4-6 months later.

Our AI friend is learning and every thing we post here learns more and become more creative. Put it to bed and get on with the OP's topic and ignore, similar problems on another site and could well be the same fool.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

A true story about AI. I asked AI if a airplane was flying between Los Angeles and Manila and it crashed in the middle of the ocean where would they bury the survivors.

AI response: Depending on their nationality they would be buried  country of their origin.

You said it all Bob, let's ignore the infiltrators spurious submissions and focus on real members and let AI enjoy his curry tonight.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl inspired me. . . .You said it all Bob, let's ignore the infiltrators spurious submissions members and let AI

Remember GIGO. . . . . Garbage In Garbage Out

Update: AIGI AIGO