Shipping A Container 2024

So my container arrives at port soon. Should I be present to pay port charges and other fees? What about appraising the value of my goods for tax purposes? The port-to-door moving company broker says he'll "represent me" at the port. Does that mean he'll cover all fees and write me a new invoice on his own company letterhead and inflate the numbers to all ƒ since I'm paying him directly and won't see the true dollar amounts he paid to "represent me"? Call me paranoid but so far this has happened in two other situations.

@jozica

We shipped a 20ft container from Australia to our house in La Union. The shipping company we used had their own forwarder in Manila that did all the paperwork for landing, duties and taxes,,,,, there were none.

We paid the shipping company in Oz for their side of things and they paid the forwarder here. One bill.

Better half did have to front up to the forwarder in Manila and present passport and drivers license, Sign some papers and a week later it arrived on our doorstep on a short semi trailer and a van with 6 workers to unload it, no extra fees, the container seal untouched and nothing broken or damaged.

We did this in the better half's name as a returning Filipino citizen (not an OFW) and no problems.

Cheers, Steve.

We shipped our 20ft container from NZ to Manila, and it arrived in March 2024, but we were still in NZ at that time. The shipping company had their customs broker deal with the unloading at port and customs. But since we were not present for that, had to pay taxes and duties even though under the name of a Filipino citizen. Shipping company dealt with all these - they showed us the assessment from customs, and we were asked to pay the amount to the shipping company and they pay customs on our behalf. So if you have to pay for taxes and duties, you can always ask for the customs' assessment so you know you're not being ripped off.