Moving to Belgium: a few questions

Hi everyone, I'm due to move to Belgium in a few months for work and had a couple of questions that I'd be grateful to get some answers to:

• from what I've read on here, getting the work permit/visa can take up to four months. Is that true? I have a job and the company is handling a lot of things for me, so does that speed it up at all? For context, I will be in Brussels.
  • what happens if I change jobs while I'm there? I've read I would need to let the authorities know and technically get a new work permit, but is that quite easy in practice? Or could things go wrong/get costly?
  • Am I right in thinking that it is five years to get Belgian nationality, and that by law the authorities have to give you a decision within six months of your application for nationality being made?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I can share my experience with you for your first question. I moved to Brussels from Istanbul - Turkey.

My single permit process (including both residency and work permits) was started by the relocation agency in the 8th of August. My right of employment was granted in the 4th of September. My single permit including residency was approved on 18th of October. The whole process ended earlier than expected. I think the relocation agency affected the process in a positive way.

Hope things go faster for you.

Fingers crossed.

@berilakaydin   hi what agency did you use?

I dont use yet any agency. I try to help another people to shere handy tips about places like this

@Mirage123

Congrats on your job in Belgium.

To answer your questions:.

1. Yes, when its applied via your company, there may be a possibility that your permit is processed sooner than someone who applies themselves.
  2. If you want to immediately change your job then perhaps your current employer may not be happy. But anyway if your new employer can arrange the new permit, then should not be an issue and the process can go faster since you are already in Belgium.
  3. In general yes, its five years... But keep in mind that you first need a permanent residence before you apply for nationality. Meaning you apply for the PR once you complete 5 years.. .+- 5 months to get it approved and then you apply for the nationality which takes around +-4 months. (keeping in mind you have all the documents necessary).