Is there a way to check land records in S.N. from the US?

Hi Everyone,

My grandmother owns land and property in Sao Nicolau and she plans to transfer ownership to her children and grandchildren upon her death. We want to ensure that her land records are accurate to avoid family infighting and expensive legal costs to remedy any inaccuracies. Is there a way to check land records in S.N. from the US?

@CV Jones

Hello CV Jones,

Please note that I have created this new thread from your post on the Cape Verde forum so that members can shed the light on your query.

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna Thank you!

Hi Everyone,
My grandmother owns land and property in Sao Nicolau and she plans to transfer ownership to her children and grandchildren upon her death. We want to ensure that her land records are accurate to avoid family infighting and expensive legal costs to remedy any inaccuracies. Is there a way to check land records in S.N. from the US?

-@CV Jones

Hi CV Jones,

There is no way to check land records in Cape Verde online. You can only check land transactions in person at any of the Cartórios, but you will need the land registration number.  Now where in the US are you? If you are close to the Consulado in Quincy, MA or Kissimmee, FL, or the Embassy in DC, you may be able to obtain the transaction history for the land which will obviously show who is the last owner. But as I said earlier, you will need the land registration number (Cadastro).

Alternatively, you can go in person to the Câmara Municipal in São Nicolau (there are TWO municipalities in SN, so you will need to know in which of them the land is located). The Câmara will be able to search for landownership by full name.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Angelo