Menu
Expat.com

How to manage the rental contract when someone lost job?

Last activity 06 March 2024 by enjoymath9

enjoymath9

I need your valuable input.

Lost job. No unemployement benefit as the tenure in Belgium is just 8 months.

The apartment rental contract states 3 months notice period and 1 month penalty.

I want to leave the country ASAP as I have good offer in home country.

Informed my apartment owner. They are stating the contract terms and conditions.

Just to pay rents for 4 months as the contract is valid for a year is tough without source of income

Appreciate any suggestion

Regards

bernadette1180

@enjoymath9

hi, what kind of contract did you sign - started when  ? 

have you been assisted by a relocation agent ?

sameer.ramdowar

Hello,

It is possible to find someone to take the lease with the owner's permission. If someone retake the lease, there will be no penalties. However, you will need to organise the visits yourself. Consider advertising on Facebook, immoweb.

ievgenfeldmann

You can ask to repay by parts, of course landlord will accept it instead of long court and legal mess. Propose your repayment plan.

enjoymath9

@bernadette1180

Rental contract is for a year with an extension possibility of 3 years contract.

The contract started on 1st of June 2023 and end on 31st of May 2024. Relocation manager was involved that time.

enjoymath9

@sameer.ramdowar

Thank you for sharing this information.

enjoymath9

@ievgenfeldmann

Thank you for your advice.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belgium

• Accommodation in Liège
    Accommodation in Liège

Liège is one of the many French-speaking cities in Belgium. It's also the capital city of the Wallonia ...

• A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods
    A guide to Brussels' neighbourhoods

A very safe and laid-back city to live and work in, Brussels has many different sides for expats and tourists to ...

• Buying property in Brussels
    Buying property in Brussels

Compared with other European capitals, buying property in Brussels is very affordable. Consequently, it's ...

• Accommodation in Leuven
    Accommodation in Leuven

Leuven is home to a lot of students but also attracts expats because of the companies implemented there. So, where ...

• Accommodation in Brussels
    Accommodation in Brussels

As it's a multicultural city with a healthy job market, it's no surprise that Brussels is so popular ...

• Accommodation in Antwerp
    Accommodation in Antwerp

Antwerp is a city with many aspects that welcomes foreigners from all around the world. We'll advise you on ...

• Accommodation in Charleroi
    Accommodation in Charleroi

Charleroi is a major hotspot in Belgium. It's the third most populated city in the country, and it attracts ...

• Accommodation in Namur
    Accommodation in Namur

If you're planning to move to Namur, you'll need to find accommodation in advance. Unlike other cities ...

All of Belgium's guide articles