Moving Logistics

Hi

There's a very good chance that I'll be relocating from London to Antalya this summer!

I have two initial practical queries that I'm hoping someone can help with:

1) What's the best way of bringing in our household items, devices, etc.? I have a lot of electronics (cameras, etc.) due to the type of work I do, and also DIY tools that I'd ideally like to bring with me. I know that these items are expensive in Turkiye; should I be concerned about duties/taxation?

2) What would we need to do if we want to bring our cat with us? 1f408.svg

Thanks in advance!

Hanif

All the best Hanif. Have you decided which part?I have previously been and met the below. They are extremely helpful. https://youtu.be/J_J-YBbd4j0?feature=shared

i brought all my belongings electrical/tools household furniture ect

in my motorhome the customs were not intrested in them as they were not in new boxes(unopened) so my experience is if you drive them here you will be fine bring any reciepts for the big stuff if you have them

i looked into having everything come by container but it was going to cost in excess of £10000 so i drove it here

@solarshade Thank you for the advice. I'm glad to hear you managed to get everything into Turkey without any issues.

£10,000 for a container definitely seems way too expensive to entertain! 1f62e.svg

that was £10k for the container plus shipping

@Robina682 We haven't decided exactly where yet... mainly because we've never been to Antalya! 1f602.svg

But we want a break from city life, and although Istanbul is lovely, it's just too busy for us. Plus, I'm really looking for Mediterranean weather.

We'll probably want to be somewhere central to keep the kids entertained (they're 21, 16, 14 and 9). Schooling (in English) will also be a factor. Perhaps Muratpasa, Kepez, Aksu, or Konyalti?

I'm in touch with someone who moved from London to Antalya a couple of years ago. He lives in Muratpasa, and his family seems to be enjoying it.

The plan is to come out on my own in late May/early June to explore the options, sell our house in London (we have a buyer lined up), and then come over with the family in the summer to hopefully finalise everything—although I imagine it will be pretty hot then!

Wow. That's amazing. My husband and I also plan to maybe rent until we decide where to live. There are a lot of places so InShaAllah I will let Allah lead me.

The guy in the link has a property business so may have some ideas. My sons are also older so I understand completely. I'm just reluctant to sell my house as it will be a big source of income for us if we rent. Have you thought about income when you move?

Hi Hanif,

My family and I have just moved to Antalya about 5 months ago.

Unfortunately we have had to leave our beloved Kitty behind as it was way too expensive to bring her. Also, very few airlines do take animals on board.

We used CML cargo to move all our belongings from London to Antalya. https://cmlcargo.com/

They were brilliant and kept in contact all throughout. As for the electronics, I suggest you take them on board the plane with you. That's what we did!

My advice to you and your family is to buy all your electronics items in London, ship all your kitchen gadgets etc. We didn't and now are paying for it through our noses! Too expensive.

Also, if I had to do it all over again, I would never choose Antalya. It's way too busy and expensive.

We are in Aksu ABD it's very touristic. However, due to the fact that it's full of hotels, there aren't any activities for kids or families. Only shops upon shops upon more shops full of dupes clothes, bags and shoes.

If I could choose now, I would look into Kemer, Sparta, Side...

One more advice, look into the laws with regard working and working from home (work permit and tax regulations). I'm a freelancer and I have had to look into these. I didn't know and stupidly thought that my Turkish residency card would allow me to work as a freelancer. I assume you do a job that can be done from home? (Hence the electronics?).

If you like to contact me, don't hesitate.

My husband will be more than happy to help.

All the best

@Hanif_O We moved a few years ago and moving with items can be painful if you follow the rules. (not expensive, but cumbersome).

Customs can be nasty and it can take a full day to clear everything. We used a moving company (by car), if small items via plane it might be easier.

I do not know if you bought, but somebody needs to give help (we have good experience with our real estate agent)

@Robina682 The guy in the link (Faiz) is the guy I'm in touch with! Just spoke to him yesterday, as a matter of fact. :)

In terms of income, I have my own consultancy business, alhamdulillah, and do most of my work remotely.

When it comes to decision-making; istikhara + istishara never fails!

Istikhara we've done and the signs have been very clear, alhamdulillah. As for istishara (seeking advice from knowledgeable people), that's why I'm on this forum. 1f642.svg

I pray everything goes smoothly for you, insha-Allah.

@cdw057 Thank you for the advice. 🙏

I recently took some camera equipment with me on a short trip to Bangladesh, and even that was a pain at customs!

The thought of having significantly more equipment to deal with isn't appealing, especially when the country you're bringing it into has very high costs for electronic equipment.

Will definitely explore this further.

Hi @Fedy23

Thank you so much for all that information - I'm extremely grateful! 🙏

I'm so sorry you had to leave your little kitty behind; that must have been hard, because they're part of the family. Your kids must have been devastated.

Thanks for the link to the cargo company, I will most definitely check them out.

I've amassed a fair amount of electronics over the past few years in my business, mainly camera equipment and other items for content creation.

I was reading about visa requirements yesterday on the helpful new Turkey guide on this site and did notice the work visa, but I was confused about whether it would be required as my consultancy business would remain in the UK and the work I'd be doing would be for my UK clients in the main.

I have a couple of friends who do property development in Istanbul, and they have good connections, so I might see if they can find out for me!

That being said, I might also consider setting something up in Turkey (I was reading about starting a business and Turkey, and it's definitely more involved than in the UK).

I'm sorry to hear Aksu doesn't have all the amenities you were hoping for. I hope your kids aren't driving you up the wall! Do you have to travel far to find things to do?

What is it specifically about Kemer/Sparta/Side that attracts you more than Aksu?

How has your time been so far? I hope you're feeling settled and are having a great time.

P.S. I would love the opportunity to connect with you/your hubby to find out more. Thank you for the offer!