Menu
Expat.com

Mary Norquist

Last activity 20 March 2024 by Rebeccarichman929

mnorq

I moved to Mexico from the states in 2010 and have never looked back. I live in San Miguel de Allende where I have a small business advertising agency. I have cats and a dog as pets. I like to hang out with my many friends and explore new restaurants and events going on in town.

Rebeccarichman929

I,too love San Miguel lived there many years ago attending the Instituto,  but now l have a differ ent feeling about it.  As my beloved daughter died there from carbon monoxide in October of 2023.  she rented a large house where she had stayed before with freinds and family, but this time she went by herself.  she wanted to see how she did by herself as she wanted to purchase a small casita and become an expat.  She had been therevtwo weeks and was in touch with me every day.  the night of Oct 30 after the hurricane hit Guadalajo, SM was cold and rainy she was cold and told me she was going to turn on a fireplace in thre bedroom i never heard from her again she was found in bed by the maid the next day.

watch out for carbom monoxide poisoning in Mexico. it has been anightmare of course the authorities said it was a heart attack.  she was 67 in great shape.  at least 8 people have died of this  x this year.  pass the word!

i

rennytemple1

@mnorq

Hi, Mary,

My wife and I are thinking about a move down there (from Bend, OR) in a year to three from now.  A little nervous.  We're looking at taking a week trip there in June-July to look around.  We've talked to a friend of a friend who lives there now and loves it, but not as long as you.  If you don't mind, I would love to talk/write to you about SM and your enthusiasm for it; pros and cons

I'm Renny Temple (wife - Caren Kaye) and email is [link moderated] if you'd like to take a shot...!  Thanks.  So much to think about ...!  1f643.svg

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago
Reason : Contact details should be sent in private by clicking on the photo of any member.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Bhavna

@rennytemple1

Hello, to send your contact details to a member, click on his/her photo and on "send a message"

Regards

Bhavna

mnorq

@Rebeccarichman929    I remember that event. I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand why you may not have positive thoughts about SMA.

Rebeccarichman929

@mnorqt

thanks for your reply.  IT was such a nightmare we had to hire an attorney to try to deal with the authorities there.  and the owner of the casa who lives in New York never came to SM and was no   help at all as was the American Embassys office.  The paperwork we had to send was never ending.  I am 92 and could not make thebtrip to claim her body and have her cremated.  Mary I dont know how old you are but if younplan to be there forever look into what your family would need should you die there.  rather morbid Im afraid.

Bridget intended to move and live there, she loved it and was completely bilingual having worked in migrant education here and in Puerto Rico so it would have been perfect for her.  She loved Mexico and the Mexican people as do I, not the authorities though.

Mary have a good day enjoy SM.

Rebecca

t t

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mexico

• Dating in Mexico
    Dating in Mexico

We can recognize an intrinsic spark of love in the Mexican culture, "la serenata." Remember that ...

• Leisure activities in Mexico
    Leisure activities in Mexico

Mexico has activities for everyone: from exciting adventure to peaceful relaxation, high culture to rowdy street ...

• Working in Cancun
    Working in Cancun

Cancun and surrounding areas are popular destinations for both tourists and expatriates alike. Cancun is the ...

• Accommodation in Cancun
    Accommodation in Cancun

Like in other parts of Mexico, the best way to find accommodation in Cancun is by searching for one while ...

• Travelling around Mexico
    Travelling around Mexico

One of the best parts about living in Mexico is being able to travel across the country. Mexico may appear small ...

• Childcare and education in Mexico
    Childcare and education in Mexico

Many Mexicans' lives, young and old, revolve around family issues. Children are accepted on most social ...

• Buying property in Mexico City
    Buying property in Mexico City

People travel from all across the globe to reside in Latin America because of its cultural richness and usually ...

• Study in Mexico
    Study in Mexico

If you're planning to move to Mexico with your family or choose to study there, here is all you need to know ...

All of Mexico's guide articles