Retiring within 2 years

Hello!

My wife and I are late 50s/early 60s and looking to retire in about 2 years. We are US citizens, but my wife is also an Irish citizen and has an Irish passport. We have focused extensive effort learning about and visiting Portugal as a retirement destination, but have recently opened up the idea of Spain - namely Valencia or Alicante. We have only spent time near Barcelona, as we have family living just outside in Sitges.

Our daughter will be 18 at that time and will likely move with us to take time between high school and college/trade school and will consider studying in Spain or elsewhere. We plan to visit at least Madrid, Valencia and Alicante later this year or early next year.

Out questions are around things like pursuing a non-lucrative visa and what might be the best strategy given my wife has dual US/Irish citizenship. We are also interested in understanding more deeply people's experience managing the wealth tax. We are fine paying taxes and integrating into life in Spain, but want to understand tax rules to be as tax efficient as is allowed. Of course we will seek professional guidance around that matter.

While my wife and I would be transitioning to a retirement lifestyle, our daughter will just be beginning adult life so her access to education, friends, culture, nightlife, etc is important.  Larger cities such as Valencia offer those experiences as well.

Delighted to be joining this group and thank you for any thoughts you might offer!

Michael

Hello Michael,

we are in a very similar situation. live in the US and just bought a place near Calp / Moraira. our time horizon may be a few years longer to be here but our plan is to spend increasing time here over the next 5 years,  i am EU citizen and my wife is US citizen.  senf me a DM if you like and we'd be happy to share our experience.

D

@mveetee

You don't need a visa, yay! :-) Your wife should do the EU Citizen Registration (in Spain, after booking a cita previa online). Once that's done (she gets a little paper certificate) you can apply for Family Reunification as the spouse of an EU citizen resident in Spain (also in Spain, also after booking a cita previa online). You'll also have to go for a separate step of getting your TIE (biometric residence permit), but your wife only needs her little certificate.

Both pretty easy, and can be done without an attorney (but a bit of help from a gestor or translator might be appreciated). Typically, you'll need proof of health insurance, proof of funds, proof of address.

You should read the exact requirements for family reunification for children (for the daughter of an EU citizen resident in Spain). I suspect under 18 easy, over 18 probably not. If you want her to be able to live with you, it might be tempting to get residence for all three of you soon-ish, rather than waiting until you officially retire (and I see no downside in doing this). If your daughter also has an Irish passport, this issue doesn't arise as she can get her residence in her own right, at any time (and any age) by virtue of her EU passport.

Just FYI, the above described process/sequence is essentially the same (and with the same requirements) in Portugal or any other EU country you might choose.

Good luck with the move!

cita previa

https://sede.administracionespublicas.g … io/icpplus

certificado

https://www.inclusion.gob.es/en/web/mig … ea-hi-101-

reagrupacion

https://www.inclusion.gob.es/en/web/mig … pe-hi-102-

@gwynj Thank you, this is very helpful. The good news for my daughter is that Ireland does have a citizen pathway for grandchildren by descent, which we are currently pursuing.  My mother in law was Irish.  Once we have that both my wife and then adult daughter will be EU citizens!

Links and information greatly appreciated!

Very helpful as I also am a US citizen with Irish citizenship and will be beginning this process to move to Spain soon as well.  Thanks much!