Moving in and out of Italy and US every 6 months

Hi,

Can I live in Italy for 6 months and US for six months each year if I have a newly issued Carta di Soggiorno? I am a non-EU spouse of an EU citizen.

Not likely! if you are a US citizen, not a EU citizen, you require a Visa. Per US and Italian guidelines as you might be aware, you as a US citizen can stay in Italy for 3 months without a VISA issued by the Italian Consulate in the US prior to your departure from the US. My point is you cannot get a Visa on arrival in Italy. IF the 6 month timeframe is your goal, you must obtain a Visa at the Italian Consul in the US, prior to coming to Italy. I live in Italy, I have a Visa, I am American. I advise that you speak with a US based Attorney who can understand more info about your personal goals and situation. I also suggest you go online and look at the Italian Consulate website. It is pretty straight forward regarding the types of Visa's offered and regulations.

IF your spouse is Italian you might look at dual citizenship…it's a process. Boca lupo:)