British Expat looking for help to settle in Al Khobar, Thanks

Hi all,

I am thinking of moving to Al Khobar for work as I have been offered a job.

Would really appreciate as British Expat the following as I have no clue how life is like in Khobar.

1) What are the expenses for Schooling for a good/outstanding school in Al Khobar?

2) Are there any taxes at all for locals and British Expats?

3) Comparing living expenses such as food, clothing, medicine etc. how expensive are they lets say compared to London average food etc. e.g. food is roughly 1.5 times expensive than one would typically find in London. and also how expensive are bills like water, electricity, gas or broadband etc.?

4) is it easy to purchase and drive a car around in Al Khobar/Saudi in general?

5)  What is the typical range for renting a property 2-3 bedrooms min-max rent in a compound and if it is advisable to live outside a compound at all?

6) What is the security situation in Khobar?

7) Is there anything that caught you out when you moved to Saudi/Khobar. Specifically if you have children? e.g. something was extortionately expensive for children swimming lessons or schooling etc.?

Cheers

Ozzy

Hi this Lyndsey

All your questions can be answered

Firstly, it depend on the company you will be with.

1, how much housing allowance,

2, how much for schooling.

3, all things here, food, clothes computers, etc.. 30% more.

You need to get the best deal you can with your company or partners.

We have lived here for 12 years.

@llamcx

Hi,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Monthly allowance examples as follows:

Transportation Allowance:        SAR 1,500.00 Per Month

Housing Allowance:                      SAR 5,833.00 Per Month

This is obviously on top of the offered salary/expat rates. Any ideas?

Hi all,
I am thinking of moving to Al Khobar for work as I have been offered a job.
Would really appreciate as British Expat the following as I have no clue how life is like in Khobar.

1) What are the expenses for Schooling for a good/outstanding school in Al Khobar?

2) Are there any taxes at all for locals and British Expats?

3) Comparing living expenses such as food, clothing, medicine etc. how expensive are they lets say compared to London average food etc. e.g. food is roughly 1.5 times expensive than one would typically find in London. and also how expensive are bills like water, electricity, gas or broadband etc.?

4) is it easy to purchase and drive a car around in Al Khobar/Saudi in general?

5)  What is the typical range for renting a property 2-3 bedrooms min-max rent in a compound and if it is advisable to live outside a compound at all?

6) What is the security situation in Khobar?

7) Is there anything that caught you out when you moved to Saudi/Khobar. Specifically if you have children? e.g. something was extortionately expensive for children swimming lessons or schooling etc.?

Cheers
Ozzy

Hello,

1 - British and American curriculum are from SR 40k - 80k per year

2 - No taxes in KSA, you do have a dependent fee of SR 400 per dependent of yours (wife + kid will be SR 800 per month), I am not sure how the taxation works for you in the UK

3 - Water is SR 9 for a 20 litre can, Electricity on average can be SR 400, Gas is SR 21-22, Broadband cheapest is SR 290 per month. Cost of living compared to UK should be lower here

4 - Very easy, get a D/L and get a car

5 - Compound starts for SR 40k - SR 150k and above yearly. It is also absolutely safe to stay outside compounds also which range from SR 20k-80k yearly

6 - Absolutely safe, nothing to worry about

7 - I haven't come across anything that absurd other than schooling if it's British or American curriculum

Hope this helps!

Hi all,I am thinking of moving to Al Khobar for work as I have been offered a job.Would really appreciate as British Expat the following as I have no clue how life is like in Khobar.1) What are the expenses for Schooling for a good/outstanding school in Al Khobar?2) Are there any taxes at all for locals and British Expats?3) Comparing living expenses such as food, clothing, medicine etc. how expensive are they lets say compared to London average food etc. e.g. food is roughly 1.5 times expensive than one would typically find in London. and also how expensive are bills like water, electricity, gas or broadband etc.?4) is it easy to purchase and drive a car around in Al Khobar/Saudi in general?5)  What is the typical range for renting a property 2-3 bedrooms min-max rent in a compound and if it is advisable to live outside a compound at all?6) What is the security situation in Khobar?7) Is there anything that caught you out when you moved to Saudi/Khobar. Specifically if you have children? e.g. something was extortionately expensive for children swimming lessons or schooling etc.?CheersOzzy    Hello,1 - British and American curriculum are from SR 40k - 80k per year2 - No taxes in KSA, you do have a dependent fee of SR 400 per dependent of yours (wife + kid will be SR 800 per month), I am not sure how the taxation works for you in the UK3 - Water is SR 9 for a 20 litre can, Electricity on average can be SR 400, Gas is SR 21-22, Broadband cheapest is SR 290 per month. Cost of living compared to UK should be lower here4 - Very easy, get a D/L and get a car5 - Compound starts for SR 40k - SR 150k and above yearly. It is also absolutely safe to stay outside compounds also which range from SR 20k-80k yearly6 - Absolutely safe, nothing to worry about7 - I haven't come across anything that absurd other than schooling if it's British or American curriculumHope this helps! 

Many thanks for your useful reply. This would help me alot whilst negotiating the contract.